Morrissey Central "AND WHEN YOU’RE DANCING AND LAUGHING AND FINALLY LIVING…" (March 29, 2024)

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m intrigued mainly because I grew up in Hastings. It’s a bit of a backwater and neither the Smiths or Morrissey ever played there. The Smyths play lots of gigs each year. Why promote this one in particular?
I’m not convinced they knew what they were posting. Just as possible they thought it was a Smiths poster, added it to Central and come sobering up time, didn’t bother to take it down. The hoax post is still up after all

I’m intrigued mainly because I grew up in Hastings. It’s a bit of a backwater and neither the Smiths or Morrissey ever played there. The Smyths play lots of gigs each year. Why promote this one in particular?
Do you remember when Tony Hadley got disguised and appeared on stage with True Gold? Maybe it's in Morrissey's return to stage plan that he will do similar. Though publicising it on here would be a bit of a giveaway.

Do you remember when Tony Hadley got disguised and appeared on stage with True Gold? Maybe it's in Morrissey's return to stage plan that he will do similar. Though publicising it on here would be a bit of a giveaway.
Wouldn’t that be marvelous! I can’t see Morrissey venturing to the White Rock Theatre somehow, though he did do Leas Cliff Hall last year 🤔

I saw them in Belfast last night, the singer looked more like Jimmy Carr than Moz I thought - they're very good - Reel Around The Fountain, I Know It's Over, Stop Me and Hand in Glove were superb. These Charming Men, an Irish tribute group are far better in my opinion. Regardless, it was a fun night out and the bassist played a lovely candy apple red F precision which caught my eye. I was up the front for both sets; a girl told me at the end that I shouldn't be allowed out and she's not wrong.
I agree, i have seen These Charming Men a number of times now and they are far better. The band are really tight and the new singer has a great vocal range for the high notes. Actually looking forward to seeing them in Belfast again in September

M seems to be thinking about Smiths more and more
He should use these thoughts and put out a companion book to his autobiography. Just on Smiths years
That would be the dogs..

I don't get tribute bands
It kind of creeps me out. The Beatles one was ok but when you get into Bowie and Smiths there is something odd about it. The singers seem to method act their way into a personality disorder. I just don't know why people would rather go to these than, say a Smiths DJ night? .
Surely listening to the actual songs is better? Also, there was an element of singer love you have with M, you can't get that with these tribute bands they never look like M and can't sing like him

I think they actually show how important M is, the backing music is good. Its well copied by these bands but the M part isn't. I just watched the Smyths and the music is good but the M person looked nothing like him, he seems like a ginger minge to me. He kinda looked like Lofty from Eastenders
He seems a nice guy though and I honestly wish them well, if they enjoy what they do and make bank, good luck to em.
I have to say the singer from Via Morrissey is the most pathetic person, you could ever meet, which I have a few times. He looks like a $1 store Spandau Ballet tribute
A load of people asked Ally M from Brighton to be in Smiths/M tribute bands and a manager of quite a big band asked to manage him. He said no. Now I admit he is the image of M, and does give off the M "vibe" but he would never have been able to do the voice, no chance.

Again, it shows just how special M is.A true great.
I think he seems a bit lost these days. Directionless I wouldn't;t be surprised if he deeply regrets not getting back with Johnny when he had the chance. Don't get me wrong, I like the music M has put out since 2008. it just seems he has suddenly realised just how great Smiths were again. Most artists just look forward and try not to hang around in past glories but I think M has been reflecting a lot, and probably thinking "How the feck did it come to this?"
To me, it seems things started to really fecking hit the fan around 2008, maybe none of that would ever have happened if he had joined up with Johnny.
He would have moved from his "Quarry " come back, done Ringleaders .. Then could have got back with Johnny and done something special and made millions. Released his autobiography.
He would have been in a different position
Instead, he hangs out with Jesse and gets KY on board. and although the records were good, to some of us anyway. you always thought, he could do better and critically, he really took a tumble.

I just wonder if any of this is running through his noggin.

