What does Morrissey think of Radiohead?

MozIsGod

Has Morrissey ever commented on Radiohead? I know Thom Yorke is supposed to be a Moz fan, and I know they covered The Headmaster Ritual recently.

I hear lots of talk from fans wishing a Morrissey/Greenwood collaboration at some point, but I don't think Morrissey is willing to abort the usual pop/rock formula.

From an interview in 2003:

'In the driveway he asked a favour. He wanted to modify a few of the things he said. "Please don't have me say anything unpleasant about Coldplay and Radiohead," he said. "There's no point to it, it just looks silly and mean. They're perfectly good bands, they're just not to my taste." 'You called them Oldplay and Radiodead'. "I know. But I say a lot of things I don't mean." 'And that was something I'd never heard from Morrissey before'.

I remember when he emerged from exile circa Quarry, he explained his 7 year recording hiatus by giving examples of how he couldn't find favor with any labels, and vice versa, with the anecdote (paraphrase): "they (the record companies) would meet with me and say things like, 'we'll sign you, but we want you to do a single with Radiohead' at which point I would get up, walk out, and leave them sitting there..."

I can see him disliking both bands. I mean, Radiohead's OK, just not Moz's style, but Coldplay? About as boring and conformist as you can get.

Last edited:
Has Morrissey ever commented on Radiohead? I know Thom Yorke is supposed to be a Moz fan, and I know they covered The Headmaster Ritual recently.

I hear lots of talk from fans wishing a Morrissey/Greenwood collaboration at some point, but I don't think Morrissey is willing to abort the usual pop/rock formula.

He's definitely a fan, and he has gone on record saying the initial selling point for Ed O'Brien getting in the band was that he looked like Morrissey.

I remember when he emerged from exile circa Quarry, he explained his 7 year recording hiatus by giving examples of how he couldn't find favor with any labels, and vice versa, with the anecdote (paraphrase): "they (the record companies) would meet with me and say things like, 'we'll sign you, but we want you to do a single with Radiohead' at which point I would get up, walk out, and leave them sitting there..."

I can see him disliking both bands. I mean, Radiohead's OK, just not Moz's style, but Coldplay? About as boring and conformist as you can get.

Well Moz wouldn't do a single with ANYONE unless their father was the most legendary crooner or their name had a clever spin on a Native American tribe's name. It's not because its Radiohead.

Back
Top Bottom