Morrissey Central "FRIDAY 26 JULY" (April 13, 2024)

full

On Friday 26 July, Warner Records will re-issue Morrissey's 1993 live in Paris album, Beethoven Was Deaf. The release is global, and the album will be available on CD, black vinyl, and orange vinyl.
The album originally reached #13 in England, but was not released in the U.S. The venue is the Zenith in Paris.

Two special event concerts are planned to launch the July release. Please watch this site for details. New sleeve above.

Beethoven Was Deaf to be reissued: https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/friday-26-july

Media item:

Last edited by a moderator:
It is like the Rolling Stones re-releasing their brilliant 1969 live album "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out" with a cover depicting them performing on their 1981 Tattoo You tour. Totally different time and space, it makes absolutely NO SENSE.
Nah, compare it more with a newly cover from the "50 Licks tour".

Expect Morrissey to play a large LIHS and WPINOYB medley during the announced special events and you won't be truly disappointed when he plays "Notre Dame" instead.

Why oh why is there (what appears to be) a blessed pube on the cover? Heads should roll.

Nah, compare it more with a newly cover from the "50 Licks tour".

Expect Morrissey to play a large LIHS and WPINOYB medley during the announced special events and you won't be truly disappointed when he plays "Notre Dame" instead.
You know, it is an odd psychological thing Morrissey has going on. In 2006, he probably wished he looked like he did in 1992 and depicted on the Beethoven was Deaf cover. The thought of replacing that cool cover with an up to date photo would have likely horrified him. But here we are in 2024 and he probably wishes he looks like he did in 2006. I think he is pretty pleased with his looks in every era, except the one he is currently in.

it's an insanely awful sleeve for this release. very unprofessional.
I can't imagine that it will look like this when it comes out, but who knows.
is someone using microsoft paint on that end??

The drab, indifferent cover art is going to further drive up prices for the 1993 vinyl edition. Issue one is replacing the era-specific art with later photos. Issue two is the vast-bordering-on-infinite number of better photo choices from anywhere between then and now.

You know, it is an odd psychological thing Morrissey has going on. In 2006, he probably wished he looked like he did in 1992 and depicted on the Beethoven was Deaf cover. The thought of replacing that cool cover with an up to date photo would have likely horrified him. But here we are in 2024 and he probably wishes he looks like he did in 2006. I think he is pretty pleased with his looks in every era, except the one he is currently in.

I thought you would be surprised that he didn’t choose a photo from 92 of his younger self, but instead went with an older image.

My thoughts on him not liking his younger image or even who he was at a younger age, is in a way, now reinforced by him not choosing a photo even from 92.

Does anyone know when he last played each of the sings from Beethoven live? I've been looking on YouTube and it seems it's been a long time for some of them.

Given that I'm assuming the gigs to support Beethoven will include him playing the tracks from it, this would be interesting to know and I'm sure someone knows these things or a few different people do and can contribute.

I didn't know whether to start a new thread for this or not but anyway, I would love to hear Glamorous Glue, November, Sister I'm a Poet and Seasick live again! As long as the set isn't the same as last year it'll be awesome.

He played The Loop, We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful and Jack the Ripper when I last saw him in Manchester in 2022, and he played those songs across the entirety of that tour.

He has also played Suedehead a lot over recent years.

I'm sure Famous when dead could tell you more.

He played The Loop, We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful and Jack the Ripper when I last saw him in Manchester in 2022, and he played those songs across the entirety of that tour.

He has also played Suedehead a lot over recent years.

I'm sure Famous when dead could tell you more.

Yeah, it looks like he's played a fair number of those songs in the past 2/3 years... not 100% sure but it seems quite a while since he's played these songs:

Sister, I'm a Poet
Such a Little Thing Makes Such a Big Difference
National Front Disco
Certain People I know
He Knows I'd Love To See Him

Probably a few others as well

Yeah, it looks like he's played a fair number of those songs in the past 2/3 years... not 100% sure but it seems quite a while since he's played these songs:

Sister, I'm a Poet
Such a Little Thing Makes Such a Big Difference
National Front Disco
Certain People I know
He Knows I'd Love To See Him

Probably a few others as well

Sister I'm A Poet was 2009 I think??

Edit: stats here - https://www.setlist.fm/stats/morrissey-73d6ae15.html. Don't know how accurate they are!

Have never been a fan of the live album genre. Especially when the live album is basically just live versions of songs on studio albums or singles. I did buy BWD back in 1993 when it was released, but it was never an album that I loved. I will occasionally listen to a live album that contains songs never recorded in the studio by the artist, or, versions of songs that are significantly different from the studio version - a good example of such a live album is the 1969: Velvet Underground Live double album. But BWD I could always take or leave to be honest. As I say, same goes for live albums in general. 'Spoken word' live albums I do have time for. For example, the recording of Frankie Howerd at the Establishment Club from 1963 is a live album worth having. Absolute classic. With a very drunk Peter Cook laughing hysterically in the background.
I'm with you on your general opinion on live albums*. Although I love experiencing live music. They just don't really grab me, including dear ol' Mozzer's efforts (both with that band and solo). I'd prefer to watch a video eg Introducing Morrissey.

(*I quite like The Who Live At Leeds though.)

Can't see the point in this Beethoven reissue, I'm sure someone, somewhere will buy it.

Blimey, the prospect of that set-list: my head says buying a ticket would be insane, my heart says not buying a ticket would be insane.

I'm with you on your general opinion on live albums*. Although I love experiencing live music. They just don't really grab me, including dear ol' Mozzer's efforts (both with that band and solo). I'd prefer to watch a video eg Introducing Morrissey.

(*I quite like The Who Live At Leeds though.)

Can't see the point in this Beethoven reissue, I'm sure someone, somewhere will buy it.
Same here, i always thought it was a bit of a cop out when The Smiths or Moz put live tracks and not new songs on b sides, That Joke being an example. Because of that and That Joke being an album track makes it their least essential 45. Saying that, Beethoven Was Deaf and Rank are fantastic, essential albums.

Same here, i always thought it was a bit of a cop out when The Smiths or Moz put live tracks and not new songs on b sides, That Joke being an example. Because of that and That Joke being an album track makes it their least essential 45. Saying that, Beethoven Was Deaf and Rank are fantastic, essential albums.
Indeed. With the notable exception of something like The Smiths doing What's the World by James. Most live b-sides are a bit of a disappointment.

full

On Friday 26 July, Warner Records will re-issue Morrissey's 1993 live in Paris album, Beethoven Was Deaf. The release is global, and the album will be available on CD, black vinyl, and orange vinyl.
The album originally reached #13 in England, but was not released in the U.S. The venue is the Zenith in Paris.

Two special event concerts are planned to launch the July release. Please watch this site for details. New sleeve above.

Beethoven Was Deaf to be reissued: https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/friday-26-july
Bad new sleeve. Who's doing the art direction of his recent stuff?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom