Am I wrong ...

Just to eliminate any further doubt:

emu.jpg

:D Let's get serious shall we... I'd check UrbanDictionary.com, as their explanations can be rather... insightful :p

Oh my God these band names!
"I Hate Myself, A Day In Black And White, Funeral Diner, I Would Set Myself On Fire For You"
LMAO!

Pervomartovtsi said:
grupobio.jpg

in my lands, this is emo... god bless they haven't said they like Morrissey yet

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Those are teenie-boppers trying to be Roc<N'RoIIers [the other 99% percent of Emo bands are the same way!]

I've noticed that most of the "Emo" scene[fans] is mainIy composed of Ioser nerds, gee<s, and dor<s----teens who are too insignificant and booooring to get any of the "cooI" peopIe to even notice them,,,,they simpIy go through their entire high schooI years as invisibIe and wishing they were "in" with the popuIar crowd......It's just sad and pathetic!
I aIways feIt nothing but utter contempt for these peopIe who spend their entire time moping around because nobody pays attention to them .....whaa whaa whaaa!
Maybe if they'd stop whinnig and feeIing sorry about their Ioser status and concentrated more energy into deveIoping some baIIs and personaity, they wouIdn't be so repuIsed and ignored by the others.
[it's my rant of the day]

Last edited:
"a working-class face glares back
at me from the glass..."

says it all, doesn't it? (well it does to me).
It's the working-class ethos of trying to better one's self but as the old saying goes
'You can take the lad out of Stretford but you can't take Stretford out of the lad'.
He's bound to his past & that's what makes his work so appealing & real to us, he's only singing about how things affect(ed) him & that's the same things that affect us, 'cept he does it in his own unique style of course!
Dancing to life's rich tapestry, now that's a talent!
Don't pull the rug from underneath me!

love

Grim

SRA said:
Most people are a bit miserable or erratic anyway, Mozz fans or not, I dont think you should ever be ashamed to feel pissed off or depressed or feel pressured to wear a smile and be thankful all the time, that makes no sense to me, people should say how they feel, that's one of the most attractive aspects of Mozz to me, in a society where so many people hide their unhappiness or displeasure he's never been afraid to stand up and say "is it me or is everything a bit shit?" ;), albeit more poetically.

I agree. He usually does it in such a funny way though which is why it annoys me that people class his lyrics as 'depressing'. When I listen to Morrissey when I'm happy I stay happy, and when I listen to him when I'm sad he often cheers me up.

Pervomartovtsi said:
i don't know If I'm correct but you can drive in a porsche 611, dress in gucci suits and use gold and diamonds all over your body... and still when you come home at night feel hollow,alone and just want to die....

I'm not telling that Moz is just like that but...your post almost makes it look like money and luxury makes happiness

No not at all, I'm simply saying that IMO, he is not 1/2 as miserable as some of his fan base hope he is(so they can feel at one with him). Im speaking of the person who doesnt take good care of their health, they are overweight, they aviod friendships, they TRY HARD to stand out by wearing goofy clothes, they drive a beat up car that they plaster with stupid bumper stickers., etc etc. You know the type. Then they draw a line in the sand between them and the world and blame all their misery on everyone else and atleast they have their Morrissey. And I'm saying, wait a minute, Morrissey doesnt lead this kind of life. He sort of leads the OPPOSITE way of life.

Motorcycle Au Pair Girl said:
I agree. He usually does it in such a funny way though which is why it annoys me that people class his lyrics as 'depressing'. When I listen to Morrissey when I'm happy I stay happy, and when I listen to him when I'm sad he often cheers me up.

Bingo. I know some of his topics are depressing, but they are so real and when you hear someone else sharing them the way he does, it usually will make you happier. It has always worked like that for me. His music, though emotional and heart-filled, has never made me crawl under my bed and wish I was dead.

Hasn't he always worked to better himself and his lot in life?'

Only through music. I get the impression that had Moz stayed on at the hospital or the tax office he would have topped himself by now.

I think as others pointed out he values what he has (in terms of material goods) but you dont exactly see him out on the lash and pictured in the Sunday Papers in some shite celebrity nightclub do you?

I think this is one of the things that intrigues me about him. He is a music star but doesn't live the life of one.

I expect at times he is still miserable, I mean even if he wants a relationship for example he knows he has to be careful or a blow by blow account of the whole thing could be in some grubby tabloid if he picks a 'wrong un'.

