Morrissey Central "A RUSH AND A PUSH AND THE MUSIC IS OURS" (April 19, 2024)

c4409c14d2e0c1a75462b212cf1845a1d9b6d4d9.jpg

Morrissey has paid the exit fee to Capitol Records in order to return both WORLD PEACE IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS and BONFIRE OF TEENAGERS albums back to him.
"It's been a long, hard, bloody war. Few would make it out alive, and … I'm no exception," he has commented.
Morrissey remains unsigned.

1B2BFCEC-20AA-4738-B5DC-F134BF1C8207.png

Last edited by a moderator:

And just to think, that if it wasn’t for that NME article, Marr may have gone back after his holiday, put his foot down and made demands. Morrissey may have even accepted a proper manager in order to keep Marr and The Smiths together.
Not sure why you are still going on about this, because you're wrong

And just to think, that if it wasn’t for that NME article, Marr may have gone back after his holiday, put his foot down and made demands. Morrissey may have even accepted a proper manager in order to keep Marr and The Smiths together.

I can’t imagine Morrissey giving that story to the NME. As I see it, with all his insecurities, he needed the band, needed The Smiths to stay together. So much so, that he even tried to replace Marr. The thought of going solo, to him at the time, didn’t seem an option. With the huge ego some people believe he had, he still didn’t believe he could make it as a solo artist.

Though, Morrissey doesn’t agree when people say that The Smiths broke up at the right time, but I think they did. Ok, they may have had one or two good albums left in them, who knows. As before, I do take Johnny’s side on this, he had to leave that band to keep his health and sanity.

Morrissey in his Autobiography describes a heart to heart talk with Johnny, but apparently Morrissey didn't take Johnny seriously. He couldn't imagine that Johnny would leave. Andy said that Johnny chose to save his marriage over staying in the Smiths. When you think about it, that is strongly romantic and indeed they are still together today.

I would think that Morrissey could have tipped off the NME in an effort to keep the band together, to make Johnny return to the fold and deny any such breakup, but it backfired.

As it happened, the Madchester scene was just about to break through and had the Smiths stayed together, they would have no longer seemed current or fresh. I think they ended at the right time.

Morrissey in his Autobiography describes a heart to heart talk with Johnny, but apparently Morrissey didn't take Johnny seriously. He couldn't imagine that Johnny would leave. Andy said that Johnny chose to save his marriage over staying in the Smiths. When you think about it, that is strongly romantic and indeed they are still together today.

I would think that Morrissey could have tipped off the NME in an effort to keep the band together, to make Johnny return to the fold and deny any such breakup, but it backfired.

As it happened, the Madchester scene was just about to break through and had the Smiths stayed together, they would have no longer seemed current or fresh. I think they ended at the right time.
The thing with them is, we will never know exactly what happened between them, but the way they are acting and acted indicate that it was/is deeply personal. I've read an interview with Johnny from shortly after the break-up and he repeatedly made clear that his health was in such a bad state that his family was extremely worried and he even described it as a life or death situation to stay in or leave the Smiths. He seemed to be down that nobody saw that. I've never heard him talk that honestly about it afterwards, because he seems to avoid to say anything personal. I think it's totally plausible with him being that young, having that much responsibility for the band and being on the verge of being an alcoholic, that his family tried to intervene. And that doesn't factor in the emotional stress of falling apart with your bandmate/songwriting partner/close friend for whatever reason and Johnny also said, that the break-up effed him up emotionally, because of the behaviour of a specific person. If Morrissey's behaviour back then was nearly as erratic/manipulative as today I can see why that has been frustrating and we absolutely don't know how much emotional pressure that has caused. I think that is why it was inevitable that they broke up. But they still to this day seem to know how to trigger the other for an erratic and emotional reaction (e.g. the interviews before the open letter/the reaction etc.), where they just could ignore each other and that tells me that there has been a lot more emotional turmoil behind the scenes that we will ever know.

Compare your own relationship with good friends or colleagues from the past. Sometimes, it doesn't take anything deeper for it, not to work today. Back then, it were different circumstances (youth @ school) or a bubble (band) you were in that made it work. The reason doesn't always have to be a great dislike.

Yes I saw your other post. But there could be other speculations of who may have planted the story/rumor for that NME article. Not saying you’re right or wrong, and I understand your take on it, it’s definitely feasible. Was just reminding people that Morrissey needed that band to stay together, IMO. But at the same time it seems he was not helping them to stay together, to say the least.

I just never realized the importance of that article, that it really seemed to come down to that NME article that made Johnny finally make the decision to leave the band.

From what I already posted. He was still in The Smiths, only on temporary leave/holiday in June, then during his leave, he read the NME article and couldn’t take it anymore, snapped, and left the band permanently.

I was just speculating… what if that article never happened? and Johnny came back from holiday, with a clear head and a list of demands that Morrissey would have to agree with in order to keep The Smiths together?

Though, I did finish my post, (and agree with Mimi) that Johnny had to leave the band to keep his health and sanity. I also noted, that it probably was the right time for them to break up for various reasons. So maybe in that way, it was for the better that the NME article came out.

If Bonfire of Teenagers is ever released, I would love for the cover art to look like this.
:handpointdown:

If Bonfire of Teenagers is ever released, I would love for the cover art to look like this.
:handpointdown:

Man, that production really does sound a bit shit, doesn’t it? Just listened to it for the first time since it was released a few centuries ago.

Recently deceased Steve Albini wrote a highly regarded article in 1993 on the music business, with observations like this:

"The band cannot sign to another label or even put out its own material unless they are released from their agreement, which never happens. Make no mistake about it: once a band has signed a letter of intent, they will either eventually sign a contract that suits the label or they will be destroyed."

The notes on how recording and band payments are calculated near the end are also worth a look, especially for those miseries prone to taking every chance they get to kick 'em when they fall down

https://thebaffler.com/salvos/the-problem-with-music

Man, that production really does sound a bit shit, doesn’t it? Just listened to it for the first time since it was released a few centuries ago.

Many Icebergs Ago I should say.

One further month, no further news besides the Dana rubbish of „Dana 7inch sold 437 records“ and „Morrissey went to Dana rest home where she was singing with her horrible smoked voice“ :rock:

Morrissey remains unsigned. And he will remain forever!
I know it’s over - and I am very sad. :cry:

Back
Top Bottom