Boz Boorer and Rockabilly stuff

R

Ruffian

As I have a general weakness for the more 'rockabilly' feel Morrissey songs.. for example 'Sing Your Life', 'Pregnant for the last time', 'The Loop'.. I always assumed Boz and Alain were behind these songs.. So, can anyone help me (given the sounds I am searching for in the above examples).. like, give advice on similar sounding collections.. For example Boz's work.. (e.g. 'Polecats').. ? I'd be interested in dancing round my kitchen while I'm making the tea or a tequila slammer to some of those crazy hep-cat sounds.....

Thanks for any advice.. or help..

> As I have a general weakness for the more 'rockabilly' feel
> Morrissey songs.. for example 'Sing Your Life', 'Pregnant for
> the last time', 'The Loop'.. I always assumed Boz and Alain were
> behind these songs.. So, can anyone help me (given the sounds I
> am searching for in the above examples).. like, give advice on
> similar sounding collections.. For example Boz's work.. (e.g.
> 'Polecats').. ? I'd be interested in dancing round my kitchen
> while I'm making the tea or a tequila slammer to some of those
> crazy hep-cat sounds.....

> Thanks for any advice.. or help..

I never fully explored the Polecats, but I have an EP of theirs, "Make a Circuit With Me" and it's one of my all-time favorite "dancing around my kitchen" records. Along with their original stuff, it's got a Bowie and T Rex cover. I highly recommend it. Click the link below for more info on it (hope it works - I never seem to get this right)...

Make a Circuit With Boz

DAMMIT!

Sure enough, the link didn't work.

Well, I was TRYING to link you to www.allmusic.com's listing of "Make a Circuit With Me," but I guess you'll have to find it yourself.

POLECATS ARE QUITE GOOD.

PLANET ROCKERS ARE AMAZING.

RED,HOT AND BLUE ARE GREAT.

DELTAS.

THERE ARE SO MANY GEMS OUT THERE...I HAVE GIVEN YOU A QUICK FEW OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD IF YOU WANT MORE INFO E MAIL ME OK.

I AM SURE IF YOU DO A SEARCH ON NERVOUS RECORDS THEY MUST HAVE A WEB SITE THESE DAYS...

YOU SOUND REALLY CHECK OUT PROPER 50s ROCKABILLY STUFF THE NEW BANDS JUST COVER THE BETTER SONGS LIKE BURNETTES,BENNY JOY,SONNY FISHER ETC ETC

I KNOW SOME GREAT MAIL ORDER SHOPS IN ENGLAND WHERE THEY HAVE EVERTHING FROM 50s ROCKABILLY AND BLUES TO THE PRESENT DAY BANDS.

THE BEAUTY WITH ROCKABILLY IS THERE IS AN OCEAN OF GREAT RECORDS.

> As I have a general weakness for the more 'rockabilly' feel
> Morrissey songs.. for example 'Sing Your Life', 'Pregnant for
> the last time', 'The Loop'.. I always assumed Boz and Alain were
> behind these songs.. So, can anyone help me (given the sounds I
> am searching for in the above examples).. like, give advice on
> similar sounding collections.. For example Boz's work.. (e.g.
> 'Polecats').. ? I'd be interested in dancing round my kitchen
> while I'm making the tea or a tequila slammer to some of those
> crazy hep-cat sounds.....

> Thanks for any advice.. or help..

>I just got "between the polecats" on Boz's recomendation(I wanted a place to start in Rockabilly too) It is burnig up my cd player, I love it.

POLECATS ARE QUITE GOOD.

> PLANET ROCKERS ARE AMAZING.

> RED,HOT AND BLUE ARE GREAT.

> DELTAS.

> THERE ARE SO MANY GEMS OUT THERE...I HAVE GIVEN YOU A QUICK FEW
> OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD IF YOU WANT MORE INFO E MAIL ME OK.

> I AM SURE IF YOU DO A SEARCH ON NERVOUS RECORDS THEY MUST HAVE A
> WEB SITE THESE DAYS...

> YOU SOUND REALLY CHECK OUT PROPER 50s ROCKABILLY STUFF THE NEW
> BANDS JUST COVER THE BETTER SONGS LIKE BURNETTES,BENNY JOY,SONNY
> FISHER ETC ETC

> I KNOW SOME GREAT MAIL ORDER SHOPS IN ENGLAND WHERE THEY HAVE
> EVERTHING FROM 50s ROCKABILLY AND BLUES TO THE PRESENT DAY
> BANDS.

> THE BEAUTY WITH ROCKABILLY IS THERE IS AN OCEAN OF GREAT
> RECORDS.

Go to www.nervous.co.uk. I would suggest you listen to RESTLESS, they are the kings of pop rockabilly. All of Moz's group have been in many rockabily bands, but they are fairly marginal artists in rockabilly, with the exception of Boz. The big boys of rockabilly are Johnny Burnette, Big Sandy, Charlie Feathers, Ray Campi, Mac Curtis, the lsit goes on and on, so cehck out that link.

Thanks for all the advice.. Sounds like 'Between The Polecats' would be a good current place to start!

Embarrassingly, I was told that Boz only played on 'Pregnant for the last time'.. out of my original list! Mark Nevin was on 'SIng YOur Life'...

Dude,

As far as Boz goes, I feel the must haves are Between The Polecats and any Boz & The Bozmen stuff you can get your hands on. That and the Cowboy Barnes and His Drinkin' Buddies CD which also includes Boz. Boz also has a label NV records which has many a rockabilly treat. The Shilleghlagh (sp?) Sisters featuring Boz and his wife is partiularilly awesome. But if you want to start at the beginning try the Elvis Sun material as well as Gene Vincent, Carl Perkins, Johnny Burnette, Charlie Feathers and Eddie Cochrane. From there you should be able to find many more goodies. In closing enjoy the rockabilly and let's hope Moz returns to the glam-a-billy Your Arsenal style next time out.

Back
Top Bottom