Right Whinger said:
I think as others pointed out he values what he has (in terms of material goods) but you dont exactly see him out on the lash and pictured in the Sunday Papers in some shite celebrity nightclub do you?

I think this is one of the things that intrigues me about him. He is a music star but doesn't live the life of one.

I bet he does ocassionally go out on the lash, he just doesn't do it where he'll be seen. He seems to prefer spit and sawdust pubs rather than nightclubs.

And let's face it, those celebrities that go out to those in places, don't do it because they enjoy it do they? They do it because they want to be seen to be in the "in-crowd" and because they want to get their picture in the paper. I think many of them lead far more miserable lives than Morrissey does.

I" d just like to say what is opposite of depression /or fighting against it i.m.o Its his involment in things like animal rights. And just the fact that he is able to stand up at stage and sing is enough for me

I know this was said by someone else but the assumption that a successful person can't be "miserable" is clearly wrong. There are numerous examples throughout history of famous people leading lonely and empty lives and often ending up as drug-addicted wrecks or suicides.

For me there is no doubt that Morrissey's lyrics express a fundamentally bleak outlook on life. And the fact that he is so adept at wit and humour does not belie this but is rather motivated by it. His wit (perhaps any wit) stems from the conviction that life is meaningless and love impossible and hence, since nothing is sacred, you might as well make fun of everything. This blending of despair and humour is evident in the works of almost any writer that is generally considered "depressing" or "miserable", not least so in the British literary tradition. And vice versa, great comedians are generally very unhappy people. I would even go so far as to say that only sad people can be truly funny.

And yes, Morrissey has written many very emotional songs about love and beauty but this is almost always from the perspective of someone who can't obtain or understand how to cope with these things. I think that this is perhaps at the very core of his being perceived as miserable: his apparent inability to engage in intimate relationships, as it is expressed in his lyrics. And what good do fancy suits and cars bring if you are so inept when it comes to relating to people around you?

Hmm. Interesting post. I never really intently thought about it, but when I do, I always think of Morrissey of a very intellectual, smart man who is very well cultured, But I also see him as somewhat not as classy, as in, buying what he wants not always the finest clothes or cars, just whatever, also not always reading or doing things with other people ( beautiful people) but him thinking and singing and other things everyone else does, But I don't really see him as totally miserable, but I think he's burdened with more than one thing.

I think the view of Morrissey fans as complete miserablists is a bit over-played to say the least. As far as I can see many of them are a bit distant, 'maladjusted' or unsure but when you get talking to them most of them are warm, friendly, decent intelligent people. You could say Mozz is sort of the same, a bit tortured or 'deep' no doubt, but intellectual, warm and witty nonetheless.

Most people are a bit miserable or erratic anyway, Mozz fans or not, I dont think you should ever be ashamed to feel pissed off or depressed or feel pressured to wear a smile and be thankful all the time, that makes no sense to me, people should say how they feel, that's one of the most attractive aspects of Mozz to me, in a society where so many people hide their unhappiness or displeasure he's never been afraid to stand up and say "is it me or is everything a bit shit?" ;), albeit more poetically.

Absolutely agree with you, very well said.

I found this post both enjoyable and very close to the mark as to my personal opinions on the subject. I've noticed that, at least in most circles, if you are a dedicated fan of Morrissey and The Smiths you are assumed to fit a certain mould (and we all know which one). It can be entirely restrictive, being viewed as the ultimate archetype. If one looks further Morrissey fans are indeed intelligent and very friendly people, and there is always a great conversation to be had - by far the best discussions I have are with fellow fans.

For me personally, I've always seen him as probably the most intelligent person I have ever come across given his continued ability to "speak" to people on an intimate level. The trademark blend of wit and humour with the expressions of sadness and despair... when feeling depressed, the songs are always are an uplifting, positive experience for me, never the opposite. Since many of us here feel that way, the fact that the 'miserablist' tag has stuck for so long is quite unbelievable, but that brings us back to the original post, that we as (true) fans indeed form a clique that 'don't need to know each other to know each other'.

Last edited:
No i do not belive for a second that Morrissey still sits in his bedroom with the curtains drawn comtemplating suicide but he changed his life and i find that inspiring i've had depression since childhood but i dont inflict on anyone else except those who surposedly know what they are doing :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom