Pitchfork likes him okay....

~El Boydelz~

Also a client
Wed: 06-07-06

Morrissey: "If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look at Me"
genre: mope rock

False modesty has always suited Morrissey. Again and again, this charming man makes us believe he's as undesirable as we-- in clammy moments of relapsing adolescence-- fear we truly are. Dapper as ever in tux on the cover of this single, he moans, "If you don't want me/ You don't have to have me" over chase-scene acoustic guitars like those on Vauxhall's "Why Don't You Find Out for Yourself". Typical Moz: "If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look at Me" is as good as several tracks on its corresponding album.

On another level, though, it's "Moz to crits: Piss off!" If Ringleader of the Tormentors lacked the vitriol of You Are the Quarry, here the bile turns into a stylized, wordless prechorus, and a young man runs down the rushing glen. "See if I care," Morrissey stammers, of course a bit too much. The mariachi horns of "I Just Want to See the Boy Happy" return for the crashing finale, and I can't begin to parse why he sings of "somebody else who can take your gaze a ways" (not "away"). Professions of apathy aside, though, the man who once sang, "Me, without clothes?/ Well, a nation turns its back and gags" remains dashingly unrequited: "I just thought you might feel the same, that's all." [Marc Hogan] ***1/2 stars

pitchfork has a lot of sympathy for morrissey

people bash pitchfork for being young, snooty/snotty, and generally too enthusiastic (the same reason people used to bash morrissey i bet)

The people at pitchfork should not be allowed to rate music when most of the time they have no idea what that are talking about. They are almost as bad as Allmusic's ratings. Yes, they have a few smart people, but the rest seem like snotty little brats to me.

Back
Top Bottom