Johnny Marr 2024 UK Tour

I really wish Neil and Johnny would make an album together, sans Chris. Not that I've anything against Chris or the Pet Shop Boys, but would just love to see Neil stepping in to the Morrissey role as lyricist/vocalist to Johnny's music. But I guess Neil feels it would be like cheating on his wife.
Neil did say back in the 80s that the Pet Shop Boys were The Smiths you can dance to.

that was my point ,imagine having your night ruined by someone whose voice sounds like a cat being strangled sitting next to you

Pretty much the same "Get off the stage!" feeling evoked in me by Johnny Marr's singing. He's like a drunk uncle at a wedding karaoke, who was evidently big into The Smiths back in the day.

Pretty much the same "Get off the stage!" feeling evoked in me by Johnny Marr's singing. He's like a drunk uncle at a wedding karaoke, who was evidently big into The Smiths back in the day.

As I said before, everyone has there own opinions, this tour has seen Marr playing in bigger venues that previous tours and last December 10k watched him in Manchester over 2 nights, so some people seem to enjoy what he does.

As I said before, everyone has there own opinions, this tour has seen Marr playing in bigger venues that previous tours and last December 10k watched him in Manchester over 2 nights, so some people seem to enjoy what he does.

Yes they do and for the life of me I can't work out why, because........it really doesn't seem very good.

Yes they do and for the life of me I can't work out why, because........it really doesn't seem very good.

Possibly because everyone has their own personal opinion on everything. The Marr Orchestral gig I went to in Manchester was the best gig I have seen for years and I go to a lot of gigs.

Great to see Johnny enjoying himself. He deserves all the success he has had and is having. Always comes across as a cool guy.

Mass adulation has never been a trustworthy barometer of talent. I look at cheering, swaying crowds like and am, thankfully, no longer of an age where the sight would in any way influence my conviction that it says nothing about the talent (or lack of it) of the act on the stage.

Mass adulation has never been a trustworthy barometer of talent. I look at cheering, swaying crowds like and am, thankfully, no longer of an age where the sight would in any way influence my conviction that it says nothing about the talent (or lack of it) of the act on the stage.

Maybe maybe not, depends on your opinion, virtually every review mentions Johnny's talent and it seems like people enjoy his show and that's all that matters for the people who go.

Maybe maybe not, depends on your opinion, virtually every review mentions Johnny's talent and it seems like people enjoy his show and that's all that matters for the people who go.

I don't dispute he has talent - but it's for guitar playing and composing music, not for singing and writing lyrics. I doubt any reviewer is sincerely lauding his talents in those areas. Then again, never overestimate the critical faculties of 'professional' critics.

He was the guitarist in The Smiths ffs. Without The Smiths none of us would be here on this website, 40 years later. Of course he is a talented musician and guitarist. What planet are you on?

I don't dispute he has talent - but it's for guitar playing and composing music, not for singing and writing lyrics. I doubt any reviewer is sincerely lauding his talents in those areas. Then again, never overestimate the critical faculties of 'professional' critics.
I would imagine most people go to see (and hear) Johnny play guitar - the singing is of secondary importance. And when the audience is singing along, who really cares? The reverse is true with Morrissey. Most people are there to see and hear him sing - the band is of secondary importance.

You seem very intent on belaboring a point - what is it? That you don't like Johnny Marr? You think he should only play guitar, not sing at his own shows. If it's not that then I can't tell what you are on about.

You seem very intent on belaboring a point - what is it? That you don't like Johnny Marr? You think he should only play guitar, not sing at his own shows. If it's not that then I can't tell what you are on about.

I think he should only play guitar, not sing at his shows.

Especially not his own songs, which are awful.

Maybe I cant get over the fact that it's not Morrissey's voice. Oh well.

We're never going to get the Smiths back. When Johnny plays the Smiths, it is complete for me and a lot of other people. 3,500,000 views strong!

Maybe I cant get over the fact that it's not Morrissey's voice. Oh well.

I get that, when I go to see him it's more for his later solo stuff, Armatopia, Spirit Power and Soul and Somewhere are brilliant in my opinion. The new working of Somewhere for the Orchestral gigs was fabulous and its nice to see that he did that version on his latest tour.

Back
Top Bottom