Marr 'Interview' and pics from todays Guardian

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
In todays G2 section of The Guardian, which is given over to the Glastonbury Festival, theres an interview and pictures - "Johnny Marr - Pieces Of Me" in which there are pictures of items dear to Johnny, and his descriptions of them. I could have posted the pics here, but they are large and would have distorted the page; instead here's the links:

Marr Article Page 1

Marr Article Page 2

There's also a series of HMV ads, featuring bands and their 'inspiration'. Here's one of those ads:

Guardian Ad

You might have to resize the pics in your browser to see the larger size.

Peter

P.S There's been a lot of Marr in the various Media recently, don't you think?

Last edited:
Intensely cool -- thanks, Uncle!

Man, his pic of Aldous Huxley freaks me out... too spooky. It's interesting that Johnny is so taken with Huxley's drug essays rather than his novels. "The Doors of Perception" is interesting but hopelessly dated and naive (mescaline can solve all the ills of society, with none of the addiction or violence that alcohol contributes to -- yeah, right!), whereas "Brave New World" is even more revelant now than when it was written.

hurrah for ju ju marr.
lol.

ape and essence read it your freaks. i promise its not a bio about yours truly!

:D Oh sweetness!!!

um okay I'll make it known..Im a huge Marr fan..so to see this and the Modest Mouse stuff too..and the goggles..*passes out*

Intensely cool -- thanks, Uncle!

Man, his pic of Aldous Huxley freaks me out... too spooky. It's interesting that Johnny is so taken with Huxley's drug essays rather than his novels. "The Doors of Perception" is interesting but hopelessly dated and naive (mescaline can solve all the ills of society, with none of the addiction or violence that alcohol contributes to -- yeah, right!), whereas "Brave New World" is even more revelant now than when it was written.
And let's not forget "Point Counter Point", an even better novel than "Brave New World".

Point Counter Point

Is it? I must check it out then. I've been reading Huxley's "Island" and his wife Laura's "You Are Not the Target" (an early self-help book from the 60's).

Re: Point Counter Point

Is it? I must check it out then. I've been reading Huxley's "Island" and his wife Laura's "You Are Not the Target" (an early self-help book from the 60's).
I haven't read "Island", here's something to put on my reading list. What other novels by him have you read? I must say I've only read "Point Counterpoint" a few years ago at the uni when I was studying English language & literature...it's interesting that, as far as I remember, everybody I talked to said it was one of their favourite books from the reading lists... and afterwards I read "Brave New World".

Funny how this has gone from being a Marr thread to a Huxley thread. :p

The only Huxley books I've read are Brave New World, Island, and the Doors of Perception essay.

I checked out an excerpt of the book Johnny is reading on amazon.com, Ouspensky's In Search of the Miraculous. Too dense for me! Though the subject matter is quite interesting. He's gotten very cosmic, our Johnny :)

I take my eldest boy to Speedway to see the Lakeside Hammers.

The smell of Speedway is amazing and fantastically exciting for a lad of 6.

Reminds me of the proper working class I used to remember as a kid.

Can keep your 'Premiership' football. Football is Dead.

um okay I'll make it known..Im a huge Marr fan..so to see this and the Modest Mouse stuff too..and the goggles..*passes out*

wow..really? i find the modest mouse stuff awful.. shrug...i like johnny , but i feel joining mm was beneath him

wow..really? i find the modest mouse stuff awful.. shrug...i like johnny , but i feel joining mm was beneath him

I have to disagree. I've just seen them on stage, and they are really making good sound, two drummers, various instruments, they experiment a great deal, and Johnny was rocking, absolutely wild on stage. Yes, MM is hard to get into, but live they are impressive. As he said, music is the most important thing, so he would never join a band where he had nothing to do or should play some mediocre stuff. He enjoys this period with MM, and he wouldn't, if he felt he was uninterested.

yeah really..hehe..um Im really a MM fan..and Marr of course..um MM is just brilliant..I completely agree when Johnny said Issac is probably the best lyricist at the moment..I thing the MM joining isnt below Johnny..I mean I think its great that he has found a place for him to be in a band and get his music out..and Im looking forward to whatever he does with the Healers still..hes a brilliant guitar player and im sorry but i have to say this..*ducks from the flying stones* but I feel ashamed that the man cannot get away from the smiths..its been almost 20 years and still in almost every interview he is asked about the Smiths and Moz..i mean I read the Q&A section of his site and all the smiths questions..he even says he's bored by it all..its time to move on..hes a Mouse now..and he's made it clear hes not going back ..Smith fans should quit smothering him with it all..:)

Im a Marr fan and I love that hes with MM and clearly enjoying the time, atmosphere and music!

Confessions all around. Saw Johnny playing with MM and am now a total fan of MM. Isaac is brilliant all around, more brilliant with JM. Listen to "Little Motel" and "People As Places As People". What a sweet sound for MM. And all the past and present songs are good for Johnny to rock out... and anchor the band. JM is writing some of his better riffs in a long time with MM. Hope things don't implode/expode and they go forward together.

Confessions all around. Saw Johnny playing with MM and am now a total fan of MM. Isaac is brilliant all around, more brilliant with JM. Listen to "Little Motel" and "People As Places As People". What a sweet sound for MM. And all the past and present songs are good for Johnny to rock out... and anchor the band. JM is writing some of his better riffs in a long time with MM. Hope things don't implode/expode and they go forward together.
a total Ditto from me.. yeah I love Little Motel *plays it right now* the solo in it and the guitar is so strong and sweet.. and We've got everything is brilliant too..the whole album is strong ..I just saw a video last night where Johnny sings the last few lines of Fire It Up live..it was really sweet.. I cant wait till August and what else is to come!
:D

Wow, finally some nice things said about Johnny. MM is great live, and the new album is excellent. Didn't realize how much I liked Brock's lyrics on most the songs till I really paid attention and read them. (The packaging on the deluxe CD is worth paying for.)

I'm not bothered that there are still references to the Smiths where Johnny's concerned. But I am still looking forward to another Healers album.
Great pic there, tanner sis.

YEY! :p yes the new album is great as ive said countless times not only here lol when i really like something im a broken record hehe but now I have to go and get MM's back discography ..I 1st got into them with the Float On mainstream then went of in a new direction..but Im back and happier than ever to see them live! I havent bought the cd yet..but I plan on it..since i like it so much..I collect vinyl so I my go for the record and 32 page booklet or whatever comes with it..
god I could ramble on for ages hehehe thanks:D

Wow, finally some nice things said about Johnny. MM is great live, and the new album is excellent. Didn't realize how much I liked Brock's lyrics on most the songs till I really paid attention and read them.

I've...ahem...downloaded some live concerts of MM from this year, one being a NPR concert that's readily accessible. Each show has some different songs and feel. The next best thing to seeing them live. Love hearing Johnny and his guitars! Interesting to hear JM play the earlier MM songs. Isaac is nothing to sneeze about either. Pure talent, I say.

"...from the one you left behind" Unhappy Birthday

Back
Top Bottom