Conservatives & Morrissey Fans

Kumo

Banned
Just wondering if any Politically Conservative Morrissey fans find his political views a turn off or detracting from his music?

Kumo

yes, i have never bought 'viva hate' or 'the queen is dead'.....but the rest of his charts hits are bang on tunes, that we play at our bridge club.

I think there are a few of us conservatives lurking around. I don't find it as a turnoff at all. I enjoy all his music....way too much by all accounts. :)

It's not so easy to classify his music or his personal opinions as right or left wing. It doesn't break down that easily. No surprise that he attracts fans from both sides.

It's not so easy to classify his music or his personal opinions as right or left wing. It doesn't break down that easily. No surprise that he attracts fans from both sides.

Uhh, Margaret On The Guillotine, Interesting Drug, countless interviews bashing George W Bush, praises for Barak Obama, and recent negative comments about Berlusconi would make me have to say he wears his politics on his sleve.

Kumo

Where is Mspendl when you need him to justify his existance?

Though to be fair, Morrissey has done a fair bit of Blair bashing over the last few years (and deservedly so, he is a Tory in disguise after all!)

Jukebox Jury

Where is Mspendl when you need him to justify his existance?

Though to be fair, Morrissey has done a fair bit of Blair bashing over the last few years (and deservedly so, he is a Tory in disguise after all!)

Jukebox Jury

except that blair is more tory than the tories

Uhh, Margaret On The Guillotine, Interesting Drug, countless interviews bashing George W Bush, praises for Barak Obama, and recent negative comments about Berlusconi would make me have to say he wears his politics on his sleve.

Kumo

Politics, yes. I'm familiar with his outspoken political views. Mostly they're pretty shallow, except where he relates politics to meat-eating, a subject about which he is incredibly emotional.

But taking a comprehensive view of his music, he has some conservative tendencies. I am not saying he is right wing, or a latent fascist. I'm saying it's a mixture. His body of work does not show many signs that he is as leftish or progressive as his more overt political slogans would indicate. I don't think you can simply carve up his opinions and stick him on a line graph and say "He's on the left!" It's complex, which makes him more interesting. Is he more left than right? Perhaps, although I don't think those labels exactly work in his case. But, yeah, for the sake of argument, more left than right. Still, he's complex enough that "conservatives" are just as likely to enjoy his music as anyone else.

Why would I, as a Conservative/Facist ( ;) ) care what his politcs are and how on earth would that make any difference to what I think of his music?

It's not as if I stick on Vauxhall and think, well it's alright, but if only he was singing about the benefits of a free and open market rather than the Now My Heart Is Full lyrics.

You might as well be asking if it's possible for people on the right to be friends with people on the left and visa versa when it's obviously possible as unless you're completely insane it really doesn't matter what side your on out in the 'real world' so to speak.

if anyone honestly thinks there is anything conservative in morrissey's work then they don't understand diddly squat about it. it's as simple as that.

It's not as if I stick on Vauxhall and think, well it's alright, but if only he was singing about the benefits of a free and open market rather than the Now My Heart Is Full lyrics.

He covered that topic on 'Shoplifters of the world', but that is a Smiths song, so you have probably never heard it!!
(is there a reason why I cant post smilies at the moment?)

Of course there is no reason as to why someone on the left cant listen to music made by someone on the right and vice versa, but it is like comedy. I personally cannot listen to (an alleged) comedian such as Jim Davidson with Tory leanings (''I'm off if Labour get in''. Great, there's the door Jim!) but I can listen to comedians with a lefty view as it reflects my own.

Of course every Morrissey song is not politically related, but I know if one of my heroes was lampooning my political views, even naming a song in honour of slicing off the head of one of the party's greatest leaders, then it would make me wonder how I can match the two up.
Just my thoughts Mspendl. Something more to discuss in two Friday's time, along with the six bands better than The Smiths that you promised to inform me about!

Jukebox Jury

I don't think you could say he is exclusively < >ist either, and the same goes for his appeal. In terms of right wing fans, I woud have thought what they like about him is his little Englander streak, and the fact that he doesn't concern himself with being overly politically correct.

Nothing about Morrissey is that simple.

ok - let's see: he's pro feminism, pro animal rights, pro gay rights, pro choice, anti gender roles, anti macho, anti monarchy, anti bush, anti blair, anti war...

ever met a conservative like that?

what exactly is "not that simple" about that?

Back
Top Bottom