Site moderation feedback

I'm sick to death of a couple of the long term forum trends here ; firstly the seemingly overwhelming torrent of sludge from vehemently right wing posters that often descend into paranoid conspiracy rants about The Great Replacement and Londonistan, and secondly the overwhelming misinformation that almost all of the people who oppose that utter dreck are just sockpuppet accounts for one person with a gazillion logins.

M's politics attracts a lot of threadcrappers and massively overshadows the good work this site does and undermining its long term future.

I’ve offered a couple of examples: Steve Hoffman & VMP. I’m not claiming it’s easy, but VMP assigned the task of moderating to trusted long-term members; perhaps you could assign a few new ones?

I don’t claim to know anything about how to run a site like this, but what would be the disadvantage of only allowing people with accounts to post? At least then, each account can be held accountable for its actions.

People can be abusive & be warned for their behaviour. If they continue to disrupt the site or use it as a platform for their own agenda’s then they’re banned.

It has to be worth a try.

That wouldnt work, trusted long term members being Skinny and a couple of his twat aliases.:lbf:

I'm sick to death of a couple of the long term forum trends here ; firstly the seemingly overwhelming torrent of sludge from vehemently right wing posters that often descend into paranoid conspiracy rants about The Great Replacement and Londonistan, and secondly the overwhelming misinformation that almost all of the people who oppose that utter dreck are just sockpuppet accounts for one person with a gazillion logins.

M's politics attracts a lot of threadcrappers and massively overshadows the good work this site does and undermining its long term future.

Skinny what a great idea.
Lets ban people who defend Moz and criticize Skinny.
Might as well this is practically Skinny-a billion logins.com.

You can call everyone a Nazi a racist etc but not a Skinny LOL
I dont doubt that it may happen. Call Moz a Nazi cool, call someone Skinny BAN

Thanks for your response.
You have been doing this for a long time. I'm sure you must have learned a lot in that time about how to run a forum and I'm sure that people often put two minutes into writing a suggestion that you've already spent hours thinking about.
I do understand why you can't drop everything and have the same conversation repeatedly.
Still there are people who notice this influx of posters that seem more excited by talking ab0ut "the Jews" than they ever seem to be in talking about Morrissey. That is a real thing that is happening. I don't blame you if you don't want to hear it from me but I'm not the only one who has noticed it.
And you do have rules about posting racist or hateful speech.
I think if we want to talk about how hard it is to run the site I'll say that Morrissey himself has attracted a lot of these people. And I want to keep the conversation productive but if the site is so hard to run, why do it? If I go order a pizza and comes out with some rancid pepperoni on it is "you don't know how hard it is to run a pizzeria" going to help me on my trip to the emergency room? :straightface:

I think political discussion is okay and not the problem. I think it's okay to think that mass immigration can change the character of a nation and it's okay to say that. A lot of posts go way past that though. Your forum needs a cleanup.

:rolleyes:

o_O

Moz has attracted a lot of 'these people' to this site? o_O
How can that be? Moz attracting peeps to a Moz site?:crazy:

People post here thinking it's easy to run a forum. Sure you can have a Steve Hoffman type that has one or two Morrissey-related threads and deletes them if they get 'political'. Just go there if it's so great, or create your own site with your own policies if it's so easy.

@davidt - first, much respect to you for what you've done for Smiths/Morrissey fans since the early '90s (I remember buying the SYL fanzines from you and Russ outside of So Cal Morrissey shows... still have them).

My .02 cents. I'm not the first to say this but I really believe the time is long overdue to stop allowing Anonymous commenting. I can't comment on any other site I visit without having either a registered user account or a Disqus/Facebook/Google account, etc. This will not magically stop the vitriol - but at least people will know they are dealing with the same person and block if desired. Can we at least start with that? It requires no additional moderation.

This comes up every so often. I will consider disabling anonymous comments in the next site upgrade. What I have seen in other sites that require registration is they eventually die out due to lack of participation. Take a look at "All You Need Is Morrissey" as an example. I have outlined my arguments for anonymous comments on the general posting policy page a while ago. The 'all other sites require an account' or 'the time has come' arguments aren't enough to sway me just yet. You won't likely need to worry who is posting as there is a chance the post would never appear if registration was required.

@davidt - first, much respect to you for what you've done for Smiths/Morrissey fans since the early '90s (I remember buying the SYL fanzines from you and Russ outside of So Cal Morrissey shows... still have them).

My .02 cents. I'm not the first to say this but I really believe the time is long overdue to stop allowing Anonymous commenting. I can't comment on any other site I visit without having either a registered user account or a Disqus/Facebook/Google account, etc. This will not magically stop the vitriol - but at least people will know they are dealing with the same person and block if desired. Can we at least start with that? It requires no additional moderation.

This comes up every so often. I will consider disabling anonymous comments in the next site upgrade. What I have seen in other sites that require registration is they eventually die out due to lack of participation. Take a look at "All You Need Is Morrissey" as an example. I have outlined my arguments for anonymous comments on the general posting policy page a while ago. The 'all other sites require an account' or 'the time has come' arguments aren't enough to sway me just yet. You won't likely need to worry who is posting as there is a chance the post would never appear if registration was required.

MoneyChangesEverything above, makes, in my opinion, they key point. The influx of far-right posters is a reflection of the supporters of Morrissey's politics - I get that - but the choice then becomes the Popper Paradox - do you allow the wave of these people to trample over everything else with impunity, or not? I know what I would do if it was my site, but you probably would suspect that.

Last edited:
Sure you can start banning people for their views but they can just create a new account and then it's an endless game of whack-a-mole. If there are more 'right-wing' posters on the site as a result of the subject's political stance, so be it - it is an accurate reflection as you suggest. To censor and ban individuals for their views goes against how I prefer to run the site. Their posts don't block in any way your ability to post or respond. Some people have stated they wish you were banned. Instead of trying to get each other banned, try to be tolerant or just ignore each other.

MoneyChangesEverything above, makes, in my opinion, they key point. The influx of far-right posters is s reflection of the supporters of Morrissey's politics - I get that - but the choice then becomes the Popper Paradox - do you allow the wave of these people to trample over everything else with impunity, or not? I know what I would do if it was my site, but you probably would suspect that.

Sure you can start banning people for their views but they can just create a new account and then it's an endless game of whack-a-mole. If there are more 'right-wing' posters on the site as a result of the subject's political stance, so be it - it is an accurate reflection as you suggest. To censor and ban individuals for their views goes against how I prefer to run the site. Their posts don't block in any way your ability to post or respond. Some people have stated they wish you were banned. Instead of trying to get each other banned, try to be tolerant or just ignore each other.
I get all of that, but I think there's an asymmetry in the current situation, and that users such as MoneyChangesEverything above articulate it better than I can. I also don't advocate banning users, but it would be good if you could step back and take the aerial view. I remember a few years ago when certain users would crap all over the site and then go on to say "You see - it's a cesspool now", having themselves created the sewage. I'm not a mod anymore, so I can't do anything about it. If it was my choice, I would be far, far stricter in moderation, in particular looking at the anti-semitic and racial content. I get the libertarian first amendment point, but I refer again to the Popper Paradox. I'm not sure how else you stop the above mentioned influx.

Last edited:
MoneyChangesEverything above, makes, in my opinion, they key point. The influx of far-right posters is s reflection of the supporters of Morrissey's politics - I get that - but the choice then becomes the Popper Paradox - do you allow the wave of these people to trample over everything else with impunity, or not? I know what I would do if it was my site, but you probably would suspect that.
Yes, your position is clear. The paradox of tolerance. So, who then decides what is tolerant from what is intolerant to determine and/or conclude the decision of intolerant intolerance? Posters of Far-Righters the problem? The solution: Groupthink? So much for the free exchange of ideas as this site will remain in the comfortable hands of the Eloi without worry from the outside threat of Morlocks.

Yes, your position is clear. The paradox of tolerance. So, who then decides what is tolerant from what is intolerant to determine and/or conclude the decision of intolerant intolerance? Posters of Far-Righters the problem? The solution: Groupthink? So much for the free exchange of ideas as this site will remain in the comfortable hands of the Eloi without worry from the outside threat of Morlocks.

Why Reelfountain so nice of you to join us it must be seconds since your last post.

If based on the content of this site "the arguments aren't enough to sway me just yet", then I respectfully suggest that that time will never come. I understand the kneejerk reaction to ban "anonymous" comments however at least 98% (my experience) of comments on this site are posted anonymously - a registered user is, by and large, an anonymous user. If you continue with the argument that only registered users can comment then that will solve very little. My experience has been that it is relatively recent, registered users, that have posted the majority of hateful and harmful content.

If the site's intention is to be a Morrissey/Smiths fan site then I can't see any option but to utilise moderators; moderators who have a code of conduct to adhere to. If the site's main aim is footfall and associated income generation then that business model is surely in jeopardy as footfall decreases.

All You Need Is Morrissey NEVER had the same hateful, unrelenting content posted. I don't believe it to be a fair comparison.

I believe disabling anonymous comments would be very beneficial. At least this way we could have a chance of avoiding the bile somewhat. I’ve blocked so many of the abusive accounts but the same people still troll my posts anonymously; which is obvious from the same phrases, names, consistent views & grammatical errors.

