The anti capital-punishment thread

DarrenEdward

Capiltal punishment goes with the civilised world like oil and water.

The mentality of 'an eye for an eye' is outdated, barbaric and appeals to the base insticts of a canibalistic rabble.

Firslty, there is NO evidence that capital punishment has reduced crime in the civilised world. George W Bush holds the record for executing the most peple (in Texas, now there's a surprise). I could stop the argument here but...

The aim of any punishment is to serve as a deterrant to commit further crime. Capital punishment is no deterrant. It merely appeals to braindead Sun readers who also want to know the address of the local nonce 'in the interests of the community' - yeah right!!

A mate of mine said, "People should be accountable for their actions". Ok agreed. We'll come back to that. But...so should the police and the courts.

In reality, only one man knows if Gerry Conlon was guilty or not. What we do know was he was beaten and starved into confessing to a crime where there was no clear-cut evidence against him. Had he been sentenced to death, there would have been no further investigation, Gerry would have been forgotten about and the disgusting scale of police brutality, aided by bent judges and the old tie network, would never have come to light.

It's a cliche to ask 'What about the wrongly convicted?' so I won't. But if the police are fitting people up and beating confessions from them I want to know. And keeping prisoners alive will make it more likely this stuff will come out in the long run. It will weed out the scumbags from the force, the majority of whom do a good job.

The answer? Yes tougher prisons. Take the plasma screens and the Playstations outa there. No wet liberal here. And compulsory numeracy and literacy, with a proper back-to-work program, would go a long way.

The answer doesn't hang in the gallows,

Dazza

Last edited:
i think you've proved, here, that pop & politics do mix.

lovin' it.

i think you've proved, here, that pop & politics do mix.

lovin' it.

Lovin your prophetic words.

The scandinavians have the right idea...one of my girly friends is half-Danish and wants to get in a marriage pact with me. What do you reckon?

Lovin your prophetic words.

The scandinavians have the right idea...one of my girly friends is half-Danish and wants to get in a marriage pact with me. What do you reckon?

difficult to say, really. where does she stand, on Stuff?

difficult to say, really. where does she stand, on Stuff?

A bit shallow but she's very cute...funny too

However, she's not exactly PC and has a very different take on corporal and capital to yours truly...she's a solicitor and I've no doubt she'll be a judge...need I say more?

A bit shallow but she's very cute...funny too

However, she's not exactly PC and has a very different take on corporal and capital to yours truly...she's a solicitor and I've no doubt she'll be a judge...need I say more?

well, there's certainly food for thought, there!

I'm sorry, but I support the death penalty for heinous crimes... :guitar:

If someone ever were to kill someone in my immediate family, I'd probably kill them myself... resulting in me getting the lethal injection, I guess... :straightface:

Still, I approve :cool:

I'm sorry, but I support the death penalty for heinous crimes... :guitar:

If someone ever were to kill someone in my immediate family, I'd probably kill them myself... resulting in me getting the lethal injection, I guess... :straightface:

Still, I approve :cool:

I can see how emotive a subject it is but how can you make a rational decision that one person's killing spree is worth the death penalty and another's isn't? The problem is that if it's there, weak judges will not use it sparingly to avoid incurring negative press.

Capiltal punishment goes with the civilised world like oil and water.

I completely agree. I don't think any human being has the right to decide when another human being lives or dies. Not to mention our justice system has proven itself to be shit at times.

Give them a fair trial; if they are found guilty, lock them up for the rest of their lives. Prison is a terrible place, I would think living there would be a worse punishment than a peaceful death.

Just today I read a story in the local paper about a guy who stabbed a 50 odd year old gay man to death and attempted to murder his partner, which made me think about capital punishment.

Quite far removed from cases where people have been put in the electric chair for killing their wife during an argument IMO.

Maybe the latter example should never see the light of day again, but the former doesn't deserve to breathe.

Just today I read a story in the local paper about a guy who stabbed a 50 odd year old gay man to death and attempted to murder his partner, which made me think about capital punishment.

Quite far removed from cases where people have been put in the electric chair for killing their wife during an argument IMO.

Both of those people are pieces of shit and don't deserve to breathe, I agree. But it's not our place to decide who gets to live and who doesn't.

I completely agree. I don't think any human being has the right to decide when another human being lives or dies. Not to mention our justice system has proven itself to be shit at times.

Give them a fair trial; if they are found guilty, lock them up for the rest of their lives. Prison is a terrible place, I would think living there would be a worse punishment than a peaceful death.

What about a slow painful death? Which is a punishment for lesser crimes in a few countries, countries we deem civilised.

Murderers are actually being let out of prison here after 20 years while someone is serving the same stretch for robbery.

The scale has somehow become a bit too compressed. If you can receive a lengthy custodial sentence for tax evasion, then I think serial child killers should face something a bit worse than 4 concrete walls 24/7.

Also, do you not see some hypocricy in your view that they should suffer in prison? I think that's frankly absurd. By your standards torture would be OK, but the death penalty not.

What about a slow painful death? Which is a punishment for lesser crimes in a few countries, countries we deem civilised.

Murderers are actually being let out of prison here after 20 years while someone is serving the same stretch for robbery.

The scale has somehow become a bit too compressed. If you can receive a lengthy custodial sentence for tax evasion, then I think serial child killers should face something a bit worse than 4 concrete walls 24/7.

Also, do you not see some hypocricy in your view that they should suffer in prison? I think that's frankly absurd. By your standards torture would be OK, but the death penalty not.

I never once said that they should be tortured. Not once. There are other ways to suffer besides torture.

I think that we need to re-examine prison sentences, among other things. I think we also need to reconsider housing. I don't think someone who is in prison for insider trading or tax evasion should be housed in the same area as a rapist.

Both of those people are pieces of shit and don't deserve to breathe, I agree. But it's not our place to decide who gets to live and who doesn't.

Why not?

Why should they live?

The most despicable killers here don't even get life imprisonment, instead they're let out (albeit after a good few years) and given new identities to protect them.

Please look up some of these cases and see what you think. Ian Brady for example, might not even die in prison. I'm sure any UK members that are with me will give more examples.

I never once said that they should be tortured. Not once. There are other ways to suffer besides torture.

I think that we need to re-examine prison sentences, among other things. I think we also need to reconsider housing. I don't think someone who is in prison for insider trading or tax evasion should be housed in the same area as a rapist.

But you've expressed a wish for them to suffer. Just because a prison beating is not inflicted legally, that doesn't make it any different. (Unless this is a religious thing and that would be "The will of God")

Why not?

Why should they live?

The most despicable killers here don't even get life imprisonment, instead they're let out (albeit after a good few years) and given new identities to protect them.

Please look up some of these cases and see what you think. Ian Brady for example, might not even die in prison. I'm sure any UK members that are with me will give more examples.

I have a problem with people being able to decide who does and doesn't live. I don't think anyone needs or deserves that kind of power.

I'm not saying hug and kiss and forgive the serial killer. Send them to prison for the rest of their lives. Don't let them hurt anyone else.

I don't think that the government needs to give criminals new identities after they are released from prison. They do it mostly with children; Mary Bell, the children in the James Bulger and Jonesboro cases.

But you've expressed a wish for them to suffer. Just because a prison beating is not inflicted legally, that doesn't make it any different. (Unless this is a religious thing and that would be "The will of God")

It's not a religous thing.

By suffer, I mean have them live in a small room for the rest of their lives, with everyone knowing what they did, with no entertainment, no television, no books, no enjoyment. Just them and nothing. By prison justice I mean making them a pariah of the population, not them being beaten or raped in prison.

I generally have no problem with capital punishment as a whole,my two problems that make me hesitant about capital punishment are two things. One, human error.I do not have much faith in judges and juries and death sentences being handed out by the state.Two, it is actually far more financially viable to give them life sentences.

So, in an over all picture, would I mind serial rapists, child killers and others being sentenced to death? No.But I do not think its that practical or possible for it to be carried out.

In all fairness, though, I've never had a family member or anyone close to me murdered. It's possible I would feel differently if that ever happened to me. It's quite easy for me to say that I disagree with something I've never been affected by.

Tags
s#n readers die
Back
Top Bottom