Live shows improving opinions of YoR songs?

King Leer

Leering since '97
The tour has really only just begun, but for those here who were not impressed by YoR before, have the live renditions of the new songs made you like it more, less, or not changed your opinion? Those following on Youtube can chime in, too but it's obviously a poor substitute for being there. And has the same pattern held true for other albums, or is it different this time?

Plus, I haven't been able to find comments about the single (?) time Birthday was performed. Wonder why it was dropped. Carol (my favourite track on YoR, among five close contenders) has been soundchecked it seems.

All songs will be played in the end, as was the case with Ringleader, except maybe You Were Good In Your Time.

From what I've heard the reception of the new songs has been less than rapturous, as was the case in 2006 with most Ringleader-songs, so I do expect (hope) he will limit YoR-material to 5 or 6 songs per show.

Conversely, there are people in the main page threads asking for the whole album to be played (or at least more tracks than are currently). Can't recall as much of that with Quarry and especially not Ringleader.

Can't see You Were Good being aired, either. Especiallly not with Seasick in the lineup. Loving the renditions of that latter, by the way.

All songs will be played in the end, as was the case with Ringleader, except maybe You Were Good In Your Time.

From what I've heard the reception of the new songs has been less than rapturous, as was the case in 2006 with most Ringleader-songs, so I do expect (hope) he will limit YoR-material to 5 or 6 songs per show.

My opinions have not changed. I still find it mediocre. I am actually glad that he isn't playing more songs from YoR. When I read people say they believe he should play the entire album, I was sort of shocked. If he'd play the entire album, that would leave little room for anything else, and he would for sure fill the remaining time with the has been tracks, like IBEH, FOTGTD, HSIN, etc. My favorite thing about Morrissey shows is that he does play a little bit from all the "eras" of his career, not just the most recent one. It's nice to hear a song that was written 20 years ago right next to a song that was on an album that came out two months ago. When I saw Modest Mouse with Marr, they only played songs from their latest couple of albums and I was SO DISAPPOINTED.

Keep the YoR to about 4-5 songs, and play some other favorites that are more clasically great.

My opinions have not changed. I still find it mediocre. I am actually glad that he isn't playing more songs from YoR. When I read people say they believe he should play the entire album, I was sort of shocked. If he'd play the entire album, that would leave little room for anything else, and he would for sure fill the remaining time with the has been tracks, like IBEH, FOTGTD, HSIN, etc. My favorite thing about Morrissey shows is that he does play a little bit from all the "eras" of his career, not just the most recent one. It's nice to hear a song that was written 20 years ago right next to a song that was on an album that came out two months ago. When I saw Modest Mouse with Marr, they only played songs from their latest couple of albums and I was SO DISAPPOINTED.

Keep the YoR to about 4-5 songs, and play some other favorites that are more clasically great.

For those who do not appreciate YOR in full I say that in about 5 to 10 years you will have a different opinion. It can take a long time , especially with songs i believe, in order the get the full flavour.

Plus, I haven't been able to find comments about the single (?) time Birthday was performed. Wonder why it was dropped.

Yes. I was wondering about that too. Seems strange that there was no mention AT ALL, neither positive or negative. Maybe he just didn't like how it fit in with the rest of the setlist.

I for one cannot wait to hear (the new) YOR songs live esp I'm Okay By Myself and the aforementioned Birthday.

I don't get all the YOR hate. It's a good album. Not tremendous, ground-breaking or re-defining. But was any Moz album ever that?

With Quarry, the generally positive buzz was increased by the Comeback Factor. With Ringleader, while the musicical direction was derided the lyrical content and the seemingly personal revelations made by Moz again generated some buzz.

With YOR it appears it's back to business as usual for Moz. And I for one am okay with that. I'm happy that he's the same. I don't want a re-invention on every album.

Sure, his sound is now as muscular as he is ; he's both physically and musically a million miles away from the days of Stretch Out And Wait but the best thing about it is you can follow his work, his career and see how he got there. It's been a natural progression. It's not like he sat down with Boz after Ringleader and said " Right! Less flowery strings and more distorted guitars please Boz."

Anyway, I want to hear some oldies, Smiths and Solo, mixed with the new YOR songs and I'm sure he won't let me down. Roll on May.

GC

For those who do not appreciate YOR in full I say that in about 5 to 10 years you will have a different opinion. It can take a long time , especially with songs i believe, in order the get the full flavour.

what? so how can you say that it's so great? you haven't had time to sit with it for longer than any of the detractors....how do you know YOUR opinion won't change with time? geeez :confused:

Back
Top Bottom