"World Peace..." enters US Billboard Album Chart at #14 (updated)

Re: US Billboard Chart. Weird Al takes #1 - "World Peace in at 18 to 20

You realise how difficult it must be to make money in the music business now on album sales alone, when Morrissey sells such a relatively small amount and given how great the album is and all the great reviews.
If you want to survive you have to tour.

Relevance? That's quite a bean-counter view of music, I must say.
How was Vauxhall & I relevant? How was Strangeways Here We Come relevant?
They're just collections of songs that either appeal(ed) to people or they don't/didn't.
What a depressing view of art or culture that sees only the 'relevant' as valid, when surely art should by its very definition be irrelevant.

it wont make you much money. france knows this

The charts were a lot more relevant when Vauxhall was released. So comparing the two albums is out of the question.

That's true across the board, though, not just for Morrissey. Albums on the whole sell in far fewer numbers than they did 20 years ago. I have never thought charts were any sort of indicator of an artist's merit, though, which is why I asked whether you believe that the highest charting US albums represent the very best music one could hope to listen to 2014.

That's true across the board, though, not just for Morrissey. Albums on the whole sell in far fewer numbers than they did 20 years ago. I have never thought charts were any sort of indicator of an artist's merit, though, which is why I asked whether you believe that the highest charting US albums represent the very best music one could hope to listen to 2014.

Yes, charts do represent decent music. It may not be music you like, but it is popular and quite good.

Your question is rather arrogant though, 'cause what you really mean is: the stupid masses buy whatever Big Music Cooperations tell them to buy. But Morrissey is only for those intellectual few with good taste. So charts don't really matter.

Vauxhall sold well, Maladjusted didn't. Neither did Years of Reluctance. The charts reflected the quality of the music quite good, didn't they?

well i think its a bit of both. sales do matter to an atrists growth and joy, they are trying to communicate to someone hopefully many people i imagine and in order to do that they have to know what people can handle. in order to know if they are heard sales figures and reviews do sorta matter. i dont think morrissey is making art for arts sake or for purely his own joy. he clearly wants to communicate to the masses in some way and to know that they love him and what he has to say to them and about them. or at least that they heard him at all. grahm parsons was the same way. he was out there purely for art and to be something pure. when he had the motor cycle crash and thought he was gonna die he told the person comforting him something ironic and smiled saying that he was finally a poet. he quit the birds cause he didnt want to wake up and go on tour and didnt need there money as he already had a family fortune. when he had off nights from his celebrated tour he would go play open mic nights at honky tonk bars because thats who he wanted validation from, the common man listening to the jukebox and whatever was number one. when he saw that he finally had a track in one of those places he was super happy. that was a magical man in my opinion and them stealing his body from the morgue and burning it like they promised was genuinely a joyous moment to read about. a real life mythology. anyway my point being that parsons clearly cared about the charts not because he needed money or fame as he already had plenty of both. he wanted validation from the common man and the common man listened to the charts.

also if communication to the masses is the key to sending out your message then the charts for sure do represent success at that. usually most want the middle, to communicate there thoughts to the masses without having to cram them into a form that undermines said message which is hard to do and not an unworthy goal.

Yes, charts do represent decent music. It may not be music you like, but it is popular and quite good.

Your question is rather arrogant though, 'cause what you really mean is: the stupid masses buy whatever Big Music Cooperations tell them to buy. But Morrissey is only for those intellectual few with good taste. So charts don't really matter.

Vauxhall sold well, Maladjusted didn't. Neither did Years of Reluctance. The charts reflected the quality of the music quite good, didn't they?

Lol Eric, you're going for it tonight.

I'd say his sales are about right for a man of his age regardless of quality. I download the charts a fair bit for my kids and most of what fills it up sounds the same with identical fed through the machine voices, the odd stuff's alright but most of it's shite. It's a bit sad that we're all hanging on for a 50 odd year old to deliver something worthwhile, pop music needs young people that haven't had their creativity strangled out of them.

Lol Eric, you're going for it tonight.

I'd say his sales are about right for a man of his age regardless of quality. I download the charts a fair bit for my kids and most of what fills it up sounds the same with identical fed through the machine voices, the odd stuff's alright but most of it's shite. It's a bit sad that we're all hanging on for a 50 odd year old to deliver something worthwhile, pop music needs young people that haven't had their creativity strangled out of them.

His creativity hasn't been strangled out of him. Morrissey has simply changed. These days he acts like the royal family he so despises. He hires and fires at will, he's pompous and arrogant and he rules by decree via True To You dot Net. That's where it all went wrong. He just phoned this album in. And it shows. These days his Mozjesty thinks his shit is made of gold. Newsflash: it isn't. And the charts are proof of that.

Hahahaha. He nearly lost his number #2 position in the United Kingdom to Dolly f***ing Parton.

DOLLY f***ING PARTON!!!

His creativity hasn't been strangled out of him. Morrissey has simply changed. These days he acts like the royal family he so despises. He hires and fires at will, he's pompous and arrogant and he rules by decree via True To You dot Net. That's where it all went wrong. He just phoned this album in. And it shows. These days his Mozjesty thinks his shit is made of gold. Newsflash: it isn't. And the charts are proof of that.

Best comment ever!

Charts represent music that is basically promoted heavily by the record companies, but not all artists are in this category. There will always be diehard fans who anxiously wait for new releases from their favorite artists, but if they are more classic or older, then the number sold will not always be as big as a person/band more current and heavily promoted.

Good music is subjective, and we all know that one person's favorite is another person's least favorite.

With that said, WPINOYB is not very good if one compares the lyrics and music to Morrissey in his glory years. True, many diehard fans (I was one of you) claim otherwise; why, who knows? Many of us wanted this to be a return to his glory years, but we are more realistic and open--we do not blindly follow and praise everything that this man releases.

In closing, WPINOYB is not something I will even waste my money on--same with Refusal. If Morrissey would sit down and self reflect and realize how much of a bitter old man he has become, maybe, just maybe, he would be able to touch upon some past glory. This man has become a sorry Vegas sideshow in recent years--due to his insane ramblings, ridiculous outfits he would make his band wear, and of course, the songs.

The best thing he could do is get back to health and tour solely on Vauxhall or Viva or Arsenal--even Bona Drag.

to me he sounds very much his age with no time for comforting his message or being nice for the sake of being nice. like most 50 somethings hes very direct these days.

It's good to be back here. However, I do miss my old friend Sundown Playboy. Is he still around?

The charts were a lot more relevant when Vauxhall was released. So comparing the two albums is out of the question. How much albums did he sell in the Colonies? Hardly any. He's no longer relevant, except to us: the die hard fans on Morrissey So Low. Oh, the irony.

How much albums?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom