The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 169: SUNNY

How do you rate Sunny?

• Total voters
It's mediocre, at best, but it's better than its unlistenable b-sides (yes, even "Swallow on My Neck"!) Flame on!

I'll admit that my low opinion of it is influenced by the amateurish video of it that's on the My Early Burglary Years CD. It was the first Moz video that I'd ever seen, because I'd avoided MTV all through high school & college. It was a very bad first impression.

If you avoided MTV all those years you should Like the video for Sunny! It's not made for ADD-afflicted types.

It's your opinion, fair play, but Swallow is a fantastic track. Definitely has a Smiths feel to it.

It's mediocre, at best, but it's better than its unlistenable b-sides (yes, even "Swallow on My Neck"!) Flame on!

I'll admit that my low opinion of it is influenced by the amateurish video of it that's on the My Early Burglary Years CD. It was the first Moz video that I'd ever seen, because I'd avoided MTV all through high school & college. It was a very bad first impression.

9. Wonderful track.

--jeniphir

Awww. I love this song to pieces.
It really grew on me. I didn't much care for it at first, but then the right moment came in my life where I just had to love it. so 10 :)

10/10. One of my all time favs. But is it about Sonny Liston who had a drug problem or Jake.... Morrisseys man "companion" who knocked around with Moz during the Vauxhall & I period? Anyone know who "Sunny" actually is?​

10/10. One of my all time favs. But is it about Sonny Liston who had a drug problem or Jake.... Morrisseys man "companion" who knocked around with Moz during the Vauxhall & I period? Anyone know who "Sunny" actually is?​

It is indeed about Jake. He and Moz split up because of his drug problems (Jake's, not Moz's).

I've always thought of Sunny and large chunks of Southpaw being about Jake, with Morrissey returning to the subject on Teenage Dad...("With his methadone") and perhaps Camden.

It is indeed about Jake. He and Moz split up because of his drug problems (Jake's, not Moz's).

I just had to bust out the ole itunes and listen to this song again. God, I love it. A SOLID 10. It's definitely one of the most incredible, beautiful, otherworldly songs mozzer has ever penned, and one of the few moz/smiths songs that can move me to tears each and every time I hear it.

An underappreciated gem. Definitely, a solid 10. I've sung this song (edited, a bit) as a lullaby for years. Beautiful, haunting... "I'm here, I won't move... I'm here, I will not move." Ah, Moz.

Walking around North London trying to find some breakfast before the first day on a new job, put my iPod on random, an upbeat ignored (by me) Morrissey song 'Sunny' suddenly comes on:

With your jean belt /
wrapped around your arm /
oh sunny, /
my heart goes out to you /
And with a needle pressed /
on to tight skin, sunny /
I cry when I see where it's taking you /
I'm here I won't move

Had to sit down and re-listen paying total attention to everything about the song.
Perfect song about relationships collapsing.

See it as an unofficial 'sequel' to Swallow On My Neck, which I think is one of Morrissey's most personal songs.

Back
Top Bottom