Hey Daddy-O ~ It's the 50s

Re: Hey Daddy-O ~ It's the 50s!

Last edited by a moderator:

jeff chandler.png

There's no trace of cool temperatures or refreshing winds within this August evening, but at least there's Jeff Chandler.......

"I Should Care" by Jeff Chandler (1953)

-I hadn't heard of Jeff Chandler before late last night. I popped in an old time radio classic cassette and started listening to "The New Adventures of Michael Shayne." About three years ago I bought a twenty cassette collection of old time radio classics at a second-hand store. I loaned most of the science fiction tapes to a former co-worker and he supposedly lost them all. He's so scatterbrained that I truly believe he lost them. Anyway, I still have the detective tapes, the comedy tapes (with the unfunny dated humor, no thanks), the Western tapes ( "Tales of the Texas Rangers" and ""Gunsmoke" are both ace), and a few other odds and ends. I listened to about a third of "...Michael Shayne" but kept falling asleep. (Maybe tonight I'll try to finish listening to it.) The program was actually quite good and the actor voicing Michael Shayne was dynamite. This morning I found out that man was Jeff Chandler. He had a wonderful voice for old-time radio! I looked him up on Wikipedia and found out he was in many movies and did tons of work in old-time radio. He also had a somewhat successful singing career. Unfortunately he died young, from complications after a surgery. He died in 1961 at the age of 42.

View attachment 32556

There's no trace of cool temperatures or refreshing winds within this August evening, but at least there's Jeff Chandler.......

"I Should Care" by Jeff Chandler (1953)

-Rose Marie savaged Jeff in her 2002 autobiography by rudely stating that, "Jeff Chandler was a great guy, but he was no singer."

He was no actor either. Judging by that song, his voice was competent but unremarkable. Dean Martin did the Bing Crosby impersonation with more style and versatility (for instance: 'Innamorata' from the entertaining Artists and Models film). Rose Marie's singing voice was outstanding. Go to YouTube and listen to her version of "Take a Picture of the Moon" with the Fletcher Henderson Orchestra and marvel at her power and range (she was nine years old when she recorded the song). I would post it here but it's not from the 1950s.

Her guttural growls are more convincing than Morrissey's on "I Started Something I Couldn't Finish", and she had less time to develop the technique. He finally surpassed her, and himself, in 2009 when he reached his vocal peak with I'm OK By Myself and SISMS. I'm ignoring the gender-specific slur, in fact I excised it from the quoted post. I'm too moved by Rose Marie's music right now to allow it to trouble me. Anyone interested in hearing more music from the Fletcher Henderson Orchestra should try the song "Variety Stomp", you'll know it if you've ever watched PBS Jazz documentaries.

I largely approve of this thread, it has potential, and it's possible that I'll be a semi-frequent contributor to it. That is, provided the thread's creator doesn't bombard me with more of her speculation about posters' supposed 'true' identities. Or she'll get placed on 'The Index'. What that is will presently become clear. We'll save that for another thread. We can all be friends here. This is a safe place.

My favourite '50s song is 'The Big Hurt' by Miss Toni Fisher (and not just from the '50s, but from any decade); it has been for over three years and is still as stirring as the first time I listened to it. Scott Walker did a sub-par cover on his first 'Scott' album, why tamper with perfection?

Below are two songs which I've been known to sing along to on numerous occasions. I'm hoping to make some new music discoveries on this thread. Are the crowd here knowledgeable enough about the 1950s? The creator isn't, judging by the obvious choices of Elvis and Ritchie Valens. Elvis was a devout Christian you know, what are you listening to him for? LOL! Don't answer that. *Dangles the threat of The Index over your head*.

The singing career of Jeff Chandler was new to me but I'm not even interested in him for the kitsch value, and this is coming from someone who recently purchased Gale Storm and Dorothy Lamour albums..

Let's keep this friendly, on topic, and most importantly: safe! Then we can all make discoveries! Got it..?

Smiling kindly and politely,
Mozambiguous, with help from his amanuensis Sookie.
'(Lookie, Lookie, Lookie) Here Comes Sookie' - Cleo Brown. Not 1950s, so can't be posted either. I keep within the guidelines. I expect the same from everyone else too.
Is this understood....? :mad: Because I won't say it twice!

"The Southern Gentleman" took this song to #4, on the highly respected JukeBox Chart, in '57. (The song was actually recorded in '56.) The song is simply entitled...

