A couple of YoR songs sound like older Moz songs...

...:confused:

One day goodbye (starts out like) First of the Gang to Die.
It's not your birthday (sounds like) Black Eyed Susan.
Black cloud ( sounds like) Best friend on the payroll.

Either way, I love YoR and I think it's some of his best work. But my only critique is that the songs are very predictable - you know - the same guitar riffs. Back in the Bona Drag days, his songs were all different and they all had a distinct sound to them. Some of the Tormentor and Refusal songs sometimes seem to blend and I am especially having a hard time naming songs.

Ahhh, I'm just having a bitchy day. You guys enjoy your day.

...:confused:

One day goodbye (starts out like) First of the Gang to Die.
It's not your birthday (sounds like) Black Eyed Susan.
Black cloud ( sounds like) Best friend on the payroll.

Either way, I love YoR and I think it's some of his best work. But my only critique is that the songs are very predictable - you know - the same guitar riffs. Back in the Bona Drag days, his songs were all different and they all had a distinct sound to them. Some of the Tormentor and Refusal songs sometimes seem to blend and I am especially having a hard time naming songs.

Ahhh, I'm just having a bitchy day. You guys enjoy your day.

To be fair, lots of the Bona Drag songs sound very, very different because it's a compilation and one that features entirely different band line-ups recording at different times and different sessions! So they will sound different in much the same way that on My Early Burglary Years the songs sound very distinct - whereas on Viva Hate, for example, there's a noticeable, Vini-inspired similarity on many tracks, because they are from the same sessions.

Had the actual Bona Drag album appeared as mooted I think there would have been a very distinctive overall Langer and Winstanley sound: Piccadilly Palare and Striptease With A Difference sounding very similar and Madness-esque. I think there's a nice blend of styles on Years of Refusal as well as a nice overall timbre to the album which binds the songs together as they should on an album...

... but I must say I don't think any of those songs you mention sound similar at all! :)

Best Friend On The Payroll - Black Cloud

I'm listening to Best Friend now and I've just noticed it really sounds like Black Cloud, has anyone else noticed this?

Ahh, Moz hasn't changed, his music is still brilliant and always be.

Re: Best Friend On The Payroll - Black Cloud

I don't hear it myself, but I think that the main riff in You Have Killed Me sounds similar to the riff in Best Friend.

I don't hear these comparisons, but I do think All You Need is Me sounds like First of the Gang to Die. The intro is almost identical except that FOTGTD's intro is played on guitar and AYNIM's intro is on the bass.
Compare the "And he stole from the rich...." part to "you don't like me, but you love me.." part. The structure of the songs is exactly the same!

I thought about the similarities early on but didn't want to say a word, LOL.

I guess the boys writing the music are listening to Moz's early work for inspiration? :lbf:

His band is sketching tunes with a box of well-used Crayolas. Don't expect Van Goghs to emerge. The voice is paramount.

the reason why the songs often sound the same is you have too many people involved who are either too old, too lazy or not talented enough to vary the style of the songs from one to the next
this problem is likely only to get worse if Morrissey makes more albums :(
still, the basic style is about 70% good most of the time
and every once and a while they make a gr8 song like Shame is the Name :thumb:

Last edited:
His band is sketching tunes with a box of well-used Crayolas. Don't expect Van Goghs to emerge. The voice is paramount.

I love that analogy! :thumb:

Weren't people comparing 'Mama...' with 'Roy's Keen', a while back? Or did I imagine it? Either way, I'm rubbish at these kind of comparisons. I rarely ever hear similarities in melodies. :o

I love that analogy! :thumb:

Weren't people comparing 'Mama...' with 'Roy's Keen', a while back? Or did I imagine it? Either way, I'm rubbish at these kind of comparisons. I rarely ever hear similarities in melodies. :o

no offense Poppy, but you really dont hear the similarity in many Moz songs? :straightface:
are you perhaps tone deaf or have disabled hearing of some kind?, its an honest question :o

ps: this question is for the others that hear little similarity in many moz songs as well :cool:
& for the record, i have slightly reduced hearing in my right ear :eek:

the reason why the songs often sound the same is you have too many people involved who are either too old, too lazy or not talented enough to vary the style of the songs from one to the next

Does age really matter?
no.

this problem is likely only to get worse if Morrissey makes more albums :(

but, it will get better if he stops? ;)

still, the basic style is about 70% good most of the time
and every once and a while they make a gr8 song like Shame is the Name :thumb:

dingdingdingding! :thumb:

actually it does a lot of the time, older musicians often get set in their ways :eek:
this seems pretty clear to me with Moz and company :o

True. But, that's the fault of the individual, not the age. A 25 year old musician could be just as set-in as a 56 year old.

no offense Poppy, but you really dont hear the similarity in many Moz songs? :straightface:
are you perhaps tone deaf or have disabled hearing of some kind?, its an honest question :o

ps: this question is for the others that hear little similarity in many moz songs as well :cool:
& for the record, i have slightly reduced hearing in my right ear :eek:

Not in the melodies, no. Sometimes if people mention similarities, I then think 'Oh, yeah', but I never notice musical similarties myself, only lyrical. Do you play any instruments, Robby? I don't, so maybe that is why I don't notice these things.
I'm not tone-deaf and my hearing is top-notch, fortunately. :thumb:

Not in the melodies, no. Sometimes if people mention similarities, I then think 'Oh, yeah', but I never notice musical similarties myself, only lyrical. Do you play any instruments, Robby? I don't, so maybe that is why I don't notice these things.
I'm not tone-deaf and my hearing is top-notch, fortunately. :thumb:

oh, ok & no, i dont play musical instrument, but everyone i know does :o
also, i know how to use garage band :lbf:
anyways, they all tell me that many Morrissey songs sound the same to them
not the lyrics, but the music :straightface:
i tell them they are wrong, but see, "secretly" i agree :eek:
and i suppose we do too, sort of :confused:

does anyone think that the bass line in 'black cloud' sounds very similar to the one used on the song 'tomorrow'?

i think they sound almost identical, black cloud is just a little slower

not that it's a bad thing

does anyone think that the bass line in 'black cloud' sounds very similar to the one used on the song 'tomorrow'?

i think they sound almost identical, black cloud is just a little slower

not that it's a bad thing

yeah, i thought the same, also i thought, that the SP song "honey you know where to find me" sounds a lot like "you just havent earned it yet baby"

but thinking of all his songs he has really little similarities, (and I mean the vocal melodies only) -> I remember him saying that he avoids that and always wants to find new melodies, which only didnt work twice throughout his whole career, and he noticed too late)

Back
Top Bottom