It's not your birthday anymore

It's the "love I'm giving to you on the floor" bit that does it for everyone, innit?

The music on this album is dull and unoriginal, but these lyrics made me laugh, not sure if it's a good thing, i thought "he can't be serious" i couldn't believe he went there again, the unhappy birthday thing. but these are probably my favourite lyrics so far.
poor album.

I'm still perplexed by the birthday thing. I think it has to do with shifting the cycle of life or something, I don't know. Like when one person dies another is born, but sometimes one can get mixed up in the transfer and it's frustrating for some reason. If you look at the typed lyrics there are two messages repeated twice. Repeating is essential, it draws attention to hidden truth. The end of the first repeated stanza is "own" or "won" or "one."
The beginning of the second repeated stanza is "all," reflecting Dr. Bronner's soapy clean message of All One. So it's an admission that evil and goodness are intertwined in the cosmos, yet still a song about the frustration of being held down by the corporeal body and all it's desires while simultaneously being pure of heart. It's an incredibly deep song, but the birthday part must be linked to the regeneration aspect of it. I'm not sure. It's so beautifully sung too, one of my favorite tracks. :) Also syrupy is getting ribbed a lot, but maple syrup, or Maypole syrup is extracted from trees, symbolically the axis of the earth. May poles and the earth is complicated, but I think that's the link. The dawning of the new age is signalled by the rotation of those poles.

3183806125_95d8910e4b.jpg

About regeneration, in the next song he concludes that wherever you are, are you aware you have just died. He's saying this to the person who's assistance "they" no longer need. So if he died, he was also born. But that birth is perhaps frustrating or painful for Morrissey so he's sick of celebrating it. OR he's saying, it's "our" birthday now, let us be born, let the poles even out, it's time.

I'm literally working this out here which is dumb, I haven't backed this up any, I'm just mindlessly and tiredly theorizing, but something's going on in these last four songs. It's as though they're all the same message.

Last edited:
and the will to see you smile and belong has now gone

I love these lyrics!

...and it's becoming increasingly difficult to resist and wait for the album release in February :sick:

and the will to see you smile and belong has now gone

I love these lyrics!

I immediately thought of snubbing the Cheshire cat here upon first listen. :)

Emotional MOZ cries @ end of Its Not Your Birthday Anymore

So, I read/and heard the lyrics to Its not your Birthday Anymore...
And I dunno, I can't quite understand why he gets all emotional/ and high pitched towards the end of the song.
In fact, I'm not sure what's goin on in the song to be honest :p
From the sound of it you'd think he was breaking up with his boyfriend. hah!

Anyway. I would appreciate if someone gave me their indepth analysis of the song :)

Re: Emotional MOZ cries @ end of Its Not Your Birthday Anymore

And I dunno, I can't quite understand why he gets all emotional/ and high pitched towards the end of the song.

Anyway. I would appreciate if someone gave me their indepth analysis of the song :)

An orgasm?

emomoz.jpg

You could almost read it as a birthday-based rewrite of Last Christmas! As in it was the person's birthday yesterday... but today things between them are different. But obviously the mention of a birthday echoes the Smiths and Unhappy Birthday and even the unreleased I Want A Boyfriend For My Birthday... so I think he is saying it's not the days of Smithdom anymore. And then in the context of the track-listing, he is saying it's not not your birthday anymore followed by You Were Good In Your Time - which is almost like saying the same thing: you were good once, back in the old days, but those days are now gone... In fact, I would say the last four songs are chosen to, er, thematically drive that particular point home at the very end of the album. So I read it all as Morrissey saying the days of The Smiths are gone and he is now okay by himself i.e. solo!

Last edited:

Well, he is giving love to someone on the floor - maybe the floor is very cold. :p

You could almost read it as a birthday-based rewrite of Last Christmas! As in it was the person's birthday yesterday... but today things between them are different. But obviously the mention of a birthday echoes the Smiths and Unhappy Birthday and even the unreleased I Want A Boyfriend For My Birthday... so I think he is saying it's not the days of Smithdom anymore. And then in the context of the track-listing, he is saying it's not not your birthday anymore followed by You Were Good In Your Time - which is almost like saying the same thing: you were good once, back in the old days, but those days are now gone... In fact, I would say the last four songs are chosen to, er, thematically drive that particular point home at the very end of the album. So I read it all as Morrissey saying the days of The Smiths are gone and he is now okay by himself i.e. solo!

interesting, I prefer this theory to the rape one as I find that unsettling yet a genius example of morrissey insight into the human mind

I think I'm reading it alot simpler than most of you...

I think it just has to do with being nice to someone when you have to be. we all do that. we are all fake to an extent. when people ask "how are you?" and you say "fine." most of the time I bet we really honestly don't give a shit how that person is doing, but the polite thing to do is ask "how are YOU doing?" it sounds like Morrissey is talking about some relationship gone wrong, but he was put in an uncomfortable situation (maybe this persons birthday party? i know i know, SO literal right? :rolleyes:) and maybe he couldnt show his true feelings infront of this person. or maybe this person knew how he felt, but he didnt wanna show the whole crowd this. So he forces himself to go to this function, or this party, or someones house and this PERSON is there, and he puts on a front that he's okay, but he knows after that day is over, he can go back to hating this person.

I think it just has to do with being nice to someone when you have to be. we all do that. we are all fake to an extent. when people ask "how are you?" and you say "fine." most of the time I bet we really honestly don't give a shit how that person is doing, but the polite thing to do is ask "how are YOU doing?" it sounds like Morrissey is talking about some relationship gone wrong, but he was put in an uncomfortable situation (maybe this persons birthday party? i know i know, SO literal right? :rolleyes:) and maybe he couldnt show his true feelings infront of this person. or maybe this person knew how he felt, but he didnt wanna show the whole crowd this. So he forces himself to go to this function, or this party, or someones house and this PERSON is there, and he puts on a front that he's okay, but he knows after that day is over, he can go back to hating this person.

yes. i feel the same.

I like this too, thanks I wil enjoy the song more now.
I know how this feels as I try to be professional at work though gritted teeth.

THANK YOU!
That makes alot more sense now actually. Never thought about it that way.
I always really liked "Unhappy Birthday"
Specially the lyric "loved and lost, and some may say, when usually its nothing, surely you're happy it should be this way"
Its sharp like a knife. It gets me all wet even now.

Back
Top Bottom