The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 82: I WILL SEE YOU IN FAR OFF PLACES

How do you rate I Will See You In Far Off Places?

• Total voters
This has probably been asked before, but does this epic poll refer strictly to the studio recorded version of the song, or in any of their incarnations (some songs morph over different tours)?

Yes it has, for instance in the Back To The Old House-poll (studio or Peel-version).
I said then and say now: Vote for the best version of the song in question you know.

God, I hate this song. I hate the music, I hate the lyrics, I hate the vocal melody, I hate the way Moz sings "I will see you... I will seeeeee you... in farrrr offff plaaaaaces" - like it takes forever for him to spit it out. This is one of those rare Morrissey songs that says nothing to me about my life. If he never plays it live again I will be ecstatic.

I give it a 4... because I'm feeling generous.

One of the more experimental flourishes on Ringleader to be sure (alongside "Pigsty" and "At Last I Am Born") and a good song, but not a great one. Musically, this is a strong and engaging track, remisicent of "Whatever Happens, I Love You", but with a rockeir edge and a Middle Eastern flavour and some better lyrics.

For the most part, this song is difficult for me to relate to, although I do enjoy it. I don't really take much notice of the hackneyed politcal edge in the song ("And if the USA doesn't bomb you..."Destiny for some is to end lives") but when he sings ("It's so easy for us to sit here together, but it's so hard for the hearts to combine, and why...) I entirely relate to that, and find it a truly poetic Moz line. Even better when he replaces "heart" with "flesh" live.

A good song, strong opener but not great and not a classic. This get's a 7 from me.

Back
Top Bottom