Bernard Butler on getting Johnny Marr's guitar

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
In the Guardian G2 section today, there's a lengthy article by Bernard Butler, in which he glorifies the guitar (based on some figures this week that say guitar sales are higher than they ever have been). Here's an extract in which he talks about Johnny Marr's guitar...

"Johnny Marr gave me his guitar, and it's my pride and joy. It's a 12-string Gibson 335 that he played on most of Strangeways Here We Come, and a few records before that. I remember watching The Smiths on The Tube playing Sheila Take A Bow, admiring Johnny's 12-string. Fast-forward 10 years: I became friends with him and he gave that guitar to me. I almost died. He knows I'm a huge fan and (I) wouldn't have even made a record if it wasn't for him."

The full article can be found here...

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/features/story/0,,1858079,00.html

Peter

Thanks for posting this!

Normally I roll my eyes when people talk of The Smiths or Morrissey's supposedly vast influence on newer music and then reel off a list of six or seven bands with round-trip tickets from Obscurity tucked in their pockets. You know-- "Morrissey is a legend. He has influenced practically everyone. Why, without him we wouldn't have The Cheese Lords, Fixing Wilma, and Gyro Heartburn". But in a few cases, like the great Bernard Butler, The Smiths' influence is clear and really impressive. After Vini Reilly, Bernard Butler and David Gavurin (Sundays) would have been my top choices as Morrissey's guitarist/co-writers, but things worked out well enough anyway.

Last edited:
Worm said:
Thanks for posting this!

Normally I roll my eyes when people talk of The Smiths or Morrissey's supposedly vast influence on newer music and then reel off a list of six or seven bands with round-trip tickets from Obscurity tucked in their pockets. You know-- "Morrissey is a legend. He has influenced practically everyone. Why, without him we wouldn't have The Cheese Lords, Fixing Wilma, and Gyro Heartburn". But in a few cases, like the great Bernard Butler, The Smiths' influence is clear and really impressive. After Vini Reilly, Bernard Butler and David Gavurin (Sundays) would have been my top choices as Morrissey's guitarist/co-writers, but things worked out well enough anyway.

Totally agree about David Gavurin. What a combination that would have been.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom