Question about availability of singles

C

Chill

So all of my lovely b-sides, boots, and rarities sent to me by friends or downloaded from Mrs. Shankly's or Akiraware have been lost due to my harddrive's being corrupted irreparably. I was wondering if The Smiths' cd singles have ever been released in a box set as have been the solo singles? Am I really going to have to buy all of them separately? Grrr.

> So all of my lovely b-sides, boots, and rarities sent to me by friends or
> downloaded from Mrs. Shankly's or Akiraware have been lost due to my
> harddrive's being corrupted irreparably. I was wondering if The Smiths' cd
> singles have ever been released in a box set as have been the solo
> singles? Am I really going to have to buy all of them separately? Grrr.

Oh go on get all of their singles, what would you rather do go down the pub or sort your Smiths Collection out, ok don't answer that one, but here are some websites where you could get some mint condition Smiths vinyl:

www.eil.com
www.netsounds.com
www.gemm.com
www.vinylonthe.net

A bit expensive but good for quality and rarities.

Fan-bloody-tastic. Now I'm going to have to buy a record player. (Dad sold ours a few years ago thinking vinyl was gone for good.) Thanks for the response. I really only want "I Keep Mine Hidden." *cries because she misses that song*

Vinyl Exchange in Manchester is usually good for picking up second hand singles. Off the top of my head the B sides of Girlfriend In A Coma have never appeared on any albums.
I'm tempted to off load my singles and 12" 's because I never play them but it's hard to decided.

If you want the "Girlfriend In A Coma" B-sides, they are available on the "Sweet And Tender Hooligan" CD single, which I believe isn't too hard to find. It also has the live cover of James' "What's The World?" on it.

I have no idea how common they are, but WEA put out a handful of CD singles back when "Best" was released, and they contain many B-sides as well. Because so many Smiths B-sides were collected on the comps like "The World Won't Listen", you wouldn't have to buy more than 3 or 4 CD singles to get all the "missing" unreleased versions. Not too much cash to spend, I don't think.

I would also watch eBay for a particular item I've seen. Unfortunately I couldn't tell you who created the thing, but someone put together a great self-made double CD of Smiths rarities. On disc one there are just about all the rare B-sides, including many from vinyl that I've never seen on CD elsewhere. Disc two is a BBC radio broadcast of the various radio sessions they did with interviews interspersed between the songs. It's a great find if you can get it.

> Fan-bloody-tastic. Now I'm going to have to buy a record player. (Dad sold
> ours a few years ago thinking vinyl was gone for good.) Thanks for the
> response. I really only want "I Keep Mine Hidden." *cries
> because she misses that song*

Turntable Chill. If you ask for a "record player" they will give you a funny look

> Vinyl Exchange in Manchester is usually good for picking up second hand
> singles. Off the top of my head the B sides of Girlfriend In A Coma have
> never appeared on any albums.
> I'm tempted to off load my singles and 12" 's because I never play
> them but it's hard to decided.

No way would I ever part with my Smiths singles or 12". Just knowing they are there fills me with glee.

They are like works of art

Are you insane?!?

NEVER get rid of your records. Even if you don't play them. Some of mine I don't play anymore (mostly ones bought on a whim or bands I've gone off since), but I still treasure them, nestled in their boxes with their alphabetic comtemporaries. Think of the artwork, matrix etchings and the sheer collectable value of a Smiths record.

You'll regret it if they go.

MC Sermanni

Bog off, Tommy, they ARE called record players. "Turntable" is DJ-speak and therefore pretentious twattery.

If it plays records, it's a record player.

> Turntable Chill. If you ask for a "record player" they will give
> you a funny look

Re: MC Sermanni

> Bog off, Tommy, they ARE called record players. "Turntable" is
> DJ-speak and therefore pretentious twattery.

> If it plays records, it's a record player.

Nah honestly Blueie in Hi-Fi shops and stuff they call them Turntables.

Pah! What do they know!

> Nah honestly Blueie in Hi-Fi shops and stuff they call them Turntables.

> Pah! What do they know!

Stop picking on me Bluenose.I'm not the man you think I am

Re: Are you insane?!?

> NEVER get rid of your records. Even if you don't play them. Some of mine I
> don't play anymore (mostly ones bought on a whim or bands I've gone off
> since), but I still treasure them, nestled in their boxes with their
> alphabetic comtemporaries. Think of the artwork, matrix etchings and the
> sheer collectable value of a Smiths record.

> You'll regret it if they go.

I have to admit that I have sold a lot of records over the years which I have gone of, mainly due to being skint, and also the fact that its hard to manage so many records, at one stage I had about 500 LPs and was moving from house to house a lot, when I discovered my original mint Buzzcocks Spiral Scratch EP was cracked it was time for a clear out.

Here are a few of the things I've sold just to make you all cringe:

Stiff Little Fingers - Inflammable Material signed
Siouxsie & The Banshees - Juju signed
The Slits - The Cut promo
Never Mind The Bollox picture disc
Joy Division - An Ideal For Living EP

If it means I can keep my Smiths, Ruts, Clash, Kirsty MacColl and Only Ones vinyl in mint condition then its got to go, you will be amazed how much damage is done to sleeves when there are loads stacked together and you are flicking through them.

> Vinyl Exchange in Manchester is usually good for picking up second hand
> singles. Off the top of my head the B sides of Girlfriend In A Coma have
> never appeared on any albums.

Vinyl Exchange is the most over-rated shop in the world. Your best bets are record fairs, that's where I picked up most of mine.

Yes, but I know that deep down you love me picking on you. It is the highlight of your day
x

> Stop picking on me Bluenose.I'm not the man you think I am

Re: Are you insane?!?

*shakes head in disbelief*

AK, what were you thinking of? Clutter like clothes, excess furniture and boyfriends/girlfriends should be chucked before any records are to be re-homed.

My 'precious' vinyl pieces are in PVC sleeves and are kept in roomy record boxes (Smiths and Moz stuff have a box of thier own). I've moved around a few times and so far (toes AND fingers crossed) I haven't had any damages.

One thing that has caused amusement for others when I have moved my stuff form pillar to post had been the 5 foot pile of NMEs. Wouldn't part with those either. They document music history form my teens.

> I have to admit that I have sold a lot of records over the years which I
> have gone of, mainly due to being skint, and also the fact that its hard
> to manage so many records, at one stage I had about 500 LPs and was moving
> from house to house a lot, when I discovered my original mint Buzzcocks
> Spiral Scratch EP was cracked it was time for a clear out.

> Here are a few of the things I've sold just to make you all cringe:

> Stiff Little Fingers - Inflammable Material signed
> Siouxsie & The Banshees - Juju signed
> The Slits - The Cut promo
> Never Mind The Bollox picture disc
> Joy Division - An Ideal For Living EP

> If it means I can keep my Smiths, Ruts, Clash, Kirsty MacColl and Only
> Ones vinyl in mint condition then its got to go, you will be amazed how
> much damage is done to sleeves when there are loads stacked together and
> you are flicking through them.

Back
Top Bottom