You are the Lifeguard...And you are wide awake

S

Sarah

There's a large pool;on one end a complete and total stranger is drowning, on the other end an animal is drowning (this is your favorite pet..if you have one, imagine it was him/her, fish are exempt..if you don't imagine it was an animal that you love dearly, perhaps you've had him/her for years..yada yada yada) You can only save one...no exceptions...TIME only permits you to save ONE life. ::one or the other is going to die...your dog, cat, cow etc. can't swim & the human can't reach the edge.blah blah blah..usual exeptions:: well, you get it. right?

~Which one would YOU save?

Easy...

Let the animal drown, save the stranger, than you can eat the animal together afterwards as a reward =)
EA¿ There's a large pool;on one end a complete and total stranger is¿ drowning, on the other end an animal is drowning (this is your¿ favorite pet..if you have one, imagine it was him/her, fish are¿ exempt..if you don't imagine it was an animal that you love¿ dearly, perhaps you've had him/her for years..yada yada yada)¿ You can only save one...no exceptions...TIME only permits you to¿ save ONE life. ::one or the other is going to die...your dog,¿ cat, cow etc. can't swim & the human can't reach the¿ edge.blah blah blah..usual exeptions:: well, you get it. right?¿ ~Which one would YOU save?

¿ ~Which one would YOU save?

Well, it depends on who the total stranger is. What if the drowning stranger was Slobdan Milosovec? This sounds cruel, but i'd sooner save my doggie than him. At least my dog brings joy and happiness into the lives of other people. What has a man like Milosovec brought? War, suffering, persecution, misery.....you get the idea.

So, which one would YOU save?? A man who, if allowed to live, would be responsible for the mass murder of thousands, or an "unimportant" family pet, who wouldn't harm anyone (except to defend their owners, of course??)? I don't know about you, but i'd feel worse if i allowed someone like that to live.

¿ ~Which one would YOU save?

You haven't taken the scenario fully into consideration. Say you decide to save the stranger. You swim over, grab the victim around the ribcage, and try to swim her to safety. You get to the edge of the pool and the woman accuses you of trying to cop a feel. You argue back that you're a woman and she accuses you of being a lesbian trying to cop a feel. Your friends all take your side, but secretly they're wondering if you really are a lesbian who likes to take advantage of drowning strangers. If you are a man, your friends don't have to wonder, they already know. You develop a cramp in your leg, a hysterical reaction to being told repeatedly from the time you were four that swimming right after you eat will cause you to get cramps. Your friends talk about you behind your back, you lose your job because the woman has slandered you, and you go home to bury your favorite pet before hanging yourself from the pecan tree in your backyard.
If the victim was a man, you'd pull him to safety, only to find that in your urgency to save this person's life, you've cracked his ribs. He sues you for an exhorbitant amount of money, so that Judge Joe Brown rules that your house will be put up for sale so that you can pay the damages. You cannot afford to bury your dead pet, and you can no longer sleep at night because the animal's dying shrieks still haunt you. Luckily, you are put out of your misery when you choke to death on a banana sandwich while laying suppine on Wilshire Blvd. in the cardboard box you now call home.

Say you choose to save your pet. You swim over to the poor panicked animal and in its desperation to save its own life, it claws your throat out and its own in the process. If your pet was a snake, you would let it die because snakes should never be thrown into water. At any rate, you, your pet, and the stranger would die, and there's nothing wrong with that because everyone would die eventually anyway. Maybe people would say you were noble, but most likely they would shut down the local public pool for the rest of the season, and all the neighborhood children would hate your guts and throw dog@#!!! at your grave marker.

My advice would be to simply leave the scene of a drowning-in-process as quickly as you possibly can. Go and have a root beer float and think how lucky it is that it isn't you in there drowning. You can always go out and buy a new pet, and you already have plenty of friends, so you'll lose nothing by a stranger's passing away. The only time to ignore this advice is if the drowning stranger is someone who's rich and/or famous, or if you are rich and/or famous and wish to generate good publicity by trying to save your pet. (If you are blonde, you can simply tell reporters that you did not notice the drowning stranger; if you are not blonde--bleach is pretty cheap. Buy some and use it. Unless you are olive complected, because that always looks strange. Some lightskinned African Americans can look quite fetching, however, with bleached blonde hair.)

