Tell us about the last film you watched, pt 2

• Thread starter Deleted member 28602
  • Start date
Letter from an Unknown Woman (1948)

A reviewer for The Guardian in 2010 gave this film 5 stars, and outlined it so: "A turn-of-the-century Vienna is the setting for Max Ophüls' wonderful melodrama adapted from a Stefan Zweig novella."

It stars Joan Fontaine and Louis Jourdan, and was on an 80s or 90s list of Morrissey's film picks.

From the opulence of settings and dress, including lots of military kit, nothing was spared to evoke sympathy for 'making the poor rich smile'. Which is the gripe I had with it. I appreciated the period extravagance and acting ability but I could not work myself up enough to care very much about this aristocrats' drama. And after what went down in the main romance and considering how long they'd been in contact, to a greater or lesser extent, that he would not recognise her even with the passage of 7 or 8 years, seemed to stretch credulity, without portraying him as almost blind or a drunkard or something. One could do worse though.

The-Whale---2022.jpg

The Whale (2022). Not Darren Aronofsky's best film. Far from it. Somehow I could sense the gooey ending coming, even as things played out in the shame and gloom in the cloistered life of a dying 400-lb man. There was an undercurrent of hopefulness and positivity, and I can smell bullshit a mile away. Nevertheless, Sadie Sink's character composed a marvelous haiku:

This apartment smells.​
This notebook is retarded.​
I hate everyone.​
I hate it when you classify something as 'gooey.' It just turns me off right away. It's like oh there's Earnest Aubs playing at being the hard man.

I hate it when you classify something as 'gooey.' It just turns me off right away. It's like oh there's Earnest Aubs playing at being the hard man.

Well, then you'll just have to put me on ignore because "gooey" is one of my favorite words, and I probably use it the most when I'm talking about our mutual friend, saccharine sweet Jesus. That might be part of why it bothers you. But the ending of The Whale is quite gooey, and if you see it you'll know what I mean. I'll bet Darren Aronofsky believes in an afterlife, based on his earlier film The Fountain and now this one. He's probably "spiritual but not religious." Blech.

Well, then you'll just have to put me on ignore because "gooey" is one of my favorite words, and I probably use it the most when I'm talking about our mutual friend, saccharine sweet Jesus. That might be part of why it bothers you. But the ending of The Whale is quite gooey, and if you see it you'll know what I mean. I'll bet Darren Aronofsky believes in an afterlife, based on his earlier film The Fountain and now this one. He's probably "spiritual but not religious." Blech.
No, you wanna know whats gooey?! Lou de laages face is gooey! And so is your lust for her! And those are the fax, buster!

Well, then you'll just have to put me on ignore because "gooey" is one of my favorite words, and I probably use it the most when I'm talking about our mutual friend, saccharine sweet Jesus. That might be part of why it bothers you. But the ending of The Whale is quite gooey, and if you see it you'll know what I mean. I'll bet Darren Aronofsky believes in an afterlife, based on his earlier film The Fountain and now this one.

He's probably "spiritual but not religious." Blech.

What’s wrong with that?

The Wrestler is Aronofsky's best movie, and I just watched the trailer and it's very gooey. It has an acoustic Springsteen ballad and all the heartache moments. They should've used Sweet Child O' Mine, which is in the movie, and a much better fit.

And here you have it, folks: whatever doesn't appeal to Aubreys lil wienie is gooey! That's what it allllllways comes down to! He probably describes his own children as gooey!

Paris, 13th district

This film is about having sex in Paris.
Paris cinématique of the 21st century is totalement dépourvu d'esprit romantique.
Les millennials ou la géneration Z se considèrent comme des adultes, mais ne le sont pas.
They grow up à la manière francaise, sans peur du contact.
Le contact est sexuel et numérisé, mais pas émotionelle ou, on the other hand, trop vulnérable.
Ils sont juste un peu charmants meanwhile pratiquer un sport de haut niveau.
At the end, we try to believe that they have become more mature.

Last edited:
Paris, 13th district

This film is about having sex in Paris.
Paris cinématique of the 21st century is totalement dépourvu d'esprit romantique.
Les millennials ou la géneration Z se considèrent comme des adultes, mais ne le sont pas.
They grow up à la manière francaise, sans peur du contact.
Le contact est sexuel et numérisé, mais pas émotionelle ou, on the other hand, trop vulnérable.
Ils sont juste un peu charmants meanwhile pratiquer un sport de haut niveau.
At the end, we try to believe that they have become more mature.

Merci. Je veux le voir quelquefois :brows:

A retrospective summary of the career of Dutch film-maker Rosto, including insets with some of his cartoonish cultish short films in which music by Bowie, Tom Waits and others can be heard - https://www.shortoftheweek.com/news/rosto-short-film-retrospective/

Back
Top Bottom