Morrissey, my teacher, yours too?

Morrissey as teacher, what do you think?

• He has taught me things and I expect to learn more from him before its over

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • yeah, he's taught me stuff, but that time might be at an end

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • umm, I'm just one of the people who come here to hate him, does that count

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • nothing learned so far, but there is still time!

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • I am not really capable of learning from music &/or the lives of others

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Oh my god. it's Robby!

spontaneously luminescent
morrissey.jpg

been thinking about what Morrissey has taught me over the years with his music and life
hoping thats not done, anyhoo, here goes:

early on:
It’s OK to be sad.
Being witty has an inherent value all of its own.
That even though love can be painful, its worth it, maybe
To feel for the plight of creature’s less fortunate than us humans

in the middle
L’audace, l’audace, toujours l’laudace. Or maybe that was someone else. :p
No, that really fits when I think how awesome he was when he first went “solo”
To hold on to my friends.
That I was right, being brave was romantic, but terribly foolish.
&
more recently
To take better care of myself
Watch the company I keep
Be more careful about what I say
-the last 3 more by way of not emulating him rather than the other way around, sadly :o

What about you, what did he teach you, anything?
More importantly, do you think he has anything left to teach you?
Good or Bad…

Last edited:
Well before I listened to The Smiths, I thought very lyric-centrical music was stupid and a waste of time(I assumed, 'well if you want poetry, why not go to the library instead of the record store?'). That's actually why I refused to listen to them in the first place-- I assumed they were some pretentious, boring band. But I learned that as long as the lyrics have got an equally strong sound to match, then it can be gold!
Now, when I write my own songs, I often compare my lyrics to Morrissey's (and other good lyricists).... it's becoming an issue :(
(okay, maybe this isn't quite what I learned from Morrissey, more of "What I learned from The Smiths", but whatever)

Oh wow I left this out, but I definitely took interest in Morrissey partly because of the way he launched himself into fame from being just some lonely teenager in his bedroom like me to this sort of enigma that everyone wanted to understand. So I've definitely learned something from that, perhaps one day if I make it in the music world, I'll be sure to take some notes from how he's carried himself as a star (although I certainly wont be taking notes on alot of the things he's done)

Last edited:
Morrissey taught me that the Chinese are a subspecies.
Morrissey taught me that that you can still be a sensitive soul and consistently wish death publicly on people you don't like.
Morrissey taught me that animal life is superior to human life...except when you really feel like wearing leather shoes.
Morrissey taught me that it is OK to still be using AOL in 2013.
Morrissey taught me that a suitable way to end friendships is with notes/faxes.
Morrissey taught me that if you consider someone a "friend", it is OK not to pay them when you owe them.
Morrissey taught me that if you're not going to show up for work, it is OK not to inform anyone until days after the fact with a dramatic paragraph or two.
Morrissey taught me that if you do show up for work, it is OK to perform your job while drunk.
Morrissey taught me that 'The Youngest Was The Most Loved' was a gift of a single to any record label and a surefire #1.

Morrissey taught me that that you can still be a sensitive soul and consistently wish death publicly on people you don't like.
Morrissey taught me that animal life is superior to human life...except when you really feel like wearing leather shoes.
Morrissey taught me that if you consider someone a "friend", it is OK not to pay them when you owe them.
Morrissey taught me that if you're not going to show up for work, it is OK not to inform anyone until days after the fact with a dramatic paragraph or two.
Morrissey taught me that if you do show up for work, it is OK to perform your job while drunk.
Morrissey taught me that 'The Youngest Was The Most Loved' was a gift of a single to any record label and a surefire #1.

Don't forget the fact that war is a "heterosexual hobby"...

It would have been quicker just to click option 3. Option three is winning lol.

Interesting idea for a poll but the word "taught" doesn't quite feel like the right word.

Morrissey has influenced my thinking and some lifestyle behaviour such as refusing to ever work a soul-crushing office job (okay there was a period of a year, just once), creativity, self-deprecation and misanthropy. And I thank him for it!

(fenner -- good to see Japan-era D. Sylvian in an Avatar)

1980s Morrissey was an incredible thing. Witty, wise, thoughtful, original, charming. Taught me a huge amount of stuff.
21st Century Morrissey is a horrible thing. Bigoted, foolish, deluded, offensive, charmless. Taught me to give the man a wide berth.

I think of the movie "The Polar Express" when Santa hands the boy the bell. The boy and the girl can hear it ring, but others, including his parents, cannot. With the Smiths' music in particular, if you are a teenager or someone going through a difficult life experience, you can hear the message in the music; it's like he knew you personally without ever meeting you. For those who've never had those feelings or experiences, the Smiths' music is just 80s music clumped with other bands from that period. For some, all they hear is depressing music- no message, no words of comfort, no validation of their feelings, no lifeline. I think once you've lived through that period in your life and grown, then the music and lyrics don't "talk" to you as much. It's still a part of the make up of your life, just not an integral part of the current life.

"Hear my voice in your head and think of me kindly"

Ethnocentricity is not necessarily a bad thing: "England for the English" and "Life is hard enough when you belong here"

Last edited:
Interesting idea for a poll but the word "taught" doesn't quite feel like the right word.

Morrissey has influenced my thinking and some lifestyle behaviour such as refusing to ever work a soul-crushing office job (okay there was a period of a year, just once), creativity, self-deprecation and misanthropy. And I thank him for it!

(fenner -- good to see Japan-era D. Sylvian in an Avatar)

Aren't you splitting hairs , you fusspot ?

Taught me, Yes. Inspired me, Yes. Made me think before acting/speaking. Assured me that's its okay to make fun of yourself, (and loads of others), Plus: David Sylvian never sang, just filled songs with 'groggy moans", Janet Jackson dances badly, Jaime Oliver is a menace, MTV has always sucked, and if you really love animals, you can never run for a political office. And so many other things to which I will always be grateful.

Moz as a role model? You have to be kidding!

Sometimes we learn how to behave by seeing others make arses of themselves. Moz does this frequently, and more and more as the years go on, sadly impinging on the ability to enjoy his melodious voice and intriguing lyrics.

- - - Updated - - -

"Morrissey as Anti Role-Model: How Not To Age, How Not To Behave In The Public Eye." I'm sure someone will do a dissertation along these lines if his career does completely implode 'going forward'.

- - - Updated - - -

Taught me, Yes. Inspired me, Yes. Made me think before acting/speaking. Assured me that's its okay to make fun of yourself, (and loads of others), Plus: David Sylvian never sang, just filled songs with 'groggy moans", Janet Jackson dances badly, Jaime Oliver is a menace, MTV has always sucked, and if you really love animals, you can never run for a political office. And so many other things to which I will always be grateful.

Thus saving you the bother of having to think through those issues by yourself. The very definition of cult behaviour. "Moz Army Member": a sub-faction of the cult unlikely to find favour with Moz as he thinks heterosexuals wage war and might think you are going to invade Canada on his behalf. To save the seals....

Lets face it, despite teachers having half the fukin year off anyhow, how many full weeks would he actually put in, more probably he would be covered by an uninspirational supply teacher.

Back
Top Bottom