When do you think Bowie lost it?

1983!!!!!

When he produced that crappy Let's Dance album...

> I'd say the end of Ziggy was the end of Bowie.

Diamond Dogs in '74 was his peak

Low

I can't believe no-one is acknowledging Low in 77. It's a fantastic album and definitely one of his best. And there's been very little wrong with his last two efforts, Heathen and Reality. Especially Heathen in my eyes.

re

Yeah, I agree with the other dude. He got good again in the 1990s.

Let's dance is my favourite album - he lost it at tonight, but picked it up again with Black Tie, White Noise and Hours

When I started this thread months ago I hadn't yet fully explored every area of Bowie's career. Now that I have, I realise the question is as defunct as modern day Bowie as he lost it and regained it again numerous times. Pin Ups was pointless, Diamond Dogs was histrionic waffle. He then made something worthwhile with Young Americans and then came the amazing Station To Station. His career's like a bloody rollercoaster (but one I love going on).

after

Bowie opened the "Concert for New York City" at Madison Square Garden on 20 October 2001, to aid 9/11 victims' families. He performed two carefully chosen songs, "America" and "Heroes", striking a deep emotional chord in the audience of firefighters, police, other rescue workers, and bereaved families.

Tin Machine is the undiscussable!

Consistent genius up to and including Scary Monsters.. and then it all went a bit punchdrunk. Bowie's 90s albums were great, but with Hours and Heathen it just sounded as though he was treading water, with no real inspiration coming from any direction.

I say it was over when he started dressing like the Thundercats.

Tin Machine is SUPERB, I will spank anyone who thinks is a rubbish cause they dont have heard it. Tin Machine II is of course another story. Bowie sounds lost only in 4 albums. Tonight, Never Let Me Down, Tin Machine II and Hours. End of story, you trolls.

dazzak said:
I'd say the end of Ziggy was the end of Bowie.

Well I don't think he has, "Everyone says Hi" was better than a lot of his 1970's work imo. Little wonder was also a fine track. I think it's a case of rose tinted specatacles with some people to be honest. Artists move on...some fans don't.

Jon said:
Well I don't think he has, "Everyone says Hi" was better than a lot of his 1970's work imo. Little wonder was also a fine track. I think it's a case of rose tinted specatacles with some people to be honest. Artists move on...some fans don't.
If you'd noticed, I retracted this statement and expanded my estimation of when Bowie lost it (certainly the 80s).

And, by the way, Heathen and Everyone Says Hi are really boring.

when he toured with Nine Inch Nails

I think he lost it about seven minutes into his album "Tonight".

"Loving the Alien" is a great song, but the rest of that album is so bad it makes me weep.

Although "Blue Jean" is not bad.

Back
Top Bottom