The Smiths – Complete (remastered iTunes version)

Discussion in 'Downloads / Bootlegs' started by PIVI16, Jul 25, 2019.

1. PIVI16

PIVI16 New Member

The Smiths – Complete (Remastered) (iTunes Version)

Complete (Remastered) - iTunes LP

A kind person would have a link to download this The Smiths – Complete (Remastered) (iTunes Version) , thanks a lot for your help,

Best regards,

Pierre

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You do know it is officially released material and available for purchase?

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. PIVI16

PIVI16 New Member

Yes, thank you, I know.
    I already bought the studio part (remastered), I wasn't going to buy it again from i tunes just to get the bonuses, I'm just interested in the part "Live In London 1986" only if remastered ?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  4. beanburger

beanburger New Member

Isn't that the "Rank" show? Already mastered.

5. PIVI16

PIVI16 New Member

Maybe you are right, in this case I already have it, thank you.

So, The Smiths – "Complete (Remastered) (iTunes Version)" does not bring anything new ? even in terms of sound quality ?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  6. Famous when dead

Famous when dead Vulgarian Moderator

@PIVI16
    It would depend on whether your ears can pick out Arkwright & Marr's remastering when compared to the original versions (Marr was very proud of them / Morrissey distanced himself from the project and didn't ever comment on the new remasters).
    Not too sure how much tinkering went on with Rank compared to the studio albums though.
    IIRC, when compared, the original was preferred for sound, but I can't source where I read that currently.
    There are lots of variants of this collection and some are seeded on torrents sites. It works out at 2.6 gb for the lot. I will post the 2011 digital FLAC of Rank later tonight for you to compare. The debate about FLAC verses Apple lossless is mildly contentious and I'd say the quality difference is too nominal to be fussed about - happy to be corrected on that.
    Regards,
    FWD.

7. Famous when dead

8. PIVI16

PIVI16 New Member

Thank you, after converting on Apple lossless, I will listen with my Earphones Westone, I'll tell you if I hear a big difference, thanks again,
    Pierre

9. PIVI16

PIVI16 New Member

@Famous when dead
    For studio albums we can hear the difference, but for "Rank" I'm not so sure....
    I just bought on Itunes "Your Arsenal (Definitive Master)" and the difference is really phenomenal in comparison with the old version.
    Now the difference between a very good 320 kbit/s and a Apple lossless, even with a great professional Earphones, it is very, very suptile .
    Again a thousand times "Merci" for " The Smiths Extra Track", since i downloaded it, I only listen to them.
    Best Regards,
    Pierre

10. DavidA

DavidA Junior Member

I had quite a detailed conversation with Grant Showbiz about his producering work on Rank, once.

I had assumed that it was just a nice soundboard recording, but each of the mics and instruments were recorded separately by the BBC. Grant mixed it in the studio, presumably the same studio that he mixed Girlfriend in a Coma. He told me that for a lot of commercially released live albums bands would re-record parts that they weren't happy with, but everything on Rank was from that gig.

When it was broadcast by the BBC it included more songs than Rank, including quite a fancy version of How Soon Is Now. Worth a listen.

I used to live between Maida Vale, where they did their Peel Sessions and Kilburn where they recorded this. The former is a very posh neighbourhood, the latter was pretty rough. Or at least it was when I lived there; seems a bit more gentrified now.

• Informative Informative x 3
  11. beanburger

beanburger New Member

[I had assumed that it was just a nice soundboard recording, but each of the mics and instruments were recorded separately by the BBC. Grant mixed it in the studio, presumably the same studio that he mixed Girlfriend in a Coma.]

"Girlfriend"? Isn't that credited to Stephen Street? Grant recorded the ill-fated "Work Is.." sessions at his studio.

12. DavidA

DavidA Junior Member

Oh yes. Same record, different recording session.

13. beanburger

beanburger New Member

Still, it's amazing that the only multi-track recordings of them in concert were done by the BBC, TV shows not included.

14. DavidA

DavidA Junior Member

Hmm. Do you know where the source of the Live in Boston CD from the Queen Is Dead Deluxe Edition?

15. beanburger

beanburger New Member

Grant's 90-minute chrome casssette, much like he did for many of their live dates. Same source for the extra tracks dribbled out as teasers around that release.

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. Famous when dead

Indeed.
    Warners (aka Rhino) gives these credits for RR/WSS in the buildup to the box set:

20190814_134656.jpg

Regards,
    FWD.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. beanburger

beanburger New Member

That's very useful, thanks. It used to be a truism that band's performances were always better when they didn't know they were being recorded for posterity!