> There's a large pool;on one end a complete and total stranger is¿ drowning, on the other end an animal is drowning (this is your¿ favorite pet..if you have one, imagine it was him/her, fish are¿ exempt..if you don't imagine it was an animal that you love¿ dearly, perhaps you've had him/her for years..yada yada yada)¿ You can only save one...no exceptions...TIME only permits you to¿ save ONE life. ::one or the other is going to die...your dog,¿ cat, cow etc. can't swim & the human can't reach the¿ edge.blah blah blah..usual exeptions:: well, you get it. right?¿ ~Which one would YOU save?

This is a question many people have asked me before and the only answer I can give them is the same answer I will give you. Well, actually it is a question. What would you do if you where in this situation yourself, but instead of an animal and a human there are a man and a woman drowning? Would you save the man or the woman?

so many illustrations

Re: I must say...

Dear man: that is a powerful question. I'd certainly save the hermaphrodite drowing in the center of the pool.

subwayfarer

I was a lifegaurd...humans have more time

You get the animal...(If it is tiny, you save it..if it is a bison you say "FuQ it")...Then you do CPR on the human...Youve got like 20 minutes before their brain fully becomes mush anyway

Re: BRAAAAAVOOOO!!!!!!LMAO!!!

> I only wish I wrote that!

My dear, you are the only one.

depends, I guess my favorite pet is my cat "spike", I couldn't even think of letting him die, so my answers easy.
-jake

> There's a large pool;on one end a complete and total stranger is¿ drowning, on the other end an animal is drowning (this is your¿ favorite pet..if you have one, imagine it was him/her, fish are

That is so easy, my pet of course. How could one let a pet they love and are attached to drown and save a human they don't even know?

Not an answer, but the fact is......

IF YOU CAN'T SAVE BOTH, YOU MUST BE A @#!!!TY LIFEGUARD!!

Personally, I'd just call David Hassellhoff to rescue them because I can't swim, and I'll be the THIRD variable in this scenario.

Besides, I live in the city, so how the hell did my dog get in the water? What moron brings their dog to a public pool?

this is an ethic mistake.

it's an ethics problem: you can't ask a real question about a hypothetic problem.

this is an ethic mistake.

nobody knows what they will really do in this critic moment.

so you don't have to answer this question.¿ There's a large pool;on one end a complete and total stranger is¿ drowning, on the other end an animal is drowning (this is your¿ favorite pet..if you have one, imagine it was him/her, fish are¿ exempt..if you don't imagine it was an animal that you love¿ dearly, perhaps you've had him/her for years..yada yada yada)¿ You can only save one...no exceptions...TIME only permits you to¿ save ONE life. ::one or the other is going to die...your dog,¿ cat, cow etc. can't swim & the human can't reach the¿ edge.blah blah blah..usual exeptions:: well, you get it. right?¿ ~Which one would YOU save?

Re: this is an ethic mistake.

> it's an ethics problem: you can't ask a real question about a¿ hypothetic problem.¿ this is an ethic mistake.¿ nobody knows what they will really do in this critic moment.¿ so you don't have to answer this question.

Fabricio, I love you. And secretly, I always have. But when you think about it, you don't have to answer *any* question that any whacked out penis puller on this board asks. Pressure's off. All may resume their porridge-eating.

Re: this is an ethic mistake.

> Fabricio, I love you. And secretly, I always have.

i love you too!!!¿ But when you¿ think about it, you don't have to answer *any* question that any¿ whacked out penis puller on this board asks. Pressure's off. All¿ may resume their porridge-eating.

oh, i saw i priest talking about this ethic problem some weeks ago and i think it was great. this way of seeing thinks helped me in some similar questions i had.

so i wanted to share what i learnt.

love,
bício

> That is so easy, my pet of course. How could one let a pet they¿ love and are attached to drown and save a human they don't even¿ know?

In absolute earnest, I would save my pet. I care far more about my cat than some stranger. These "lifeboat ethics" questions usually don't establish much, though, and they tend to miss the point about the nature of ethics. It does indeed raise the same question about whether one would save a woman or a man or a black man or a white man and so on. The question is whether one thinks that non-human animals (humans are animals, by the way) have some lesser value than humans simply. I most emphatically believe that they do not.

> spinny..its a total strnger..you don't know anything about them

Well, to me, Milosovec would be a total stranger...we've never been formally introduced and really know nothing of each other. Well, i know a lot about him- the more reason to let him drown.
But, if it were a person whom i knew nothing about, yes, i'd save him/her. Truthfully, i'd wonder if i did the right thing, as humans have the high potential for evil. It's funny, although i don't like many people, i'm the type of person who would bend over backwards to help someone.

But ANYWAY....just thought everyone would be interested in knowing this....most animals are born knowing how to swim!!! So, there's the end of that hypothetical arguement!!!! Hahahahahah!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom