Someone named "Chill" says "Quarry" is utterly irrelevant?

• Thread starter I Want A Jelly Donut
  • Start date
I

I Want A Jelly Donut

CHILL: "Who knew that (rightfully) thinking Quarry is a lowpoint in Morrissey's career and an utterly inconsequential, forgettable album means I hate the man? What a fantastically sophisticated logical deduction."

QUESTIONS AND COMMENTS FOR CHILL:

Can you name five albums released in 2004 that are more "consequential" and less "forgettable" than "You Are The Quarry"?

I believe whatever 2004 albums you list as more relevant than "You Are The Quarry" could be proven to be "utterly inconsequencial" to 99.9999% of the population of the world. We're not in the days of everyone of all ages knowing Elvis' hits, or the Beatles changing the the culture after playing on Ed Sullivan. You can't find a single person over 16 who knows the songs in the American Top 10 nowadays.

Have you thrown your copy of "You Are The Quarry" in the trash? Do you really think it'll be a forgotten album? Did you not attend a Morrissey concert this tour? If you did, were the songs he sang from the new album "utterly" irrelevant to you, and you were just there for the oldies? You sat in your seat unmoved? You don't know the words to any of the new songs by heart? (If you do know the words, that would suggest you've listened to the songs many times and they have been of "consequence" to you.)

The proof that the album is consequential to some people is right in front of your face, on the Morrissey boards. Many people like it. Some even love it. Some will listen to it for the rest of their lives. To them, it is a good or even great album. You act like a person can be "right" or "wrong" about whether an album is good, but that's nonsense. If someone likes a song, to that person is it a good song.

It is also not proving to be a career "lowpoint," seeing how the album is the foundation of his middle-aged comeback, something that is extremely difficult to pull of in the pop music world. He has a happy record label, is on more magazine covers than ever, more and more bands suddenly cite him as an influence, and he has successfully emerged from the abyss.

Thanks to the success of "You Are The Quarry," sales are increasing for his back catalog (apparently some Morrissey newbies liked what they heard and went back for more), and he is set for a whole string of albums to cap his career.

If you hate the songs on the album, I guess that doesn't mean much for how you feel about the album. But it's hard to call something a career lowpoint when it obviously will be regarded by most as one of his high points. "Maladjusted" was the low point, causing 7 years of nothingness. My guess is we'll have a follow-up to "You Are The Quarry" almost immediately. His career is alive again, while you seem like a negative person who is very gratuitously trying to tear him down in order to present yourself as superior to the rest of us.
I bet you know every lyric on "You Are The Quarry" by heart, so who's kidding who here?

What albums of 2004 are considered "relevant" by you? .

five more "consequential" albums for 2004

> Lambchop: Aw C'mon/No You C'mon
for pushing the envelope even further as to what country music is. Lambchop make more convincing soul music than almost anything put out by a black artist on a major label for the last few years.

> Elliott Smith: From A Basement On A Hill
ok, so he's become a tragic indie hero, but this album stands up as the best thing he's done, even as it remains eternally unfinished. People will be talking about this album as his masterwork long after "You Are The Quarry" remains just another Morrissey solo album.

> The Libertines: The Libertines
I'm not sure if the album itself is more "consequential" than anything else released this year, but I'd say that the bands fans are the 00s equilivant of Smiths fans in the 80s. Leave all the tabloid bullshit behind and just listen. The Libertines are the "band as gang", like The Smiths (before the counrt cases) and The Clash. What's more, The Libertines are tying to break down the barrier between "artist" and "fan" by sharing the music online (who do you think leaked the LP a full two months early?) Pop into a Libertines forum and you'll find friendly people willing to share rare music. It's a nice change from the sniping and bitchiness found here every day, and you certainly don't find the same number of complete lunatics as you find here.

> Franz Ferdinand: Franz Ferdinand
Because they're fun, they're sexy and the make indie rock you can dance to. They're the funkiest rock band since Talking Heads in their prime. And because they can writing convincingly sexually ambigeous music without sound like that tosser Brian from Placebo.

> Dimmer: You've Got To Hear The Music
Because this is the sort of music people who leave famous rock bands and go solo should be making. Dark, sexy, minimal and vaguely threatening. Certainly far more interesting than the "modern rock" sounds of YATQ

Don't get me wrong, I quite like the new Morrissey album. But I think that if you think it's as good as "Vauxhall ..." and any better than "Maladjusted" or "Kill Uncle" then you're fooling yourself.

