Fox5NY: Morrissey, Exclusive Performance & Interview (October 20, 2023)

UPDATE October 20:

"Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings" on "Good Day New York / Fox5NY - Winkin’ Long / YouTube. Link posted by TheSmiths_1985.

Interview with Rosanna Scotto now on Fox5NY and YouTube:

From MarcoD71 (mp4 download available):

Audio link and screenshot posted by Famous when dead:

full

Posted by Famous when dead (original post):

full

Media coverage:
Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've now watched the whole interview. I don't get why he shied away from doing interviews. When he is like this, just talking without any agenda, he really comes off as nice and still his usual bit eccentric...
Yes this one went really well and I would love to see more like it. Rosanna seemed a good match for him. But in the UK something like this could still be a minefield for him. Hardly a week goes by without them lining up someone new to cancel for something or other.

I can kind of hear an acoustic guitar in the spot you're talking about, but it disappears at the instrumental break. If they were piping in a backing track, wouldn't the acoustic guitar be there for the whole tune? I'm not convinced Carmen Vandenberg is so untalented that she's essentially a guitarist Milli Vanilli.
It's the subtlety of sound mixing. The acoustic guitar backing track has variations in volume. That's the job of the sound person. At the end it almost vanishes.

I'm afraid it is a bit of a travesty or fraud (not her fault, she's probably just following orders) because many could believe she is doing the sound of that acoustic guitar.

In reality, she could not be there and no one would notice, soundwise. After all, a pre-recorded backing track is doing the job.

Imagine getting the chance for a rare interview/exposure where you bemoan the lack of a release for your great new album that you're dying to share with the world, and you choose to play an absolute dirge like 'Sure Enough...'.

He's done, I feel, if that's the best he can muster. If I was a neutral watching that, or a record company exec, it'd certainly not grab my attention or excite me.
Well, this is the guy who chose to play People Are the Same Everywhere in the Nobel gala...

The interview was nice though. He should really do this kind of thing more often.

I'm afraid it is a bit of a travesty or fraud (not her fault, she's probably just following orders) because many could believe she is doing the sound of that acoustic guitar.

If it's not her fault, then why is it being done? The original claim was that the acoustic part was being piped in because neither she nor Camila Grey could play it.

But these aren't difficult chords, and a five-piece band is more than sufficient to play the song. The only reason to use a backing track would be if someone's playing ability was so bad they couldn't hack it. I have a hard time believing Carmen Vandenberg would pass Jeff Beck's audition if she couldn't play.

Yes this one went really well and I would love to see more like it. Rosanna seemed a good match for him. But in the UK something like this could still be a minefield for him. Hardly a week goes by without them lining up someone new to cancel for something or other.
Maybe you are right. I supposed that there were similar media outlets in other countries too, but I really have no idea, how much of a minefield even a UK breakfast show would be for him. In my country I don't know (not that he ever gives a concert there nowadays or would give an interview, lol) it would certainly depend on how much the general public has forgotten about certain statements in the past and a newspaper interview would certainly be out of question (because he would be asked about these statements 100%). But I thought, maybe short and/or music related media outlets, where its likely, that they just talk music, fans etc and that's it could be an option.

You can see the wisdom of having a pr around. He can do that in the UK.

But, it'll take work, four years of Central has done more damage than 30 years of "print media".

He didn’t make a fool of himself. But like someone said, playing SEtTR and at the same time bemoan the lack of label interest is mind-boggling. It’s not the worst song he’s ever written, but it’s lightweight, throwaway and without any humour or wit. He can’t help perpetually digging his own grave.

Maybe you are right. I supposed that there were similar media outlets in other countries too, but I really have no idea, how much of a minefield even a UK breakfast show would be for him...
Local telly did for our last (or previous to that, lost count) prime minister. She thought it would be safe but they leapt at the chance to torpedo her. To be fair she was f**king awful.

He didn’t make a fool of himself. But like someone said, playing SEtTR and at the same time bemoan the lack of label interest is mind-boggling. It’s not the worst song he’s ever written, but it’s lightweight, throwaway and without any humour or wit. He can’t help perpetually digging his own grave.
'Sure enough, the telephone rings,
Who wants their money back?'

Maybe you are right. I supposed that there were similar media outlets in other countries too, but I really have no idea, how much of a minefield even a UK breakfast show would be for him. In my country I don't know (not that he ever gives a concert there nowadays or would give an interview, lol) it would certainly depend on how much the general public has forgotten about certain statements in the past and a newspaper interview would certainly be out of question (because he would be asked about these statements 100%). But I thought, maybe short and/or music related media outlets, where its likely, that they just talk music, fans etc and that's it could be an option.
He just needs to say beforehand that he won't be answering questions on politics, if he doesn't want to.

Local telly did for our last (or previous to that, lost count) prime minister. She thought it would be safe but they leapt at the chance to torpedo her. To be fair she was f**king awful.
It's different for a politician. They can't really avoid political questions, can they.

If it's not her fault, then why is it being done? The original claim was that the acoustic part was being piped in because neither she nor Camila Grey could play it.

But these aren't difficult chords, and a five-piece band is more than sufficient to play the song. The only reason to use a backing track would be if someone's playing ability was so bad they couldn't hack it. I have a hard time believing Carmen Vandenberg would pass Jeff Beck's audition if she couldn't play.

You're right, easy chords and a particular way of strumming that she seem to be unable to emulate. Maybe it's her musical background, distorted heavy blues/hard rock. That suited Jeff Beck perfectly well. Also she's young and looks cool/diverse enough to conform to current global trends

Go on M, give it to 'em
I enjoyed this. He was fire live in NY as well. Hearing him sing Istanbul was fecking brilliant
Such a great voice. Not sure why people think the sound wasn't that good, on the show. Sounded fine to me and his voice was great for early in the morning. M has done a few Fox things now, hasn't he?
I'd have liked to see him with Tucker. lol.
Those emails leaking could have done him a favour. No longer hiding behind the excuses. If he feels the LP is that good, he should get it out there, by any means. I know we have all said it before but I think he should self-release or go indie. He should then use the alt media.
A "f*** the mainstream" promotion. Would have been better during Covid but whatever.
I like the part when he said about ageing on here . You can tell he gets fecked off when people say about how he looks these days. Made me fecking piss myself when he said "Look at you" or whatever he said
His skin looks quite young, quite tight.. He looked pretty ropey from late 40s until 60s
but the last couple of years, he has looked much better. I think anyway.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom