Rubber Ring??

You could see a "Rubber Ring" as something they throw when someone is drowning in the water. A symbol of saving. And this fits the context of saving: Morrissey sings about how music can save your life

Just a quick one - what does the title 'Rubber Ring' actually mean?!

say you were drowning , what would you need to keep you afloat?

Aaaahhh ..... I understand now!! Ta!

No problem. It took me a while too to figure out the song. It's great when you suddenly understand it then. :)

"Rubber Ring" also refers (in addition to the lifesaver) to a vinyl record: it's a ring that goes round and round.

lol i just googled the lyrics because ive never read them through before, i didnt even know it was rubber ring rubber ring lol i though he was just going oh la la la and making weird sounds that has just cracked me up!
its obviously meant to be a pun as well like the beatles rubber soul, also a rubber ring is something you sit on when you have a sore bum:)

I've read that Morrissey sings "rubber ring", "love me", "la la lay", and "not again", but he definitely sings "la la lay". I saw a video of him performing Rubber Ring at a festival, and there was a close up of his face and you could clearly see his mouth singing "la la lay". Of course he loves to change up the lyrics all the time, but just listen to the track and think all four of those lines, and only "la la lay" matches up right.

Some of the earliest recordings were made on cylinders or disks of vulcanite, or hard rubber (also known as gutta percha).

"Rubber Ring" is one of the cleverest song titles of all time.

A perfect explanation. I think you hit the nail on the head. The first time I saw the title I thought it might refer to the imprint that a condom can leave when it's been in a wallet for too long.

Last edited:
A perfect explanation. I think you hit the nail on the head. The first time I saw the title I thought it might refer to the imprint that a condom can leave when its been in a wallet for too long.

Shows what a dirty mind I have :)D ) that I, too, immediately thought of a condom the first time I picked up "Louder Than Bombs" and looked at the title... :

It's all of the above, but when I first read the title I laughed rather in the manner of Sid James. Can you not think of the obvious reference? Or is it just me with a mind like a sewer?

It probably is the cleverest song title of all time, to mean something so simultaneously pure and life affirming, so decadent and cheerful and also so downright dirty.
It always amazes me that Morrissey was embraced by the press as this clean living celibate when he'd resolutely put filthy jokes and double entendres into his songs and interviews with alarming frequency.

I totally agree. It is one of Morrissey's finest moments. I was so pleased to hear it on the Quarry tour. It felt so appropriate for him to ask: "Do you love me like you used to?"

Rubber ring... I haven't read the lyrics yet, but the title at first only inspired me a toy ring made of rubber... Innocent me, ha!

The condom makes much more sense... Now I just googled the lyrics... "Im holding the torch
In the corner of your room" Mmmm!! Dirty mind of mine... dirty dirty mind of mine!! :p

A perfect explanation. I think you hit the nail on the head. The first time I saw the title I thought it might refer to the imprint that a condom can leave when it's been in a wallet for too long.

hahaha now that's something people would expect me to ask, especially after my last public interpretation of i just want to see the boy happy.

i was as dirty minded as you were- i thought he might be refering to the same thing. i should probably ask my analyst why i relate everything to sex, huh?

maybe you're all a bunch of perverts and Moz is simply refering to a rubber ring as previously mentioned. Go and have a wank or something.

maybe you're all a bunch of perverts and Moz is simply refering to a rubber ring as previously mentioned. Go and have a wank or something.

hahahahhaahhaa
i agree with the definition the people gave above
i just thought i'd be funny.
a wank?
i'm practically a nun.

I've read that Morrissey sings "rubber ring", "love me", "la la lay", and "not again", but he definitely sings "la la lay". I saw a video of him performing Rubber Ring at a festival, and there was a close up of his face and you could clearly see his mouth singing "la la lay". Of course he loves to change up the lyrics all the time, but just listen to the track and think all four of those lines, and only "la la lay" matches up right.

i agree. I don't think he sings actually sings the words "rubber ring" at any stage.

Shows what a dirty mind I have :)D ) that I, too, immediately thought of a condom the first time I picked up "Louder Than Bombs" and looked at the title... :

Am I the only one but isn't there some kind of freaky sex-toy that is a rubber ring and makes the erection last longer?

:p

Back
Top Bottom