I agree..I'm a "fan" and this blows. He sings too high out of
his range and the lyrics are worst yet (e.g. "the only one around here who is me
is me")...the album is full of garbage like this..no single redeeming track.
perhaps morrissey wants to see you idiots eat this up for a laugh..
this is not a Moz diss..it's just that the record sucks..
sturn

> five more "consequential" albums for 2004
> for pushing the envelope even further as to what country music is.
> Lambchop make more convincing soul music than almost anything put out by a
> black artist on a major label for the last few years.
> ok, so he's become a tragic indie hero, but this album stands up as the
> best thing he's done, even as it remains eternally unfinished. People will
> be talking about this album as his masterwork long after "You Are The
> Quarry" remains just another Morrissey solo album.
> I'm not sure if the album itself is more "consequential" than
> anything else released this year, but I'd say that the bands fans are the
> 00s equilivant of Smiths fans in the 80s. Leave all the tabloid bullshit
> behind and just listen. The Libertines are the "band as gang",
> like The Smiths (before the counrt cases) and The Clash. What's more, The
> Libertines are tying to break down the barrier between "artist"
> and "fan" by sharing the music online (who do you think leaked
> the LP a full two months early?) Pop into a Libertines forum and you'll
> find friendly people willing to share rare music. It's a nice change from
> the sniping and bitchiness found here every day, and you certainly don't
> find the same number of complete lunatics as you find here.
> Because they're fun, they're sexy and the make indie rock you can dance
> to. They're the funkiest rock band since Talking Heads in their prime. And
> because they can writing convincingly sexually ambigeous music without
> sound like that tosser Brian from Placebo.
> Because this is the sort of music people who leave famous rock bands and
> go solo should be making. Dark, sexy, minimal and vaguely threatening.
> Certainly far more interesting than the "modern rock" sounds of
> YATQ

> Don't get me wrong, I quite like the new Morrissey album. But I think that
> if you think it's as good as "Vauxhall ..." and any better than
> "Maladjusted" or "Kill Uncle" then you're fooling
> yourself.

Franz Ferdinand, Libertines....shit man why not name all of the bands that made the cover of NME or the tabloids

yeah, 'cause Lambchop, Elliott Smith and Dimmer have had a lot of press in the NME lately

Don't be such a muso. Chill is fantastic, and it is her opinion that Quarry is pretty irrelevant and is Moz's worst album. I agree with here entirely.

Re: yeah, 'cause Lambchop, Elliott Smith and Dimmer have had a lot of press in the NME lately

Didn't Elliot Smith off himself a while back?

Re: yeah, 'cause Lambchop, Elliott Smith and Dimmer have had a lot of press in the NME lately

> Didn't Elliot Smith off himself a while back?

yeah, at the end of last year. The investigation was not entirely conclusive that it was suicide ... there were three deep stab wounds to the chest, which would obviously take quite a lot of willpower. Plus, he and his girlfriend had been arguing that afternoon.

> Don't be such a muso. Chill is fantastic, and it is her opinion that
> Quarry is pretty irrelevant and is Moz's worst album. I agree with here
> entirely.

that post was written (anonymously, of course ...) by Belligerent Ghoul, who is somewhat obsessed with Chill. Has "I Want A Jelly Donut" ever posted here before? Of course not? BG makes up quaint little names for himself to give the impression that there are other people on the board who think he actually holds some sway.

So, yeah, the post was merely an attempt to re-ignite the BG/Chill war. The guy's a twat. Ignore him.

thanks for that lawrence, speaking of TWATS who hide, i see you

still living with your mum margaret? lawrence? you fat psycho serial killer lookylikey

> yeah, at the end of last year. The investigation was not entirely
> conclusive that it was suicide ... there were three deep stab wounds to
> the chest, which would obviously take quite a lot of willpower. Plus, he
> and his girlfriend had been arguing that afternoon.

Wow...I didn't know all the details- weird- thanks for the info

Belligerent Ghoul ...... The guy's a twat. Ignore him.

well said.

> Wow...I didn't know all the details- weird- thanks for the info

Not just weird.. just the tragic waste of a heartfelt talent...
'Figure 8' is a must own for anyone here..

Ruffian

> Not just weird.. just the tragic waste of a heartfelt talent...
> 'Figure 8' is a must own for anyone here..

> Ruffian
Ruffian, I concur, that's the absolute best of his! A very tragic waste. I play "Figure 8" a great deal.

Back
Top Bottom