Varying degrees of sleeve quality

What does the booklet say besides lyrics that the standard doesn't? Any additional photos?

No photos in the booklet.
Lyrics of the 12 Songs and some credits.

Funny: The booklet is with clone stamp, but the CD-Cover is without clone stamp.

Funny: The booklet is with clone stamp, but the CD-Cover is without clone stamp.

I wondered about this... They've got some seriously scatterbrained, inexperienced, or just plain overworked person in the design dept. at Harvest, apparently.
I saw the edge of those white pages in the booklet and had to wonder if they had anything printed on them at all.

Design-wise, this whole thing seems really amateurish. I realize this has no bearing on the music itself, but since we're discussing the artwork in particular, man... what a mess!

PS: I wonder if maybe they already sent the clonestamp art to manufacturers before it was fixed. Perhaps the mixed images and sparse design were the result of Harvest attempting to scramble to correct the image, at least for the front cover.

Last edited:
No photos in the booklet.
Lyrics of the 12 Songs and some credits.

Any dedication?

I prefer the casual clothes too, much better than those awful suits he used to wear.

I should've posted this here -

The CD book says Layout by 344 Design. I did a search and this guy came up. It could be him I guess but the World Peace album doesn't resemble much of what he has done in the past. I could be wrong. He doesn't have World Peace up on his site so he's either by coincidence a graphic designer with the same label as the credited designer on the album or he's not too proud of it.

http://www.344lovesyou.com/

He doesn't have World Peace up on his site so he's either by coincidence a graphic designer with the same label as the credited designer on the album or he's not too proud of it.

It's the same person, his name is in the booklet credits. I can't blame him for this, though. Anything can happen between the when a designer submits their initial comps and what winds up on the finished product—there are so many hands in the pot, and the original vision is often scrapped in favor of the whims of a dozen other people on the marketing side of things. I'm guessing this is all the result of too any people making too many requests, combined with a very small production budget.

I wondered about this... They've got some seriously scatterbrained, inexperienced, or just plain overworked person in the design dept. at Harvest, apparently.
I saw the edge of those white pages in the booklet and had to wonder if they had anything printed on them at all.

Design-wise, this whole thing seems really amateurish. I realize this has no bearing on the music itself, but since we're discussing the artwork in particular, man... what a mess!

PS: I wonder if maybe they already sent the clonestamp art to manufacturers before it was fixed. Perhaps the mixed images and sparse design were the result of Harvest attempting to scramble to correct the image, at least for the front cover.

As I said yesterday , quality on pretty much everything is going down and down again. How do I miss those "Made in Great Britain" written on the actual discs and you could find more info on them that you could actually read.....oh well.

Cheers Moz

It's the same person, his name is in the booklet credits. I can't blame him for this, though. Anything can happen between the when a designer submits their initial comps and what winds up on the finished product—there are so many hands in the pot, and the original vision is often scrapped in favor of the whims of a dozen other people on the marketing side of things. I'm guessing this is all the result of too any people making too many requests, combined with a very small production budget.

I'm only to familiar with the chain of command in the professional design and entertainment industry. Having just finished animating a TVC, but fortunately this time I got most of what I wanted. I would've loved to have seen the prototypes before the finished product for this album.

I would've loved to have seen the prototypes before the finished product for this album.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be online anymore, but when the Maladjusted reissue came out with its absolutely atrocious typography, the designer posted this on his personal website:

"The Maladjusted reissue was originally designed with black and metallic gold duotones to match the Sony Music reissue of Southpaw Grammar (as can be seen here) but Universal’s budget for this struck out any likelihood of luxury so the choices were a potentially muddy, simulated gold photograph or to run the photograph as is with the type slathered over the top instead of being knocked out of the “gold”. The boss chose the latter to my disappointment."

This was the cover the designer had submitted, which is far superior to what wound up ultimately being printed:

morrissey-maladjusted-05.jpg

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be online anymore, but when the Maladjusted reissue came out with its absolutely atrocious typography, the designer posted this on his personal website:

"The Maladjusted reissue was originally designed with black and metallic gold duotones to match the Sony Music reissue of Southpaw Grammar (as can be seen here) but Universal’s budget for this struck out any likelihood of luxury so the choices were a potentially muddy, simulated gold photograph or to run the photograph as is with the type slathered over the top instead of being knocked out of the “gold”. The boss chose the latter to my disappointment."

This was the cover the designer had submitted, which is far superior to what wound up ultimately being printed:

View attachment 32203

Thanks for sharing this. It's going right on my iTunes playlist now! If you wanted to make a thread showing it I'm sure many here would be interested. Or they may ignore it. You never can tell here. Your choice of course.

Last edited:
My scanner still isn't working perfectly (no idea where those scan lines came from) but I assure you this is as rich as the colour looks on my CD cover in real life. Peach sorbet coloured writing and check out the framing of the image. The typeface is almost touching the top edge. I know CD sleeves a re wider than vinyl but come on for god's sake!

[URL=http://s1048.photobucket.com/user/cinemarr1/media/moz_WPINOYB_zps8257f04d.jpeg.html][/URL]

Now look how the advertised online sleeve is coloured and framed.

[URL=http://s1048.photobucket.com/user/cinemarr1/media/81xIRZNu0gL_SL1500__zps8e760fa1.jpg.html][/URL]

My scanner still isn't working perfectly (no idea where those scan lines came from) but I assure you this is as rich as the colour looks on my CD cover in real life. Peach sorbet coloured writing and check out the framing of the image. The typeface is almost touching the top edge. I know CD sleeves a re wider than vinyl but come on for god's sake!

[URL=http://s1048.photobucket.com/user/cinemarr1/media/moz_WPINOYB_zps8257f04d.jpeg.html][/URL]

Is that a second clonestamped brick on the far left there of the cover? Oh noes.

No issues with the EU release, print quality is nice and sharp.

No issues with the EU release, print quality is nice and sharp.

Okay thanks for the comparison. I have a standard CD coming in the mail with the ultimate bundle anyway but the Australian package is utter shite... Is it cropped the same way?

I seem to have acquired the 'no frills' version, but I don't care. Because the album is great!
Truly, truly disappointed with it in the design department, but I understand that the designer has to negotiate with the artist/label/marketing team when it comes to the final design. Which is unfortunate in this case.

View attachment 32230

But your at least looks orange. Mine is peach sorbet! Thanks for posting Shazzer :)

btw do you play guitar?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom