Will Morrissey mention Cohen...

The Seeker of Good Songs

...at the Reno show?

in his very existence he mentions those he has loved and loves... it's all there... in the words,the songs,the voice.

in his very existence he mentions those he has loved and loves... it's all there... in the words,the songs,the voice.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall Morrissey ever mentioning Cohen when he was alive, so why should he bother now? He doesn't appear to be a fan in the first place.

Yeah I've never heard of morrissey being a fan so it'd seem weird. It's not like he's gotta mention every person who dies

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall Morrissey ever mentioning Cohen when he was alive, so why should he bother now? He doesn't appear to be a fan in the first place.

he once mentioned Syd Barrett during a show when Syd passed away. Didn't know he was a fan. I think M's range of influences is far greater than he lets on. I don't have my copy here... But I remember M listed Cohen in a list of people(that inspired him, Jobriath was also in that list) in his 2nd book (was it ever officially released? ) Exit Smiling.

Morrissey knew well enough of him to borrow some lyrics:
The line "Everything depends upon how near you sleep to me" in his song "Take This Longing" might have inspired a similar one in the Smiths' "Hand In Glove". Buffy Sainte-Marie covered this song (under the alternate title "Bells") and it's probably her version that Morrissey is fond of. See Buffy Sainte-Marie.

The line "and everything depends upon how near you stand to me" in the Smiths' "Hand In Glove" was very likely inspired the line "and everything depends upon how near you sleep to me" from her song "Bells" (written by Leonard Cohen).

from: http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/influence-music.htm

If he does, he does. If he doesn't, he doesn't. Why should it be demanded or expected of him?

If he does, he does. If he doesn't, he doesn't. Why should it be demanded or expected of him?

Because it can be demanded and expected of him from Moz-fans who like Leonard Cohen.
It's strange but if you have favourite singers, artists, writers, there seems to be a need, a feeling those should like and appreciate each other too.
Would it give people a reassurement for liking them to be like that?
A sort of aprovement of their own taste?
And he did make statements about others who left this unhappy planet!

My creation of this thread had nothing to do with demands or expectations. It was made as a thought because he obviously knew of the man and was influenced by him.

Because it can be demanded and expected of him from Moz-fans who like Leonard Cohen.
It's strange but if you have favourite singers, artists, writers, there seems to be a need, a feeling those should like and appreciate each other too.

...Well, that's just selfishness. Why should he give them that? What have they given to him? Look at this site. 50% of the posters here are haters. It's not his job to console Cohen's grieving fans. It's everyone's own responsibility to deal with their own emotions.
If he decides to acknowledge someone's passing, that's ok. It's also ok if he doesn't. People simply should not rely on other people to make them feel better. You are responsible for your own happiness or misery.

Somebody said...

Don't forget we still haven't had a statement on the passing of Paul Daniels. Your fanbase is waiting Morrissey....

...Well, that's just selfishness. Why should he give them that? What have they given to him? Look at this site. 50% of the posters here are haters. It's not his job to console Cohen's grieving fans. It's everyone's own responsibility to deal with their own emotions.
If he decides to acknowledge someone's passing, that's ok. It's also ok if he doesn't. People simply should not rely on other people to make them feel better. You are responsible for your own happiness or misery.

Of course you are right.
I agree.
I was just speculating about motives of fans, including my own.
He can say anything he wants or be silent about anything he wants.
I wouldn't be dissapointed.
Mind you, of course I can be selfish too.
Sometimes it can be a good thing someone reminding you!
Cheers :thumb:

Cozbots?

Back
Top Bottom