Smoking in Public Places Ban - For or Against

Smoking in Public Places Ban - For or Against?

• For

Votes: 33 64.7%
  • Against

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Not Bothered

Votes: 4 7.8%

• Total voters
1st of all
smoking is cool :cool:
2ndly
fear of death is for cowards :eek:
&
billh.jpg

Robby, smoking is cool if and only if you would love to be a dead duck! Regardless of the fact - any fact - if I smoked I would never be able to breathe again. My asthma would definitely get the best of me, and I would choke to death!!!:eek:

Robby, smoking is cool if and only if you would love to be a dead duck! Regardless of the fact - any fact - if I smoked I would never be able to breathe again. My asthma would definitely get the best of me, and I would choke to death!!!:eek:

well, i only smoke 2 or 3 packs a week
and if ever i smoke more
then i cough blood :eek:
so yeah, sometimes i quit for a while :rolleyes:
but for me, smoking, eating chocos & listening to Morrissey
are simply the few pleasures in life left to me...

well, i only smoke 2 or 3 packs a week
and if ever i smoke more
then i cough blood :eek:
so yeah, sometimes i quit for a while :rolleyes:
but for me, smoking, eating chocos & listening to Morrissey
are simply the few pleasures in life left to me...

Oh Robby, that's not good! Blood! :eek: But you said that smoking helps you right??

I don't smoke tobacco and the smell is very invasive for me personally, probably because I lived with someone that would light a cigarette and let it burn out just to irritate me. So you know I don't like cigarette smoke and I can't tolerate being around it. So I wouldn't go to the clubs that allowed smoking, if they weren't doing something to at least ventilate. Ventilation isn't an answer for me though, because it isn't actually being exposed to the visible smoke, it is the smell. I hate the smell. Getting that out of the way this is not the sorts of thing that should be legislated. If you believe it is then I hope you are seatbelted into your office chair so you won't fall out and wearing a safety helmet in case the roof collapses.

There are a couple of issues here which is the only reason I can see any controversy about this. One problem is the cost of "healthcare" brought on by smoking and who is responsible for paying the cost. Should smokers be able to force second-hand smoke on me? No, but then at a club I am free to leave.

That's another issue, whose liberty are we preserving? Do I have the right to breathe smoke-free air since I don't smoke? Well then, say I don't have a car either so I want them all banned. We need to show the children that driving isn't cool. :D

I think the solution is the good old free market way, let clubs have smoking or non-smoking policies based on what their patrons want. I and many others would go to the smoke-free clubs and there would be no need for laws to solve the problem.

In California there is no smoking in public buildings and I take it for granted. People go outside to smoke and then they come back. It's simple and probably the fresh air counteracts some of the effects of the smoke?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ventilation isn't an answer for me though, because it isn't actually be exposed to the visible smoke, it is the smell. I hate the smell.

It makes me sick :(

That's another issue, whose liberty are we preserving? Do I have the right to breathe smoke-free air since I don't smoke?

It's not about liberty, it's about profit :eek: Do smokers ever ask themselves 'whose profit are we preserving?'

my father made his living making gasoline out of oil
he was a chemical engineer
and even though he himself quit smoking
HE FIRMLY BELIEVED
that while 2nd hand smoke cerntainly kills people to some degree
the far greater victory for the oil business is LETTING PEOPLE CONVINCE THEMSELEVES THAT CIGARETTES ARE TO BLAME FOR THE STAGGERINGLY HIGH LEVELS OF LUNG CANCER IN THE URBANIZED 1ST WORLD, but measurably lower levels else where
but i suppose many people are really so nieve as to believe that 'its what you smell that kills you' :rolleyes:
& heaven forbid Americans ever take responsibilty for the murder our enviorment through our gas usage
and arguably other people as well :cool:

ps:
i smoke
KretekDjarum-2.jpg

these
and i too notice the smell of regular cigs...

It makes me sick :(

It's not about liberty, it's about profit :eek: Do smokers ever ask themselves 'whose profit are we preserving?'

But it is about liberty and profit. The tobacco companies, while putting out anti-smoking messages (which are probably tax-deductible for the tobacco companies and better then billion-dollar class action suits) also fund or help organize Smoker's Rights groups. If marijuana smokers were as devoted as these people it would be legal. They believe they are reinforcing their Constitutional Rights every time they light up.

But it is about liberty and profit. The tobacco companies, while putting out anti-smoking messages (which are probably tax-deductible for the tobacco companies and better then billion-dollar class action suits) also fund or help organize Smoker's Rights groups. If marijuana smokers were as devoted as these people it would be legal. They believe they are reinforcing their Constitutional Rights every time they light up.
It's hard to argue that people shouldn't have the liberty to support the tobacco companies. It's not like they're killing people :p

damn, ididn't read it well... so 1 'for' must be 'against'!

btw, i think their must be only smokers rooms in public places [ innner]
outdoors smoking ban is discrimination

:(

Smoking is addictive, I can't give it up. I may eventually stop but from July I'll just pop outside .

I don't give a fig if people want to smoke in public places. Just as long as they don't blow it unnecessarily in my face or set the place ablaze.

On the bunnymen forum, there's a discussion on this too considering Mr. McCulloch is widely known for chain smoking on stage...I hope he gets to continue to smoke until his heart's content.

That's another issue, whose liberty are we preserving? Do I have the right to breathe smoke-free air since I don't smoke? Well then, say I don't have a car either so I want them all banned. We need to show the children that driving isn't cool. :D

Fair point, but then again cars have a use value. If cars were banned people wouldn't be able to do important things like get to work, pick up groceries, take loved ones to the hospital, commit drive-by shootings, and conceive unwanted children. Cigarette smoking is purely a pleasure. If my pleasures impede your pleasures, mine should be curbed first. What you wrote about going outside is exactly right: smokers can adapt. What you wrote about leaving the club is also true: non-smokers should be able to know when certain situations demand that they leave.

Can't wait for a day when I can go for a night out and come back without my clothes and hair being all smoked!

(ex-smoker)

Fair point, but then again cars have a use value. If cars were banned people wouldn't be able to do important things like get to work, pick up groceries, take loved ones to the hospital, commit drive-by shootings, and conceive unwanted children. Cigarette smoking is purely a pleasure. If my pleasures impede your pleasures, mine should be curbed first. What you wrote about going outside is exactly right: smokers can adapt. What you wrote about leaving the club is also true: non-smokers should be able to know when certain situations demand that they leave.

ban cars?
nope, but as long as the 'leading edge' of the 'DEVELOPED WORLD'
ie, your average fat, stupid lazy American :rolleyes: is pre-occupied with their environment ONLY when something annoys them
LIKE SMOKERS
we will all continue to drown in air filled with an ever more vast amount unnatural particulates in what we breathe
however, since most of these toxins are odorless i do not expect people here to ever care :(

PS: for the record though
i believe that part of the backlash against smokers is justified in that
it is a manifestation of people's, frequently unconscious, ire @ the growing decline in civility
i myself have almost never not asked someone who i was talking to, (or otherwise in close proximity to) if they minded if i smoked
as a matter of fact
when i lived with a non-smoker, i smoked outside and not in her car as well
but i use to know many smokers that acted much more thoughtlessly than i when it came to when and where to smoke
see, its really SIMPLE
if you are smoking and someone asks you to stop
do so
but no
i understand
thats not gonna happen because too many smokers have now become too
INSECURE ABOUT THEIR RIGHT TO SMOKE
& too many people that want to ask someone to stop smoking are oft too meek to do so
so instead we get LAWS
NOT civility
how pathetic! :eek:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom