Oye Esteban! DVD

Hello,

This will be my first post on this forum. I'm 27, live in Sweden and have been a Smiths/Moz devotee for the last 11 or 12 years.

I have a simple question about the Oye Esteban! DVD: is it available for purchase in the UK? The reason I'm asking is that my dad is going to London next month and I was hoping he could pick it up for me there. Do you think he'd find it in stores there? Or is it only sold in the US? Any help appreciated.

Hi, I don't know if it's in the shops in the UK, but I just checked amazon.co.uk, and they've got it, but in a region 1 coded version (US), meaning that you will not be able to watch it on a "normal" (region 2) dvd-player, except if yours is code-free. And they said: "The picture is grainy and looks like you are watching an American TV. It's not as clear as other Region 1 DVD's".

Don't know if that helps :confused:
But maybe there are people here who have it in a different knid of format?

Firstly and most importantly...

The question about availability, Yes it is freely available to buy in the larger stores, it will be clearly marked as an import and region 1 dvd to avoid any confusion (i.e. you won't get a refund). So that that cleared up.

Secondly Although the DVD is region 1 it is a fallacy to suggest that the best picture available from the disk would be American TV resolution (which are very poor, any of the following methods should make the picture appear at a finer resoloution than will appear on American screens, simply due to the fact that DVDs are encrytpted with far more picture resolution data than can be broadcast on a terestrial TV picture, and that Swedish terrestrial TV is approx 20% better in both Sound and Vision than American)

Will you watch it on a dvd connected to a pal tv via scart? dvd "hacks" are available for almost all dvd players so if you don't have a multi-region player search the internet for advice on how to make your current player multi region (google the model, manufacturer, and multi region hack)

If you have HDTV - I see that you're country has embraced the technology - and a HDMI socket you will benefit from upscaling of the picture, again as long as your dvd player is multi-region (or hacked to make it so)

Failing all that I would recommend putting the DVD in your computer, a source of high-def viewing that most people have and rip it to the hard-disk for best viewing!

Hope this help,

Reg

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers.

Reggie Pepper said:
The question about availability, Yes it is freely available to buy in the larger stores, it will be clearly marked as an import and region 1 dvd to avoid any confusion (i.e. you won't get a refund). So that that cleared up.

Do you have any idea what the price would be (in pounds)? And would "larger stores" be Virgin and the like? Thanks.

slurred_veneer said:
Thanks for the answers.

Do you have any idea what the price would be (in pounds)? And would "larger stores" be Virgin and the like? Thanks.

I saw it in HMV on Saturday and it was just under £20.

Matthew said:
I saw it in HMV on Saturday and it was just under £20.

Hmm, 20 quid, eh? That's hardly a bargain. Especially considering that I already have most of the videos on Hulmerist and The Malady Lingers On. Anyway, thanks for all the information.

Back
Top Bottom