Just out of interest, how does everyone feel 'bout Southpaw Grammar?

• Thread starter Rooooaarrrrrrr!!!
  • Start date
I love it!
Its just behind my 2 favorite Moz albums: 1)Your Arsenal 2)Vauxhall & I.

I'm not sure why so many people hate Southpaw, its a great sound of a band playing together - Moz doesnt dominate as much as he does on say Kill Uncle or Malajusted. Moz is the king of the 2 and a half minute song, but after several albums its nice to hear something new as he takles some epics. It is true that if you just pick out the songs one by one they may not be stunning, but this is really an album that can only be appreciated in its entirety.

An underrated classic, and Moz's last great record, for me the period from Your Arsenal - Southpaw were Moz solo golden years, every release was great.

Not Moz' best solo offering in my opinion, definately not at his best lyrically on this one, but I can understand the direction he was trying to go with it, it is more raw than anything he has done. Reader Meet Author is one of my top Moz tracks though - fantastic. If Boxers and Sunny were included on the album and a couple of the weaker tracks substituted for B Sides it would have been better.

I love it!! I am a big Alain Whyte fan and his presence is definitely felt on this record. "The Operation" and "Best Friend on the Payroll" are among my favorites, but I love every song on there. Probably my favorite ablume next to Your Arsenal.

Hum...

I'm one of the few (?...) people who love Southpaw Grammar. I thought it was a stunning, underrated masterpiece - which just goes to show that people's opinions can be, er, very different. I know someone who utterly *hates* that album, and pretends it doesn't exist! Tch. Shame on them.

Anyway, it's a top album. One of Morrissey's best for me, certainly. In fact, I'm going to listen to it now - you just can't beat the vocals on "Reader Meets Author". :)

SJ.

Utterly appalling

Moz's weakest solo effort to that date.... how could we know that his songwriting (?!) would disintegrate further into the shambolic pile of hideousness that he called 'Maladjusted'?

Not only is 'Southpaw' the sound of a rudderless ex-songwriter who has simply run out of ideas (most of the songs sound like he was making them up as he was recording them, let's be honest), but it also comes housed in the most appalling, shoddy, artless sleeve to ever grace a Morrissey record. Truly shameful.

I just wish this album didn't exist.

Back
Top Bottom