"Young Love" by Sonny James (1956)

He was no actor either. Judging by that song, his voice was competent but unremarkable. Dean Martin did the Bing Crosby impersonation with more style and versatility (for instance: 'Innamorata' from the entertaining Artists and Models film). Rose Marie's singing voice was outstanding. Go to YouTube and listen to her version of "Take a Picture of the Moon" with the Fletcher Henderson Orchestra and marvel at her power and range (she was nine years old when she recorded the song). I would post it here but it's not from the 1950s.

Her guttural growls are more convincing than Morrissey's on "I Started Something I Couldn't Finish", and she had less time to develop the technique. He finally surpassed her, and himself, in 2009 when he reached his vocal peak with I'm OK By Myself and SISMS. I'm ignoring the gender-specific slur, in fact I excised it from the quoted post. I'm too moved by Rose Marie's music right now to allow it to trouble me. Anyone interested in hearing more music from the Fletcher Henderson Orchestra should try the song "Variety Stomp", you'll know it if you've ever watched PBS Jazz documentaries.

I largely approve of this thread, it has potential, and it's possible that I'll be a semi-frequent contributor to it. That is, provided the thread's creator doesn't bombard me with more of her speculation about posters' supposed 'true' identities. Or she'll get placed on 'The Index'. What that is will presently become clear. We'll save that for another thread. We can all be friends here. This is a safe place.

My favourite '50s song is 'The Big Hurt' by Miss Toni Fisher (and not just from the '50s, but from any decade); it has been for over three years and is still as stirring as the first time I listened to it. Scott Walker did a sub-par cover on his first 'Scott' album, why tamper with perfection?

Below are two songs which I've been known to sing along to on numerous occasions. I'm hoping to make some new music discoveries on this thread. Are the crowd here knowledgeable enough about the 1950s? The creator isn't, judging by the obvious choices of Elvis and Ritchie Valens. Elvis was a devout Christian you know, what are you listening to him for? LOL! Don't answer that. Index.

The singing career of Jeff Chandler was new to me but I'm not even interested in him for the kitsch value, and this is coming from someone who recently purchased Gale Storm and Dorothy Lamour albums..

Let's keep this friendly, on topic, and most importantly: safe! Then we can all make discoveries! Got it..?

'(Lookie, Lookie, Lookie) Here Comes Sookie' - Cleo Brown. Not 1950s, so can't be posted either. I keep within the guidelines. I expect the same from everyone else too.

Wow, I actually deleted the Rose Marie comment because it wasn't the funniest. Out of all the threads to get tripped up on, this is the one I would've picked to be the least likely for that to happen. I'll go to YouTube and listen to the "Take a Picture of the Moon" song. (Wonderful song title by the way, and even cooler that tonight is Supermoon night.) As far as Jeff Chandler's acting, he was in a lot of films. True, he wasn't exactly featured in Academy Award nominated fare, but he made a mark. His voicing of the Michael Shayne character, in "The New Adventures of Michael Shayne," was exquisite. True, I only listened to eight or nine minutes of it before I conked out, but he was outstanding in the segment of the production that I listened to. I'll write more, but want to fire this off first.

Below are two songs which I've been known to sing along to on numerous occasions. I'm hoping to make some new music discoveries on this thread. Are the crowd here knowledgeable enough about the 1950s? The creator isn't, judging by the obvious choices of Elvis and Ritchie Valens. Elvis was a devout Christian you know, what are you listening to him for? LOL! Don't answer that. Index.

I'm going to look up the Dean Martin song that you mentioned. I've never been a fan of Dean Martin, but I'm willing to give that song a chance. I really dislike "That's Amore." I also couldn't stand the Martin & Lewis films. Actually, those are his only works I'm really familiar with. I also can't stand Bing Crosby. I'm very tired, and I shouldn't write this, but there was a reason two of his sons committed suicide. He was the father from hell, from pretty much all accounts. I can't believe that guy won an Oscar for Best Actor. He had a good voice, maybe even a great voice, but nothing about that pipsqueak electrifies me. Absolutely nothing.

I know very little about the music of the 1950's. I hope you post some great songs. I haven't had a chance to listen to the two you posted. Also, I definitely want to check out "The Big Hurt" by Toni Fisher. That song just sounds intriguing.

Also, I'm pretty sure Reality set this thread up to post anything from the 1950's. A person could post magazine ads, television show clips, movie clips (two of my three favorite films are from the 50's; "Roman Holiday" (1953) and "Shane" (1953), sporting events clips, etc., etc. And of course clips from old-time radio classics! Hopefully I can find some splendid nuggets from "The New Adventures of Michael Shayne," featuring the sparkling voice work of the late Jeff Chandler.

Back
Top Bottom