bigmouth

lilikoi

can anyone tell me what the lyrics of bigmouth are about? I don't understand them at all and it's killing me.

Well, literally it seems to say "yeah, I know that I tend to overdramatise things and sometimes make offensive comments, but don't hate me for it, I don't really mean it. Or maybe just a little". The Joan of Arc figure corresponds to his public image - a sexually ambiguous celibate (and, um, catholic). The walkman/hearing aid seems to refer to her communicating with angels, and it also serves to further blur the distinction between him and her by relating the medieval character to modern technology. And he says that unlike her, he doesn't want to get burned at stake for the things he says, but he knows that it's gonna happen anyway, because, well, he feels too different. And, um, I don't really find any deeper meaning to this song. But I mean, I guess we all feel this way sometimes. Well, I do.

And maybe there's a connection between this song and "Girlfriend In A Coma", perhaps.

i always thought it was pretty self-explanatory...

I think people are taught too much at school to look for hidden meanings in literature. That is not the way to relate to Morrissey's work. He's usually being pretty direct. He doesn't deal in metaphor too often.

I think people are taught too much at school to look for hidden meanings in literature. That is not the way to relate to Morrissey's work. He's usually being pretty direct. He doesn't deal in metaphor too often.

Well of course, claiming to feel like a woman from the 15th century with a walkman is as direct as you can get.

Yes it is, because it's not a metaphor. It's a joke.

Our sense of humor seems to be quite different, then. You say that it's only there for the humorous effect because it's nonsense? It might as well have been "Now I know how Genghis Khan felt when his microwave started to melt"? "Now I know how Charlemagne felt when he played catch with Henry VIII"? You really see no added metaphorical value in the specific reference to the images of Joan of Arc and a walkman?

Last edited:
I've always interpreted it to mean that the narrator of the song has gotten angry at someone he loves, and said some nasty things that he has since regretted ("Sweetness, Sweetness, I was only joking when I said I'd like to smash every tooth in your head"). As a consequence of saying these nasty things, his loved one has gotten angry at him, which makes him feel horribel. Therefore, he knows how Joan of Arc felt, because Joan of Arc also suffered because of the things that she said.

He's a "bigmouth" because he said what he really felt, probably without thinking much about it beforehand, probably in the heat of the moment.

Our sense of humor seems to be quite different, then. You say that it's only there for the humorous effect because it's nonsense? It might as well have been "Now I know how Genghis Khan felt when his microwave started to melt"? "Now I know how Charlemagne felt when he played catch with Henry VIII"? You really see no added metaphorical value in the specific reference to the images of Joan of Arc and a walkman?

Nope. I think he meant it as a joke. I think he used Joan of Arc because he thought it would be funny.

Morrisey knows he talks too much, he knows this is causing damage but he feel so cool being nasty and he likes that, whatever this will bring with it.
But then it comes the cruci-fiction... like the ambiguos woman hero from the past... buried alive.
The walkman is obviously irony... isn't it funny?

Morrisey knows he talks too much, he knows this is causing damage but he feel so cool being nasty and he likes that, whatever this will bring with it.
But then it comes the cruci-fiction... like the ambiguos woman hero from the past... buried alive.
The walkman is obviously irony... isn't it funny?

Right Morrissey knows he is very critical and harsh on others, doesn't have tolerance for their faults (or whatever they did to aggravate him), and doesn't mince words when replying to them or talking about them. Instead, he just lets his wicked tongue lash out, as usual. Hence - he opened his "bigmouth" again and said things that were OTT critical and threatening (ie, smash every tooth/bludgeoned in your bed), but this was still in jest, since he has no intention of actually knocking out someones teeth or killing anyone.

Like these two quotes (I posted recently for something else, but applicable here too)
1. "All I said was 'bring me the head of Elton John', which would be one instance when meat would not be murder, if it was on a plate."

2. “I would rather eat my own testicles than reform The Smiths, and that’s saying something for a vegetarian.”

So, then he moves on to the metaphor of Joan of Arc, in which she represents Morrissey himself and is burned at the stake for the crimes committed (ie, his nasty words when opening his bigmouth -- again). The walkman and hearing aid are added ironic props to create humor/depth to the song, as those are objects he would have on him (since he always wore a hearing aid during gigs as a stage prop and listened to his walkman constantly) as he is being crucified for his "crimes".

So, in response to Danny/davdavon, I would say this song contains many of the trademark "Morrissey" lyrical elements during the Smiths era, which include: metaphor, irony, and humor. :D

Joan of Arc is not a metaphor at all. He says "now I know how Joan of Arc felt". That's not a metaphor. He is not saying he is Joan of Arc. Or talking about Joan of Arc when he means something else. He means no serious commentary by it, either about himself or Joan of Arc. He is just taking the piss.

Nope. I think he meant it as a joke. I think he used Joan of Arc because he thought it would be funny.

How ridiculous!

Of course there's humor in the lines:

Now I know how Joan of Arc felt
As the flames rose to her roman nose
And her Walkman started to melt

But there's more to it than that. Joan of Arc was an excellent choice given the fact that she was burned at the stake for speaking what she believed. (in this case, the voices in her head)
The walkmen is humorous, I always imagine Joan of Arc wearing an invisible pair of headphones, now I know where those voices came from.
The flames are rising, she's about to die, now Morrissey knows how she felt like for having a big mouth.

I really don't think Morrissey thinks he is being martyred for what he says. The whole humour in the song is the fact that he's comparing himself with something totally out of proportion. He is elevating himself to the level of a religious martyr. He is being vainglorious and he knows it. So really, he doesn't know how Joan of Arc felt. That's the joke. And it is a joke. You are not meant to take it seriously.

Joan of arc is a humourous, ironic and exaggerated metaphor. Of course he doesn't elevate himself to her level, hence it is exaggerated. At the same time, she is still a metaphor for Morrissey being "unjustly" criticized by whomever (ie, the "sweetness" in the lyrics) for his choice words.

Joan of arc is a humourous, ironic and exaggerated metaphor. Of course he doesn't elevate himself to her level, hence it is exaggerated. At the same time, she is still a metaphor for Morrissey being "unjustly" criticized by whomever (ie, the "sweetness" in the lyrics) for his choice words.

Exactly, the abursdity of the comparison is humourous. (not to mention the genius move of giving her a walkman)
And works especially well given who she was and what she did.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom