Studio version of The Draize Train

U

Uncleskinny

I've never heard it - how does it compare to the Rank version?
Where can I get to hear it?
What are other people's opinions of the studio version?
Should it have had lyrics?

Peace,

Sk.

> I've never heard it - how does it compare to the Rank version?
> Where can I get to hear it?
> What are other people's opinions of the studio version?
> Should it have had lyrics?

> Peace,

> Sk.

I think it was the weakest of the 3 Smiths instrumentals but I still like it.

As stated below it is on "Panic". When The Smiths played it live it gave Morrissey the chance to flee the stage and change his shirt.

I think Johnny enjoyed taking centre stage at this stage of the proceedings and he used to really dance and move a lot whilst playing it.

I'm not sure if The Smiths ever played that live without Craig Gannon being there. He certainly played on the live versions of the song I have ever heard and helped to enhance the sound.

I don't think it's any secret that Morrissey didn't like the song.

The studio version is the B-side to "Panic". Besides the vinyl format, I think it exists on a CD single.

It's worth tracking down. The live version on "Rank" is better-- faster, louder, played with more urgency. The studio version is slower, a little funkier, and has some shimmering synths fluttering through the mix. It's not as good as "Oscillate Wildly", but better than "Money Changes Everything".

Had the original track been more guitar-laden, as it is on "Rank", then Morrissey probably made a mistake in not adding words. However, if the final studio version is even close to the one Morrissey heard, declining to favor the tune with his vocals was probably a good decision. Either way it wasn't a "surefire" number one, as Geoff Travis is said to have gushed.

Re: Isn't it the b-side to the 12' Panic?

The word `DRAIZE` is what cosmetic firms call the testing of their products on rabbits , the BASTARDS.

Back
Top Bottom