What exactly has Moz done to upset Mr Weller

Due to the appaling slagging Mr Weller is recieving on this thread I feel it necessary to try and defend the man.

For a start I will say that both Artists' sets at V blew me away, utterly fabulous.

Secondly, Weller may have a sometimes well founded reputation for being mardy and unforgiving but Morrissey (and I prefer his full title to 'Moz' etc.) is not exactly complimentary about other bands or artists and also has flaws. It's half of what makes them who they are. I'm not meaning to compare here but i'm merely pointing a few things out.

Lastly, I think they should both be judged on their music above all else. It's true that none of Weller's stuff comes anywhere near what he did in The Jam in terms of quality but neither, IMHO, is Morrissey's solo stuff, as fantastic as a lot of it is, as good as what The Smith's churned out, although I would say that overall Morrissey's solo stuff is better (if indeed one can make such a comparison). Anyone who's read enough about Paul Weller will know that his tastes changed, mainly due to age and he wanted to go in a different direction and I don't think you can blame him for wanting to do that particularly. The fact that he has started playing 'Jam songs' again at his gigs I think shows that he acknowledges how good they were, (I would still put 'All Mod Cons# and 'Sound Affects' up there with the very best) and how important they were, both to british music and to people. I also happen to believe that the fact that both men have been by far the most subsequently succesful after the break up of their respective groups says something (before anyone starts this is NOT a slight against Johnny Marr). All in all I would say that Morrissey levitates slightly further off the ground than Weller does.

You're all entitled to your opinion but I just felt the need to defend another artist I like and respect.

FTR, it seemed to me as though Paul was slagging off Fatboy Slim and not The Mozfather (see what I did there!?:) ).

As much as I love The Jam I find Weller mediocre and largely irrelevant as a solo artist. Let's face it he's a bit of a mouthy dick. He looks ridiculous trying to look cool with his highlights and bling. Didn't he recently say something like "f*** off, I'm not doing f***ing requests" to his fans? Class!
Morrissey has the insight, awareness and confidence to be himself. Maybe that's that's Weller's gripe with him. Weller knows he has become a secondhand fool and a pin up for grandads. I don't say this just because of his bitching about Morrissey. I've thought Weller sad for many years. The Style Council were themselves. Weller is actualising an image.

gaylord said:
Spot the diffeerence!

View attachment 611

Ahahahahahahaha :D

Weller's solo stuff is awwwful. He's just got a mortgage to pay and so will bring out rubbish records as long as Virgin radio-listening idiots buy them. Nowhere near Morrissey's league.

Back
Top Bottom