My letter to the Independent Re Mozzgate

little stripey socks

dearth of a ladies man
This pretty much summed up my feelings over the last few days, though this story is changing all the time, as are my feelings. The bottom line is- I don't think, and have never thought, that Morrissey is racist.

to; [email protected]

Sir: I am following the spat between Morrissey and the NME with interest (Bigmouth Strikes Again, 5 December), and so thought it might be worth adding my two cents, sorry, twopennyworth, to the debate.

Personally, I've never thought that Morrissey was racist, (or partial), and I think he's right that immigration has changed the face of this country- and indeed, always has done. The relevant point here is whether this is a good thing or not; myself, I happen to think it is.

I'd say that if Morrissey is guilty of anything, it's not racism, but nostalgia for an idea of England that never really existed outside of Alan Bennet plays and the 'Carry On' films.

and so this brings us to the NME. To me, this interview reeks of a stitch up- and I find it astonishing that, as Morrissey claims in his official statement, the interviewer, who is purportedly the paper's star writer, has never heard of the song 'Drive in Saturday' by David Bowie.

I may buy the magazine, then burn it, and send the pictures to Morrissey for him to put up on his website- although burning the NME might be somewhat akin to setting fire to the Dandy as a political statement.

Of course, that's a joke, but I certainly won't be buying the magazine again- not because I'm a kneejerk Morrissey supporter- I'm not, but because I see them as trying to rekindle an old feud rather transparently to sell more copies. And because their star writer has never heard of 'Drive-in Saturday'!

Is anyone else tickled that the solicitor Morrissey has chosen to hire is called Tony English? He's a wry one, that man!

Yours, V Alexander, Moss Side, Manchester

Back
Top Bottom