I very much doubt that this site would die off if people could only post via registered accounts. In fact, I think the opposite would happen: genuine fans could interact and discuss without having to wade through the same repeated nonsense & without being relentlessly hounded by the usual suspects.

With all due respect, David, this isn’t about blocking people because of their views; it’s about blocking people who are only here to spout the same hateful nonsense on a daily basis over & over & over again. It’s about blocking people who are cruel to other users, who insult and harass & say horrible unnecessary things to people for no reason.

And this isn’t just about “right-wing” posters. I’d say that it’s actually the likes of Skinny - apparently here to rid the world of racists & nazis - who are the worst offenders of all.

There’s voicing an opinion & there’s just being a horrible c***. This site is riddled with them.

As the owner of this site, I’d say you have a responsibility to at least TRY & make it a more pleasant place to visit.

There’s voicing an opinion & there’s just being a horrible c***. This site is riddled with them.

As the owner of this site, I’d say you have a responsibility to at least TRY & make it a more pleasant place to visit.

Do you not see the huge double standard between your first sentence and the last? As a further example, I note from your activity history that you upvoted a comment that called Uncle Skinny a 'c***.' You also called someone else a 'silly bastard.'
If you genuinely want this place to be more 'pleasant,' perhaps it's your responsibility to start by modifying your own behaviour.

Just for the record, & before this 'site moderation thread' begins the inevitable descent into the depths, like many others, I, for one, will look to take that responsibility by checking & modifying my own behaviour on here. I do, genuinely, want this place to be more 'pleasant', & have stated as much in quite a few threads. We're all, allegedly, adults, so it should not be too much to ask of anyone who frequents this site to behave like adults instead of school children in a playground. However, this will only work if there's general consensus across members on this personal, individual approach; if not, then we'll remain in the situation in which we find ourselves right now.

It's very easy to get drawn in when someone else posts something which you strongly disagree with, or consider something to have been posted simply to be inflammatory; just for the sake of it, because they have a personal axe to grind, & because they can, with the full knowledge that they can get away with it.

This is where effective site moderation should work hand in glove (pun intended) with any self-moderating, personal efforts. If you only have one of those elements operating without the other, then it will fail; it needs a two pronged approach.

Last edited by a moderator:
MoneyChangesEverything above, makes, in my opinion, they key point. The influx of far-right posters is a reflection of the supporters of Morrissey's politics - I get that - but the choice then becomes the Popper Paradox - do you allow the wave of these people to trample over everything else with impunity, or not? I know what I would do if it was my site, but you probably would suspect that.

WTF?? :lbf:

skinny the popper paradox? the influx of Moz supporters to a Moz solo. com website?:lbf:
what business of your is all that, seeing that you 'quit' being mod. LOL right.:lbf:

skinny you are the huge trampling wave that tears up everything.:crazy:

I get all of that, but I think there's an asymmetry in the current situation, and that users such as MoneyChangesEverything above articulate it better than I can. I also don't advocate banning users, but it would be good if you could step back and take the aerial view. I remember a few years ago when certain users would crap all over the site and then go on to say "You see - it's a cesspool now", having themselves created the sewage. I'm not a mod anymore, so I can't do anything about it. If it was my choice, I would be far, far stricter in moderation, in particular looking at the anti-semitic and racial content. I get the libertarian first amendment point, but I refer again to the Popper Paradox. I'm not sure how else you stop the above mentioned influx.

Skinny you should revise the TOS to include the following:

1 If you follow the TOS you will likely be banned, if you dont follow the TOS you will be made mod
2 this is a Moz site we dont want the Moz trolls, who could be in any number of left wing Muslim sites,
trampled over by posters who are actually Moz fans, agree with fans, and are brought here by their love for Moz.
Instead those who are borderline insane, living in the forum of an artists they claim to hate, should be allowed free reigned, with a good banning to those who object.

that was a good move, posting as Moneychangeseverything, then backing yourself up.
the Popper Paradox, is how a c*** like you is allowed free reign in the site of an artist you live to hate. LOL

it you dont ban Skinny, "Surface" et al, then this whole discussion is pointless. this is not a forum geared towards Skinnys political views. nobody gives a good f*** about skinnys political views except for those who actually run this site: Skinny.

there is no way in hell Skinny and his fake associates will ever get banned. they can do, and have done, whatever they want. people have been banned in the past for posting basically what Skinny posts on a daily basis, one difference: Skinny runs this site, a hate troll is advisor to the site.

How about this, why not take Skinny, his pseudonyms, Benny, Surface and have them write a new TOS. Get Zoinks, Eldritch and all the other hate fake trolls in there. Might as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom