Old Punks never die.. Damned & the Blockheads (no moz)

R

Ruffian

..and they don't fade away..Saw a post about modern punk today.. and thought I'd share, nursing my hangover here, another D list celebrity meeting moment last night during the Damned homecoming gig in Croydon... Place was full of 30/40 something old punks from the first years of 77 through to now.. The Captain was in fine form recounting the fact he cleaned the toilets at the Fairfield Halls when he was starting out.. But all those hardcore fans.. all having experiences and stories to tell, at the vanguard of something enw and grounbreakingly vital as the punk movement was at that time..

Anyway, I finally met the bass player from the Blockheads, Norm Watt, last night and what a great meeting.. he was lively enthusiastic butI had to make a point of shaking his hand.. because that hand played one of the best bass lines ever in 'Hit Me with yoru rhythm stick'.. it was a priviledge!!

Long live the spirit of Punk!
festive cheer.. now to jingle my bells.
Ruffian

PS, next 'punk' moment will be Otway at the LA2 in Charing X Road on Thursday.. the Ruffians A List drinking team (11 strong) will be in the porcupine from 7pm.. Come and say hello..

Old Punks never die..the just repeat the past....over...and over...and over....

Great. Same old rehashed shite. Nothing changes. Same old bands. Same old sound. Stagnant. Petrified. Frozen in time. Same old fans. Reliving same old memories.

Re: Old Punks never die..

You can't beat Ian Dury and the Blockheads, my cousin had the "Hit Me With Your Rythym Stick" on 7", I loved it but I prefered the B side "There Are Some Clever Barstards" - I was only 3 at the time, but at least I can say "I was there!"

Re: Old Punks never die..

> You can't beat Ian Dury and the Blockheads, my cousin had the "Hit Me
> With Your Rythym Stick" on 7", I loved it but I prefered the B
> side "There Are Some Clever Barstards" - I was only 3 at the
> time, but at least I can say "I was there!"

Is that the same band that sing that song 'You're everywhere that I'm not'?

Re: Old Punks never die..the just repeat the past....over...and over...and over....

> Great. Same old rehashed shite. Nothing changes. Same old bands. Same old
> sound. Stagnant. Petrified. Frozen in time. Same old fans. Reliving same
> old memories.
Just goes to show how much you know about The Damned.If Morrissey comes back with an album half as good as The Damned's Grave Disorder I'd be delighted! Presumably you haven't been knocking Mozza for playing 20 year old Smiths songs before audiences of 30/40 year old Smiths fans,have you? Shameless nostalgia,it's all that we have left!!!

Re: Old Punks never die..the just repeat the past....over...and over...and over....

Lad,

Feel free to name some of yr. favorite bands. I'm sure they're terribly original.

I've seen the Damned a couple of times, and they're as good of a live band as any I've seen.

In the midst of all the manufactured pop rubbish that's being produced at the moment it was refreshing and enjoyable to go see Stiff Little Fingers in Bradford last week. I'm struggling to think of any new bands that can provide similar great tunes and searing guitars?

The Damned were always much better than anyone ever gave them credit for, even themselves. Despite trying their best to act stupid and appear to be in it for the fun, they just about had everything it takes to be great. Vastly underrated.

You want modern guitar Rock.. try the DATSUNS

> In the midst of all the manufactured pop rubbish that's being produced at
> the moment it was refreshing and enjoyable to go see Stiff Little Fingers
> in Bradford last week. I'm struggling to think of any new bands that can
> provide similar great tunes and searing guitars?

These boys were full of the rock poses last week my friend. Saw them at the Astoria with the swedish band the Hellacopetrs.. The mosh was mental.. but the music rocked big time.. even if a little monotonous at times (don't tell my hippie mates)

Try and check out glam rock classic 'Harmonic generator' from the Datsuns.. retro lives on!

Ruffian

The Damned - Machine Gun Etiquette - a CLASSIC

> Great. Same old rehashed shite. Nothing changes. Same old bands. Same old
> sound. Stagnant. Petrified. Frozen in time. Same old fans. Reliving same
> old memories.

And yeah.. t's nostalgia.. but I live in the present also.. Datsuns, Libertines, Interpol .. etc.. But accept it man.. Old Punks gave birth to a generation of alterantive music.. crush todays lot under a stilleto'd boot..

And modern day rocekrs would be hard pushed to beat a Damned album you must own.. which I assume from your comments you must have some in your learned collection..

DAMNED.. MACHINE GUN ETIQUETTE>>

Buy it and listen really loud at your peril..

Melody Lee Ruffian xx

Re: You want modern guitar Rock.. try the DATSUNS

> Try and check out glam rock classic 'Harmonic generator' from the
> Datsuns.. retro lives on!

> Ruffian

No offence, but I don't think I'll bother. I've seen it all and heard it all before. When something worthwhile comes along I'll be the first to know. It'll have to hit me between the eyes though.
Speed

PUNKS DEAD - YOU'R NEXT

You talk about acceptance but just look at you
How you can join the mainstream
When you look the way you do
You talk about anarchy well I'll show you some
You won't last one minute if the real thing comes
Punk's dead, you're next
Punk's dead, you're next
Punk's dead, you're next
Punk's dead, you're next
You want to worship Wattie? That's not the way to be