The Very Best of Morrissey

not_me_not_I

What tracks do you think will be on it? Will it be a latter day Greatest Hits (as the last three albums are the pinnacles of his career, per him) with Camden, FOTGTD, Pigsty, SISMS, etc on it? Or will it be career spanning, giving us another chance to buy EDILS and Trouble Loves Me?

I'm going to say it. I'm not actually against this (if it's real, which it may not be as the same title was listed years ago). The last "greatest hits" was so poor that Morrissey needs something to bury it with. And it needs to span his entire career, something I'm worried this may not do as it's listed by EMI; and we need another compilation of songs from just the former part of his career as we do from the latter.

Someone pointed out that the last Greatest Hits was true to the title if one was judging solely by chart position obtained. Was it the songs or the packaging that you disliked?

Apologies; but this is too depressing to even think about, let alone discuss :o

I would love the idea of getting a very best of morrissey of B SIDES only. Like an expanded version of Swords which takes us back to his very beginning. Most of the times B Sides are truly great lost gems.
Cheers Moz

Apologies; but this is too depressing to even think about, let alone discuss :o

I feel the same. I really hope it's just one of those anomalies that seems to crop up on Amazon from time to time; it's only been three years since Greatest Hits, so if it is legit I'm starting to wonder whether EMI are pressuring him into doing all this re-release stuff.

I feel the same. I really hope it's just one of those anomalies that seems to crop up on Amazon from time to time; it's only been three years since Greatest Hits, so if it is legit I'm starting to wonder whether EMI are pressuring him into doing all this re-release stuff.

Or EMI are so pissed off that he banjaxed their 'Bona Drag Redux' promo campaign last year that they're going to release a cheap-shit-piece-of-crap-cash-in as revenge.
Wonder if Citigroup are big Moz fans? :rolleyes:

I would love the idea of getting a very best of morrissey of B SIDES only. Like an expanded version of Swords which takes us back to his very beginning. Most of the times B Sides are truly great lost gems.
Cheers Moz

I fancy a collection of all his b-sides on a triple cd. I keep meaning to create one myself but am far too lazy and it would save me the hassle. :D

It's all become quite indefensible.

Someone pointed out that the last Greatest Hits was true to the title if one was judging solely by chart position obtained. Was it the songs or the packaging that you disliked?

If that was the case, 'Interesting Drug' (top 10), 'November Spawned a Monster' and 'Alma Matters' (both top 20) would have all been on it, in place of a couple of the newer songs. You're right that most of them are truly his "greatest hits" though, but I feel that Morrissey was intentionally trying to make it appear that his newer albums are his "strongest" (as he so often puts it himself).

I think it should be all just love songs. :sweet: :p

Morrissey became an icon as Bowie did and it's natural that many "best of"s are released. Besides, Morrissey has no record label and he's not touring and as any one he needs money then the only way he has to do it is releasing a "best of" or a reissue of something. Before knowing exactly as the music industry works I reproved it but I am not able to do it now. Of course I'd rather a unreleased tracks' album or even an album with new stuff.

I think the strangest thing about all of this is that, if it's true, Morrissey (or the record label) has decided to use 'Glamorous Glue' as the single to promote this new compilation. It's a cracking song and everything, but it's not exactly something that's going to persuade people to rush out and buy the album (IMO, of course).

I think this is just being released to take the place of the recently deleted Suedehead compilation. Maybe just a more updated or diverse version of that.

I think this is just being released to take the place of the recently deleted Suedehead compilation. Maybe just a more updated or diverse version of that.

Yes, I think it's worth baring in mind that a "greatest hits" and "best of" are two completely different things. Although, 'Greatest Hits' was only really a partial greatest hits, and 'Suedehead: The Best of Morrissey' was more of a singles collection than anything else...

I'm happy about this release (though I'm inclined to believe that it's not really coming out) because I hope he'll get it right this time. I think he came very close with 'The Best of Morrissey', but that was a US only release, and there have been plenty of great new songs since then that a new "best of" is worthwhile.

Over all, I think that both "greatest hits" and "best of" compilations serve their purposes, but I strongly believe that Morrissey's music is far better represented with the latter of the two. His radio-friendly "hits" contain some of his worst, least representative, songs IMO.

Last edited:
glamorous glue
seasick yet still docked
sing your life
our frank
everyday is like sunday
suedehead
the more you ignore me...
why don't you find out for yourself
irish blood english heart
first of the gang to die
when last i spoke to carol
life is a pigsty
trouble loves me
southpaw
hairdresser on fire
the last of the famous...

Yes, I think it's worth baring in mind that a "greatest hits" and "best of" are two completely different things. Although, 'Greatest Hits' was only really a partial greatest hits, and 'Suedehead: The Best of Morrissey' was more of a singles collection than anything else...

I'm happy about this release (though I'm inclined to believe that it's not really coming out) because I hope he'll get it right this time. I think he came very close with 'The Best of Morrissey', but that was a US only release, and there have been plenty of great new songs since then that a new "best of" is worthwhile.

Over all, I think that both "greatest hits" and "best of" compilations serve their purposes, but I strongly believe that Morrissey's music is far better represented with the latter of the two. His radio-friendly "hits" contain some of his worst, least representative, songs IMO.

I agree with much of what you're saying. The US-only "Best Of" was brilliant - I buy it for friends as the perfect introduction to Morrissey.
The problem with his 'hits' (or more accurately his singles) is that so many of them are just so plain duff. If they were radio-friendly, that would be great but only a tiny number genuinely are (First of the Gang, Everyday, Suedehead, LOTFIP, Ignore Me, and that's about it).
Roys Keen (which even Morrissey now realises is so awful, he excluded it from the re-release of Mala), That's How People Lose Fans, Dagenham Dave, I Forgive Jesus, The Youngest, You Have Killed Me etc, are all just feeble forgettable songs.
Let's hope this new compilation steers well clear of them all, and focuses on the many wonderful gems on albums and single b-sides that showcase Mr S Morrissey at his very best.

My opinion when I saw this new release announced is, "Why?", followed by, "This can't be a good thing."

In 2011 when you can download every individual song and make your own Best Of, the concept of gathering a collection of music that is already released on physical media (which isn't selling much as it is) and then recompiling it and making more plastic discs that people aren't buying, is completely out of touch.

Liner notes, unreleased versions, new photographs, supporting tour....

I don't think so. He doesn't need a record to tour, and if there are unreleased versions that need to be heard, release THAT. With liner notes. Sony is putting the cap on the CD era.

What you're describing really is a type of marketing that is schizoid because it's aimed at the "true fans" but it's marketed to everyone. If he wants to do things for the diehards he could release live recordings or make limited edition packages that include these bonuses that you enjoy. I have been listening to Morrissey since the 80's and my interest in liner notes and photos is just not enough to make me buy music I own already. I'm not that type of fan. I love the music but I don't have posters and t-shirts because I really don't care about that. (and the t-shirts have been horrible for years due to indifference on Morrissey's part, I'd guess, because he's the one that could change that.)

Back
Top Bottom