08 Album Thought

Ethan Poe

Granted the shift Morrissey has had in his supporting band and Jesse Tobias really moving to the front of Morrissey tune writing who do you all think will be dominant in turn of music writing on the 08 album?

I hope Alain made a stash of great demoos

Tobias didn't satisfy me till now and what he did on ROTT, Boz's songs are Ok, but it's like he's over
the hill and spillled all what he got and now only can write ..let's say..
average/mediocre songs, but deeply inside I hope he proves that I'm wrong

so basicly I'm putting me money on Alain

well I'm cheating, Alain always was me favourite Lad since I saw
Morrissey live with the Lads in 1991

My thought is 50% Alain, 40% Tobias, and 10% Boz (possibly a smaller cut for Boz if Mike Farrell provides material). It makes sense that Jesse and Boz seem to be overriding Alain at this stage, since he's not in a position to rehearse with them. Think of the end of the YATQ tour: I'm Playing Easy To Get, Noise is the Best Revenge, and (on singles) The Public Image were all Boz's songs. (Slum Mums was co-written with Boz and Gaz.) Then, Alain wrote half of ROTT, seemingly against the odds.

My biases re: Alain have been well-known here, but, semi-objectively, I hope this ratio is the minimal amount as most of Tobias's material is incredibly ephemeral and samey to my ears. Given what we've heard thus far, Morrissey appears to be relying on Jesse for the singles, so I get the sense that Alain will provide deep album cuts that provide the affair with the needed gravitas. Boz is all over the map historically--it's hard to say what he will turn up with.

Cheers,
Jamie

Alain is a brilliant songwriter and he did some of his best stuff ever on ROTT, so if he isn't used to the maximum it will be a tragedy.

Alain recorded some stuff with Morrissey earlier this year in California so I have no doubt he will be on the next record.

I like some of Jesse's stuff and not wowed by some of it. I'm willing to hear another go around with the divided sources.

I think Alain's songs will be dominant on the next album. I like some of the songs Jesse Tobias is contributing. They give Morrissey an edgier sound. That's How People Grow Up; You Have Killed Me; I Just Want To See The Boy Happy.
I hope Michael Farrell will have a go as well.

Is there no love for Boz? Things go in cycles. Don't count him out.

I think Alain's songs will be dominant on the next album. I like some of the songs Jesse Tobias is contributing. They give Morrissey an edgier sound. That's How People Grow Up; You Have Killed Me; I Just Want To See The Boy Happy.
I hope Michael Farrell will have a go as well.

Actually, Boz co-wrote That's How People Grow Up.

Cheers,
Jamie

I don't care who writes the songs as long as they're good.

How can I forget to write "don't"?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom