Morrissey has compiled the track-listing and chosen the sleeve for "Best of the Ramones" - TTY

Re: Morrissey digs Ramones! ~ tty

Morrissey has been more than clear regarding his feelings about the Ramones post-1976. Is it really THAT shocking and distressing that he momentarily didn't like a band when he was 17, then came to love them three days later? It's now 38 years later—maybe it's time to let go.

Billboard: A music blog recently uncovered an article you wrote in 1976 with the headline 'Ramones Are Rubbish.' Do you still believe the Ramones should have been "rightly filed and forgotten?"

Morrissey: "I came clean about this many years ago. When I bought the Ramones first album on import, I was enraged with jealousy because I felt they had booted the Dolls off the map. I was 100% wrong. Three days after writing that Ramones piece, I realized that my love for the Ramones would out-live time itself. And it shall. Well, it virtually has already. If the Ramones were alive today, they'd be the biggest band in the world. It takes the world 30 years to catch on, doesn't it? I mean, look at poor Nico. Every modern teenager now seems to love Nico, yet while she was alive she couldn't afford a decent mattress."

http://www.billboard.com/articles/n...amones-and-living-in-the-shadow-of-the-smiths

I'm amazed that people will hold him to an opinion he had almost 40 years ago.

Morrissey has been more than clear regarding his feelings about the Ramones post-1976. Is it really THAT shocking and distressing that he momentarily didn't like a band when he was 17, then came to love them three days later? It's now 38 years later—maybe it's time to let go.

Billboard: A music blog recently uncovered an article you wrote in 1976 with the headline 'Ramones Are Rubbish.' Do you still believe the Ramones should have been "rightly filed and forgotten?"

Morrissey: "I came clean about this many years ago. When I bought the Ramones first album on import, I was enraged with jealousy because I felt they had booted the Dolls off the map. I was 100% wrong. Three days after writing that Ramones piece, I realized that my love for the Ramones would out-live time itself. And it shall. Well, it virtually has already. If the Ramones were alive today, they'd be the biggest band in the world. It takes the world 30 years to catch on, doesn't it? I mean, look at poor Nico. Every modern teenager now seems to love Nico, yet while she was alive she couldn't afford a decent mattress."

http://www.billboard.com/articles/n...amones-and-living-in-the-shadow-of-the-smiths

He realised he was wrong when he realised the cool kids had voted the other way. Just like with Nirvana, Jeff Buckley and lots of other stuff. It took him 3 day, but the world 30 years. So what? He's a pseud. Why would he have brought the first Ramones album 'on import' if he'd heard them and thought they were "rubbish"? Other than to ponce about with it under his arm trying to impress the Alpha Male taste-makers? He's spent his entire adult life desperately trying to impress the cool kids who LOL'd at him in the playground. We're still not impressed. And never will be. Insincerity & show-boating one's assumed 'taste' is a one-way ticket to ridicule.

"Three days after writing that Ramones piece, I realized that my love for the Ramones would out-live time itself."

What an eejit. Nobody holds him to his opinions, they just laugh at the conceit of his brazen snobbery fest. He's entitled to his opinion as, like arseholes, everybody's got one. The sad spectacle of young Morrissey trying to assert one-upmanship via his LP/45rpm/VHS collection was just the equivalent of every teenage tosser with a blog and a Spotify playlist these days. Most of them will grow up and realise that it's all a matter of personal predilection. There's absolutely no basis for anybody to accept that cultural magpie Morrissey is either a taste-maker or a gate-keeper of what's credible or artistically valid. His vapid whinging for commercial and media acceptance whilst simultaneously ferreting out ludicrous obscurities shows only that he's a daft train-spotter, not a sophisticate. He deserves the life he's created and he deserves his crackpot 'fans'. A perfect marriage!

Briefly, it looked as if Morrissey had left his navel-gazing behind him to engage with substantive world issues but appropriating the Ramones for his personal iconography is just another example of his insecurities. He's finally dropped his nonsense about the Rolling Stones, yet still expects to be taken seriously as an arbiter of talent. How ridiculous! He was wrong about them, wrong about loads of other artists. And most certainly he's wrong in the head if he thinks he's anything more than a C-list ex-celeb. He's a great singer & lyricist, but so are lots of others. What's original about Morrissey other than his preposterous claims to originality & 'genius'? Nothing whatsoever. He's hardly Nick Drake or Jeff Buckley, is he? Or Joni...FFS...let the Ramones sleep in peace without this ghoul grave-robbing their legacy.

best wishes
"BrummieBoy"
[Worlds Biggest Ramones Fan From Day 1]

Yes, people change their opinions all the time. :thumb:

Re: Article: Morrissey has compiled the track-listing and chosen the sleeve for "Best of the Ramones

Intriguing.

(They pictured my favorite Ramones album Rocket To Russia :))

Re: Article: Morrissey has compiled the track-listing and chosen the sleeve for "Best of the Ramones

film could be good but theres already so much ramones stuff out there, theyre like the kiss of punk rock, that i just cant get excited by anything else. maybe the book if written well but thats about it cause i already know most of the content

And is it true that the Ramones have sold more T-shirts than records?

That wouldn't surprise me at all. I suspect the same goes for the Misfits and Joy Division.

and CBGB

edit: I just realized this makes no sense, unless you replace "more t-shirts than record sales" with "more t-shirts than people that attended a show at CBGB"

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom