Best Morrissey Song Ever, round 13

Best non-album track 2004/2005

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes, this was a great era for B-sides but it's a crying shame that Moz unnecessarily chose loads of duff songs for the album.
It could've been (at least close to) his best album ever if he'd selected the 10 best songs from the Quarry sessions (I'd argue that 4 or 5 of the 10 best songs ended up as b-sides).
The Never Played Symphonies is an absolute beauty, It's Hard to Walk Tall is a great piece of upbeat guitar pop with a classic confrontational Moz lyric; he attacks from the back, he scares with a stare, he can kill standing still; brilliant! Would've been a huge radio hit (unlike 3 of the 4 Quarry singles).
Daddy's Voice has humour (unlike most modern-day Moz songs), Friday Mourning has a gorgeous piano 'hook' and a lovely ad--libbed outro.
Oh well, will he ever learn?

Teenage Dad is brilliant.

With his Jenson Interceptor.
Its just a run-around.

PMSL

I'm really surprised to see that I'm the only one who has voted for "Munich Air Disaster 1958", thought that it would be competing for second place together with "Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice".

Too bad for "Public Image" and "Slum Mums" who are the best produced songs of all the Quarry-sessions and easily have the best music as well. Too bad that "Slum Mums" are a bad choice of subject (even if these two songs really fits to the subject of the a-side, "I Have Forgiven Jesus"). I really wish that "Munich Air Disaster 1958" could have reached those highs.

Tough choice between It's Hard and Mexico but went for the latter eventually. Surprised to see only one other person has voted for it thus far. His juxtaposition of North and South American culture and criticism of the former may seem a little trite but I love the lines "in Mexico/I lay on the grass/and cried my heart out/for want of my love". It's so simple and sentimental and touching and sums up all I love about this man.

Ooh, I like this period. Hard to choose for me between the glam stomp of Daddy's Voice and the touching melodrama of The Never Played. I went with the latter by a hair, but Daddy's Voice is a track I play more often.

Loved the rocking It's Hard to Walk Tall, too. For the musicologists out there, what period or other bands does this track remind you of? I never could quite put my finger on it.
The very opening guitair crash is very like Tommy gun- the Clash

I'm really surprised to see that I'm the only one who has voted for "Munich Air Disaster 1958", thought that it would be competing for second place together with "Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice".

Too bad for "Public Image" and "Slum Mums" who are the best produced songs of all the Quarry-sessions and easily have the best music as well. Too bad that "Slum Mums" are a bad choice of subject (even if these two songs really fits to the subject of the a-side, "I Have Forgiven Jesus"). I really wish that "Munich Air Disaster 1958" could have reached those highs.
Well, I would have voted for "The Public Image" if it wasn't for "Friday Mourning". Those two are among my favourite Morrissey B-sides.

Back
Top Bottom