house of love

N

noam

their "best of" is on heavy rotation on my player...
they are the best guitar band, sounding so much more sincere than u2, and actually more powerfull than the smiths.

To Noam

Re: House of Love

Powerful in the volume and 'thrash' senses perhaps, but you can't tell me that Guy Chadwick's lyrics bowl you over. I liked the eponymous first album and when I saw them live they had great stage presence. Wasn't 'Destroy the Heart' a monster of a single? - lots of potential for air guitar - but it still doesn't come close to the awesome 'Queen is Dead'. Morrissey's lyrics are funnier too. 'So I broke into the palace with a sponge and a rusty spanner........'

I met ol' Chadders at a Stone Roses gig in, um, 1988 and he said that he wished he'd written 'Vicar in a Tutu'

Tingle Tingle

> their "best of" is on heavy rotation on my player...
> they are the best guitar band, sounding so much more sincere
> than u2, and actually more powerfull than the smiths.

Re: house of cack

House of Love were awful. Guy Chadwick's lyrics were a pallid example of an arty-farty English ex-public schoolie, trying to be all pretentious and mysterious, yet falling flat on his face. Their only saving grace was the guitarwork of the bloke who left. They were knackered when he departed.

There's much better stuff to spend your cash on. Try one of The Chameleons albums for a truly great, almost-forgotten British guitar band. "Strange Times" is an excellent starter.

Re: house of love (mostly forgettable with some exceptions)

They were a huge disappointment although the initial release of "Shine On" (not the insipid re-recorded 1990 version) in 1987 predicted great things. "Christine" and "Destroy The Heart" were great singles but the debut LP was largely a mess of uninspired chaos and pretentious ramblings. After that they just got worse.....

The 3 great hopes for 1989: NME's 1st issue of the year put HOL, Darling Buds and The Wonderstuff on the cover as the new saviours. What a bloody joke!

The Field Mice would have been a much more appropriate choice.

> their "best of" is on heavy rotation on my player...
> they are the best guitar band, sounding so much more sincere
> than u2, and actually more powerfull than the smiths.

I think not...but hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinion...ever tried the trashcan sinatras...very cool...

Back
Top Bottom