Went to see a show here - a tribute band too. Maybe not everyone's favourite thing for all of the reasons said, but for me it's great to be able to celebrate a long dormant or split band and see some great - or at least enthusiastic reproduction of your fave songs. Yes it's a bonus if they look the part too but that is usually next to impossible.
Not so great if the songs are mangled but that's where alcohol comes in. Unless you're tea-total, then maybe best to stay at home.

M seems to be thinking about Smiths more and more
He should use these thoughts and put out a companion book to his autobiography. Just on Smiths years
That would be the dogs..

I don't get tribute bands
It kind of creeps me out. The Beatles one was ok but when you get into Bowie and Smiths there is something odd about it. The singers seem to method act their way into a personality disorder. I just don't know why people would rather go to these than, say a Smiths DJ night? .
Surely listening to the actual songs is better? Also, there was an element of singer love you have with M, you can't get that with these tribute bands they never look like M and can't sing like him

I think they actually show how important M is, the backing music is good. Its well copied by these bands but the M part isn't. I just watched the Smyths and the music is good but the M person looked nothing like him, he seems like a ginger minge to me. He kinda looked like Lofty from Eastenders
He seems a nice guy though and I honestly wish them well, if they enjoy what they do and make bank, good luck to em.
I have to say the singer from Via Morrissey is the most pathetic person, you could ever meet, which I have a few times. He looks like a $1 store Spandau Ballet tribute
A load of people asked Ally M from Brighton to be in Smiths/M tribute bands and a manager of quite a big band asked to manage him. He said no. Now I admit he is the image of M, and does give off the M "vibe" but he would never have been able to do the voice, no chance.

Again, it shows just how special M is.A true great.
I think he seems a bit lost these days. Directionless I wouldn't;t be surprised if he deeply regrets not getting back with Johnny when he had the chance. Don't get me wrong, I like the music M has put out since 2008. it just seems he has suddenly realised just how great Smiths were again. Most artists just look forward and try not to hang around in past glories but I think M has been reflecting a lot, and probably thinking "How the feck did it come to this?"
To me, it seems things started to really fecking hit the fan around 2008, maybe none of that would ever have happened if he had joined up with Johnny.
He would have moved from his "Quarry " come back, done Ringleaders .. Then could have got back with Johnny and done something special and made millions. Released his autobiography.
He would have been in a different position
Instead, he hangs out with Jesse and gets KY on board. and although the records were good, to some of us anyway. you always thought, he could do better and critically, he really took a tumble.

I just wonder if any of this is running through his noggin.
“Most artists just look forward and try not to hang around in past”.

Come on, think about it. It’s harder to name an A-list artist who hasn’t looked back. And of those who refuse, it’s because they embraced transience itself from the get go (eg Mark E Smith)—precisely because it’s a novelty.

The cynic in me wonders whether it's an attempt to get Divergent Promotions on side.

Tribute bands are the past, present and future. Read it and weep bald boys
Interesting. It makes me think of AI. Supposed to be the bee's knees; even better: Godlike, a million times greater than mere humans. Yet on the QT, completely dependent for original content, and for function, on the creative labor of regular old human beings. We're camels queuing at the eyes of needles we made ourselves. Ridiculous. doh:;)

I read this post as ruminating on the idea that over the past 40 years, this band and this man saved our lives. In all sorts of ways. And now he can't get a record deal.

I read this post as ruminating on the idea that over the past 40 years, this band and this man saved our lives. In all sorts of ways. And now he can't get a record deal.

Perhaps the post is also signaling approval for tribute bands, which honour the original, and at this time, in particular, for The Smyths.

Colin Brown's latest episode (17 March) of his delectable podcast, Mozzcast, The Podcaster's Ritual, features an interview in the last five minutes with fans in Australia who just attended a show by The Smyths tribute band -

Podcast has hit its stride, and sound quality is fine now. Satisfying listen. Maybe the Central post is Morrissey tipping his hat to sympathetic grounded Colin, and also that band?

Back
Top Bottom