'Now My Heart Is Full'- meanings?

'Now My Heart Is Full' is undoubtedly my favourite song of Morrissey's solo career. It's just sublime.

So, to the question- what meaning do you get from the song personally? I have a few ideas, but because it's so broad and open to interpretation I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on it first. I've seen a thread like this in the archives and read it, but I'd quite like an active discussion on this beautiful track. :)

fail.jpg

Last edited:
It is truly awesome it has to be said.:cool:

I've always just kind of assigned it my own meaning. When I hear the song, I hear it sang from the point of a view of a person who has committed suicide.

EDIT:And in my interpretation this person was starved for reassurance that the people in his life cared for him. He is happy because he sees the out pour of emotion from the people who have gathered. That was the reassurance he needed. He's now content. Now his heart is full.

Last edited:
This is my favourite Morrissey song. I welcome this discussion, having never known how to start it before. The suicide theory is one I have never considered. I have always considered it from the POV of someone who has just found fulfilment in their life, after a long period of discontentment. I shall read the previously linked posts tomorrow :D

this is my favourite song ever. I make sure I listen to it at least once a day sometimes more (is that sad?). when I listen to it, it fills me with so much happiness and whenever I have something big to do I always listen to it. had a job interview on monday and listened to it before I went in and it gave me confidence and made me feel great (sadly the job wasn't worth it). I know this really isn't a meaning but this song means so much to me.

Certainly one of my favourite Morrissey songs and I see it as using the suicide notion to show the death of his old gladeoli/hearing aid/A Taste of Honey/Smiths persona, that really died a long time before (if it ever really existed) and moving on, this is shown in the Brighton Rock references and how less wordy it is. "Billy Budd" has a bit of this mentality as well I reckon.

Certainly one of my favourite Morrissey songs and I see it as using the suicide notion to show the death of his old gladeoli/hearing aid/A Taste of Honey/Smiths persona, that really died a long time before (if it ever really existed) and moving on, this is shown in the Brighton Rock references and how less wordy it is. "Billy Budd" has a bit of this mentality as well I reckon.

That's a very interesting interpretation, I'd never thought of it that way before but it makes perfect sense. Someone on the other thread- can't remember exactly who, sorry- also suggested the 'gang mentality' theme ("Dallow, Spicer, Pinkie, Cubitt") could be referring to the whole 'gang' of The Smiths, which I also found a fascinating possibility.

I personally always thought of it like this- the song could be about becoming carried away with an all-encompassing love or passion for something, one that makes you almost unbearably happy, but in a melancholy way. It could be a book, a film, a song, or a person. The 'Brighton Rock' references suggest it's more likely to be one of the first two.

I'm not really sure though- it has so many possible meanings. I personally really like what Simon Goddard wrote about the song in Mozipedia:

"Yet for all its lyrical mystery, the sheer torrent of joy he brings to his vocal needs no deciphering. In 'Now My Heart Is Full' we hear Morrissey alone in the cinema, the Saturday matinee all to himself, dancing naked down the aisles silhouetted in silver beam, becoming ever drunker on the screen's pure neon glow and deafened by the echo of his own Hallelujah chorus."

:o

Last edited:
That's a very interesting interpretation, I'd never thought of it that way before but it makes perfect sense. Someone on the other thread- can't remember exactly who, sorry- also suggested the 'gang mentality' theme ("Dallow, Spicer, Pinkie, Cubitt") could be referring to the whole 'gang' of The Smiths, which I also found a fascinating possibility.

I personally always thought of it like this- the song could be about becoming carried away with an all-encompassing love or passion for something, one that makes you almost unbearably happy, but in a melancholy way. It could be a book, a film, a song, or a person. The 'Brighton Rock' references suggest it's more likely to be one of the first two.

I'm not really sure though- it has so many possible meanings. I personally really like what Simon Goddard wrote about the song in Mozipedia:

"Yet for all its lyrical mystery, the sheer torrent of joy he brings to his vocal needs no deciphering. In 'Now My Heart Is Full' we hear Morrissey alone in the cinema, the Saturday matinee all to himself, dancing naked down the aisles silhouetted in silver beam, becoming ever drunker on the screen's pure neon glow and deafened by the echo of his own Hallelujah chorus."

I always saw this song like the way of expressing the end of something special or necessary. When he quotes Dallow, Spicer, Pinkie, Cubitt I thought he found a "pretty way" to mention The SMiths' member - if I'm not wrong in the live version he sings "loser..."....

i like to read it as the story 'brighton rock' put to music, with morrissey as the outsider(literally watching the film, but also inexplicably linked to the narrative of the film - dallow, spicer, pinkie, cubitt - imaginary friends).

The song details morrissey or the narrator moving away from that period in their lives where they fell in love with the romance of films and music and images by forgetting about the imaginary 'bunny', possibly a metaphor for a real person in their lives, and letting that past slip quietly away, ironically by bathing tiredly in the nostalgia of it.

i like to read it as the story 'brighton rock' put to music, with morrissey as the outsider(literally watching the film, but also inexplicably linked to the narrative of the film - dallow, spicer, pinkie, cubitt - imaginary friends).

The song details morrissey or the narrator moving away from that period in their lives where they fell in love with the romance of films and music and images by forgetting about the imaginary 'bunny', possibly a metaphor for a real person in their lives, and letting that past slip quietly away, ironically by bathing tiredly in the nostalgia of it.

Very beautifully put :)

This would be my second choice of interpretation. :)

:rofl: I can assure you Morrissey goes to cinemas fully dressed.:popcorn:
And I can't believe someone actually paid this Goddard nutso money to write that. It's even worse than what I thought!

-"Oh look, here's Simon, a deranged perv fantasizing about stripping film-goers!"
-"Great! Let's ask him to write... a Morrissey encyclopedia!"

That description of the song could actually manage to put off people, and it's a beautiful song. (That and of course the fact he has no idea what it's based on.)

I look at the world, it makes me puke. Doesn't it you? :) (no, not talking to you, God-zilla)

Well done, dumbass. Hope you've made loads of money with that book.

Back
Top Bottom