It is a shame Morrissey didn't mention anything about Jerry

Jerry Finn, the producer of 'You Are The Quarry' and the upcoming 'Years of Refusal', passed away on August 21. Morrissey has yet to issue a statement of any kind expressing his feelings on the situation and how it will (if at all) effect 'Years of Refusal' on the site he has chosen as his mouthpiece, True-To-You.net.

He did however post a message on August 14 about not buying the "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" DVD because he wouldn't get any royalties from it and subsequently has posted messages concerning 'Southpaw Grammar' and upcoming tour dates. I'm sure SOME people will excuse it away but I think it says volumes about someone who will take the time to write a message about money and not write at least a memory or sentiments to the family about a supposed 'friend' who has passed on.

And no, 'Years of Refusal' was not delayed because of Jerry Finn's passing. Anyone who works for a company like BMG, HMV or Amazon can tell you that it was pushed back 'until the new year' long before he had a hemorrhage.

Jerry Finn, the producer of 'You Are The Quarry' and the upcoming 'Years of Refusal', passed away on August 21. Morrissey has yet to issue a statement of any kind expressing his feelings on the situation and how it will (if at all) effect 'Years of Refusal' on the site he has chosen as his mouthpiece, True-To-You.net.

He did however post a message on August 14 about not buying the "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" DVD because he wouldn't get any royalties from it and subsequently has posted messages concerning 'Southpaw Grammar' and upcoming tour dates. I'm sure SOME people will excuse it away but I think it says volumes about someone who will take the time to write a message about money and not write at least a memory or sentiments to the family about a supposed 'friend' who has passed on.

And no, 'Years of Refusal' was not delayed because of Jerry Finn's passing. Anyone who works for a company like BMG, HMV or Amazon can tell you that it was pushed back 'until the new year' long before he had a hemorrhage.

Would I be correct in saying that nothing official has come from Morrissey since the 'Hollywood Bowl' release?
Isn't it conceivable that Morrissey's "people", as well as Morrissey himself use the site as a mouthpiece?

I don't understand our current need to have celebrities lay everything out 'on-the-record' for us? Why do you NEED to know Morrissey's feelings about Jerry Finn's passing one way or another?
Why do we expect celebrities who make a disparaging remark about a certain cause to pay money/support that cause just so we know they're sorry? (I'm thinking Morrissey/Jade Goody paying money to anti-racism charities).

Would I be correct in saying that nothing official has come from Morrissey since the 'Hollywood Bowl' release?
Isn't it conceivable that Morrissey's "people", as well as Morrissey himself use the site as a mouthpiece?

I don't understand our current need to have celebrities lay everything out 'on-the-record' for us? Why do you NEED to know Morrissey's feelings about Jerry Finn's passing one way or another?
Why do we expect celebrities who make a disparaging remark about a certain cause to pay money/support that cause just so we know they're sorry? (I'm thinking Morrissey/Jade Goody paying money to anti-racism charities).

I agree. We do not need a statement regarding this.

Even if it is solely 'Morrissey's people' using the site of late, they still can't do it without his approval...or else they wouldn't be 'his people' for much longer. However, you seem to be missing the point. Morrissey has no problem at all "laying things out for the record" as long as they concern his image or his money. See - his Mike Joyce statements, his NME statements, his Hollywood Bowl DVD statement, his Sound of the Smiths statement.

It just makes someone look bad (at least in the eyes of someone not deathly obsessed with them) who can take the time to write paragraph upon paragraph to repair their image or keep someone they hate from making money but not one sentence about the passing of a 'friend'.

I think your post is quite unfair. You can't dictate to someone how and when they should publicly respond to a terrible blow like the untimely death of someone in their life. You seem to imply that Morrissey is indifferent to the tragedy that hit Jerry Finn. I suspect he's too upset to speak about it to the press at this time.

I think your post is quite unfair. You can't dictate to someone how and when they should publicly respond to a terrible blow like the untimely death of someone in their life. You seem to imply that Morrissey is indifferent to the tragedy that hit Jerry Finn. I suspect he's too upset to speak about it to the press at this time.
I'm not dictating anything. I'm not saying he should say anything now. The time to say something was right after it happened. I'm simply saying it makes him look bad to anyone who doesn't try to excuse away his every action.

After knowing that Morrissey flat-out lied in his Hot Press interview about Tony Visconti I find it a little hard to believe that Morrissey is truly friends with anyone and that he has anyone's feelings in mind but his own. By allowing releases to be made about his upcoming tour dates and merchandise yet keeping mum on Finn further supports what I believe.

