"Shaven cave" and "scatter glue"? Are these just bad lyrics or do they mean something?

from the womb to the tomb, what else is there ?

He should do more sex and less world politics.
I'd agree with that. Sex is universal - even if you aren't getting any - so everyone can identify with what Morrissey is singing about. Topics like the Venezuelan police force and the state of Israel, not so much.

Well - she wouldn't kneel. What do you normally do on your knees? Given the amount of other oral sex references on the album, this doesn't seem like too much of a stretch to me.

That is a really interesting point. And again one I hadn’t really considered. Out of interest, the song takes the same title as a Holocaust based theatre production by Etty Hillesum. But the double entendre potential escaped me until you mentioned it. A lot of the songs juxtapose war and sex. In Your Lap, for instance.

Last edited:
Not if you read some of the lame-brained reviews. Don't you know our Moz is apparently obsessed with crotches? :rolleyes:
Is he not? It started with Dear God on Ringleader, got him some attention, then again on Not your Birthday on Refusal, he forgot to add anything overtly sexual on World Peace, and so he made several references on High School. It's kind of like a study in diminishing returns.

I mean sure, it feels good to have your genitals licked, but most people don't need to crow about it.

he forgot to add anything overtly sexual on World Peace, and so he made several references on High School.

It's true there are less overt references to sex on 'World Peace', but it's not entirely absent - for example we have 'Kiss Me a Lot' ("kiss me all over the place"), 'Istanbul' is about a male prostitute (and includes a very smutty double entendre when it refers to his 'brown-eyed son'- an anal sex reference whish whooshed over 99% of the audience's head), and pretty much the whole of 'Smiler With Knife' equates the act of physical sex with violent death ("slam-in one-shot gentle pain, etc" - use more lube would be my advice, but whatever).

I think you'd be hard pressed to find any Morrissey/Smiths album that didn't have elements of smut - but he's certainly become more brazen about it in recent years.

Well - she wouldn't kneel. What do you normally do on your knees? Given the amount of other oral sex references on the album, this doesn't seem like too much of a stretch to me.
sorry, but no, thats not what i meant.

It's true there are less overt references to sex on 'World Peace', but it's not entirely absent - for example we have 'Kiss Me a Lot' ("kiss me all over the place"), 'Istanbul' is about a male prostitute (and includes a very smutty double entendre when it refers to his 'brown-eyed son'- an anal sex reference whish whooshed over 99% of the audience's head), and pretty much the whole of 'Smiler With Knife' equates the act of physical sex with violent death ("slam-in one-shot gentle pain, etc" - use more lube would be my advice, but whatever).

I think you'd be hard pressed to find any Morrissey/Smiths album that didn't have elements of smut - but he's certainly become more brazen about it in recent years.
I don't think it whooshed over 99% of heads, but rather, only was interpreted as such by 1%. Kiss me a lot I excluded, because the less said about that sugar covered pap smear of a song the better.

'Istanbul' is about a male prostitute (and includes a very smutty double entendre when it refers to his 'brown-eyed son'- an anal sex reference whish whooshed over 99% of the audience's head)

Such nonsense.

A lot of the songs juxtapose war and sex. In Your also, for instance.

Good point. If you want to broaden the act of sex from mere phsyical pleasure, and bring in the act of procreation, then you can start to bring the parent/child dialogues in 'I Bury The Living','Who Will Protect Us From the Police' , 'My Love' ("Teach your kids...), and maybe even the cover art into the equation as well - and whammo - we suddenly have a theme for the entire album.
Human conflict vs. human comfort. Fighting vs. f***ing.
And it's pretty clear from this album what side of the fence Morrissey is on. Lonliness is held up as a warning ('I Wish You Lonely', "see the effect of sexual neglect" etc), whilst sex is the answer ("Nature gave you every impulse, who are virgin priests to tell you how to love?"). Ultimately he wants all the young people to fall in love, and he'd do anything for ya. Possibly even kneel.

If you look at it like that, it's quite a shift from the often cynical celibalism of the Smiths days - where there was sex, but it was often treated as something pretty bleak and horrible, and probably best avoided, like rickets.

In what respect?
i guess you expect me to unveil a hidden wordplay here? thanks for asking, but there is none that i can see at the moment. i was just silly. the urban dictionary though, always a reliable source in such matters of common interest, offers some alternative definitions for "aviv"
aviv
sex
the event of anal bumsex performed by 2 transexuals whom both insert their sexrods into the ass of another male
i'm pretty sure we're on to something here...;)

That is a really interesting point. And again one I hadn’t really considered. Out of interest, the song takes the same title as a Holocaust based theatre production by Etty Hillesum. But the double entendre potential escaped me until you mentioned it. A lot of the songs juxtapose war and sex. In Your also, for instance.
is there really a play by the same title? i couldnt find one and had the impression etty hillesum was first of all a diarist

Back
Top Bottom