I'm not dictating anything. I'm not saying he should say anything now. The time to say something was right after it happened. I'm simply saying it makes him look bad to anyone who doesn't try to excuse away his every action.

After knowing that Morrissey flat-out lied in his Hot Press interview about Tony Visconti I find it a little hard to believe that Morrissey is truly friends with anyone and that he has anyone's feelings in mind but his own. By allowing releases to be made about his upcoming tour dates and merchandise yet keeping mum on Finn further supports what I believe.

Death is an immensley private subject to many people. The problem in this country is that there is so much hysteria in the media surronding the deaths of those in the public eye- there are now expectations on how those who knew the dead person best should behave at a very emotional and confusing time. I don't think for a minute that Morrissey was unaffected by Finn's passing- people deal with death in different ways and it is not up to us to have preconceptions of how someone should behave in this instance. Four years after my Grandma's death I still find it very, very difficult to talk about her. It doesn't mean that I don't think about her everyday- how I deal with her death is my business. Just as how Morrissey dealing with the death of a close friend is very much his business.

And with reference to Morrissey issuing statements on other matters- how can you possibly compare a court case with someone dying?

Last edited:

It's a long time ago now, but I recall it took him awhile before making a public statement about Ronson's passing. And others in his life and career - if my memory is correct he doesn't say much in the press, except a comment here or there long after, revealing he was quite gutted by people in his life dying.

He's actually a rather private person, you know. He keeps his hidden, except for small bits.

I don't think I've ever been excessively easy on Morrissey, but as a rule I don't try and tell people what they're supposed to do when a tragedy hits their life. You're trying to suggest Morrissey is a cold-hearted person, which I don't think is true.

In any case, press releases about tour dates and merchandise are routine sorts of things. Those are easy. Let him mourn without obligations to comment on his mourning to the press.

I may not be up on things. Can you link me to this Hot Press interview? I think I missed it!

Last edited:
It's a long time ago now, but I recall it took him awhile before making a public statement about Ronson's passing. And others in his life and career - if my memory is correct he doesn't say much in the press, except a comment here or there long after, revealing he was quite gutted by people in his life dying.

He's actually a rather private person, you know. He keeps his hidden, except for small bits.

I don't think I've ever been excessively easy on Morrissey, but as a rule I don't try and tell people what they're supposed to do when a tragedy hits their life. You're trying to suggest Morrissey is a cold-hearted person, which I don't think is true.

In any case, press releases about tour dates and merchandise are routine sorts of things. Those are easy. Let him mourn without obligations to comment on his mourning to the press.

I may not be up on things. Can you link me to this Hot Press interview? I think I missed it!

I'm not going to comment further on this issue because it is obvious that I'll type myself to death. However, I'll say this - if it were anyone but Morrissey who did this people would be talking trash.

The Hot Press article has not appeared online other than photoscans. However, you can find the exact quote under the 'Visconti vs Finn' section of the 'Years of Refusal' wikipedia page.

"Tony wasn't ever in line for the job. He had started working with a band, Kentucky, and tied himself up with that. I wanted to try Jerry Finn again - he had produced You Are The Quarry, and we were in the enviable situation of having worked both with Tony and Jerry and had really enjoyed both. I'd love to do another album with Tony, and I feel blessed to have eventually found two ideal producers. They are both fantastic in equal measure. I wish I had met them earlier."

"Tony wasn't ever in line for the job. He had started working with a band, Kentucky, and tied himself up with that. I wanted to try Jerry Finn again - he had produced You Are The Quarry, and we were in the enviable situation of having worked both with Tony and Jerry and had really enjoyed both. I'd love to do another album with Tony, and I feel blessed to have eventually found two ideal producers. They are both fantastic in equal measure. I wish I had met them earlier."

What is the lie?

I'm asking because I really haven't kept up on things that closely of late.

Seems like a nice quote to me.

I'm not going to comment further on this issue because it is obvious that I'll type myself to death. However, I'll say this - if it were anyone but Morrissey who did this people would be talking trash.

I don't think so. If someone feels the need to issue a statement regarding the death of their mum/dad/daughter/son/close friend/neighbour/colleague/acquaintance then fair enough. That's up to them But if they don't then that is absolutely their business. Their grieving process is exactly that- THEIR. GRIEVING. PROCESS. I certainly wouldn't dream of "trashing" someone for doing so.

What is the lie?

I'm asking because I really haven't kept up on things that closely of late.

Seems like a nice quote to me.

Nearly the whole quote was a lie. Morrissey lead Visconti on about producing his next album meanwhile he worked with Jerry Finn behind Tony's back and talked trash about him to Kristeen Young. Even while recording with Finn he promised Visconti he was "our man for the new album".

I don't think so. If someone feels the need to issue a statement regarding the death of their mum/dad/daughter/son/close friend/neighbour/colleague/acquaintance then fair enough. That's up to them But if they don't then that is absolutely their business. Their grieving process is exactly that- THEIR. GRIEVING. PROCESS. I certainly wouldn't dream of "trashing" someone for doing so.
You're only one of how many members on this forum though? Believe me, if Dick Cheney died (though most people here wouldn't care) and Bush didn't take the time to even acknowledge it TONS of people on here would add that to their list of "the many ways Bush is an asshole". However, this isn't a President. This is Morrissey. He basically did the same thing. The only thing is, people choose to attack those they don't like for the same things they tend to forgive those they like for.

Theo, you know that with the well-rounded and thoughtful posts you have made on this thread, Kewpie will struggle to label you a troll in future! :p

And back on topic...perhaps it would have been nice if Jerry's passing was at least acknowledged on TTY. One sentence, no need to express feelings or emotions, just something to suggest he wasn't indifferent to it (but I don't believe he was).
But I'm not going to criticise him for his silence, everyone acts differently to death.

You're only one of how many members on this forum though? Believe me, if Dick Cheney died (though most people here wouldn't care) and Bush didn't take the time to even acknowledge it TONS of people on here would add that to their list of "the many ways Bush is an asshole". However, this isn't a President. This is Morrissey. He basically did the same thing. The only thing is, people choose to attack those they don't like for the same things they tend to forgive those they like for.

I wouldn't care either way. I'm not American.

Nearly the whole quote was a lie. Morrissey lead Visconti on about producing his next album meanwhile he worked with Jerry Finn behind Tony's back and talked trash about him to Kristeen Young. Even while recording with Finn he promised Visconti he was "our man for the new album".

And you know this how?

Did you see the comment Visconti made about Jerry on his myspace page? If he's not bitter, why are you on his behalf?

it is quite a shame, the nearest we will get from Moz regarding the Passing of Jerry will be a sentence probably printed on the artwork of Years of Refusal. Oh and maybe he'll mention Jerry in Live shows, but either way hes not going to publicly acknowledge the man's passing until at least january.

It does strike me as odd, though Im not digging into Moz, I'm just saying. Im sure hes got his reasons.

I seem to believe c 1993 three professional and quite possibly personal confidantes of Morrissey died within a short time of each other to which Morrissey didn't feel the need to pronounce with public press statements and turning up for their obituaries. However these losses and thier effects certainly made themselves loud and clear within Vauxhall & I. Which is probably why its Morrissey's most loved and personal LP due to its endearing openness, honesty and brevity.

Also when Kirsty Maccoll died (they were close I would venture) Morrissey only made a small statement to which he expanded a few years later.

People deal with grief in varying ways. Just because in this day and age someone is expected to have a quick soundbite who they were close to in a professional capacity doesn't mean they have to.

Hello. New here. Didn't really want to start on an argumentative note, but I don't think we can infer anything about Morrissey's character from his decision not to issue a statement concerning Jerry Finn's death. So far as I know, he's never issued statements concerning the deaths of anyone else close to him. However, when asked, he is always expressive and respectful. For example, when asked about Kirsty MacColl, he said, "She's irreplaceable to me." A beautiful sentiment. Perhaps, he's just wary of the whole exploitative, publicity-seeking, celebrity bandwagon that always seems to trail in the wake of any public figure's death.

And, in reference to the 'Hollywood Bowl' royalties issue, am I the only one who saw Morrissey's statement as simply making it clear that he wasn't distancing himself from a poorly-conceived product on the one hand whilst hypocritically clawing in the money with the other? My initial reaction was "Good for you", and I was quite surprised at the backlash. It seemed like wilful misinterpretation to me.

Anyway, hello, everyone. Hope you'll invite me back.

He has, actually. In Rolling Stone, Sept 18, 2008:

"Jerry was successful producer with no ego, no sellouts, no zoo antics, no thirst for power," says Morrissey. "Just a love of music and a high level of fastidiousness."

From this post. If you can find a copy of the magazine, it's a very moving and lovely obituary.

Back
Top Bottom