NEW YORK AREA HOTSPOTS??

M

MOZZYGIRL

I WILL BE VISITING NEW YORK ON DECEMBER 26TH THROUGH JANUARY 3. CAN ANYONE TELL ME ABOUT SOME CLUBS, BARS, COFFEE HOUSES, GIGS OR ANY PLACE OF THE SORT THAT MIGHT BE OF INTREST TO ME. I AM PRETTY OPEN MUSICALLY...FAVS.: MOZ (OF COURSE), NEW WAVE, SYNTHPOP, GLAM PUNK, PSYCHOBILLY, ROCKABILLY ...ANYTHING REALLY. HAS ANYONE EVER HEARD OF CLUB "TRASH"..HOW IS IT THERE?

tHANKS
s

Do you like skinheads?

Go hang out down at St. Marks place on the weekends. about 30-40 skinheads hang out there at night and drink malt liqour and get in fights.

Oh, but don't go down there unless you're a skinhead too. Otherwise you're liable to be beaten by one of the skin girls.

74 Third Avenue (between 11th &12th)

Try Nevada Smiths:

http://www.nevadasmiths.net/

It’s on Third Avenue between 11th & 12th streets.

This is a good pub that attracts a lot of Irish & English people, expatriates, etc.
On weeknights and weekends they play a good mix of 80’s-90’s UK alternative music ala Smiths, Stone Roses, etc.
On Saturday & Sunday during the day they televise football matches live via satellite from England.
This pub is also some sort of unofficial hangout for “New York Reds” – that is to say, New York area fans of Manchester United.
Good selection of beer and ales. Good crowd.

> Do you like skinheads?

> Go hang out down at St. Marks place on the weekends. about 30-40 skinheads
> hang out there at night and drink malt liqour and get in fights.

> Oh, but don't go down there unless you're a skinhead too. Otherwise you're
> liable to be beaten by one of the skin girls.

if they are S.H.A.R.P.'s i should have no problem. and the Skin birds are actually quite nice.

Nevada Smiths Rocks!

>Gr

Try Nevada Smiths:

> http://www.nevadasmiths.net/ It’s on Third Avenue between 11th &
> 12th streets.

> This is a good pub that attracts a lot of Irish & English people,
> expatriates, etc.
> On weeknights and weekends they play a good mix of 80’s-90’s UK
> alternative music ala Smiths, Stone Roses, etc.
> On Saturday & Sunday during the day they televise football matches
> live via satellite from England.
> This pub is also some sort of unofficial hangout for “New York Reds” –
> that is to say, New York area fans of Manchester United.
> Good selection of beer and ales. Good crowd.

Re: Nevada Smiths Rocks!

I used to go in there when I was in NYC. The Man u. connection is a bit crap.

> I WILL BE VISITING NEW YORK ON DECEMBER 26TH THROUGH JANUARY 3. CAN ANYONE
> TELL ME ABOUT SOME CLUBS, BARS, COFFEE HOUSES, GIGS OR ANY PLACE OF THE
> SORT THAT MIGHT BE OF INTREST TO ME. I AM PRETTY OPEN MUSICALLY...FAVS.:
> MOZ (OF COURSE), NEW WAVE, SYNTHPOP, GLAM PUNK, PSYCHOBILLY, ROCKABILLY
> ...ANYTHING REALLY. HAS ANYONE EVER HEARD OF CLUB "TRASH"..HOW
> IS IT THERE?

> tHANKS
> s
Try www.transmissionspace.com. They have a regular Tuesday event featuring Mozzer/Smiths, Synthpop, Glam, New Wave, Britpop. It's at a place called Cinema Classic on 11th street, between 1st. and 2nd. avenues.

That's in the East Village ( St.Mark's Place area), which is the indie/punky/bohemian district. It's a great area. While you're there, pick up all the flyers from bars and wee shops. You'll find plenty of them promoting all kinds of nights at different venues in the area.

Also, a wee bit further south ( on the Lower East Side) there's a place called The Arlene Grocery. It used to be a grocery and they couldn't be arsed changing the name. On Monday nights they have a karaoke with a live band. You tell them the song, and you're up there with your very own guitarists and drummer. Those guys must know about a million songs. It's actually owned by a guy called Owen from Birmingham ( England, not Alabama) and he often jumps up on stage to do back-up vocals.
Have a great time ( I don't think I've ever been as jealous of anyone in my entire life as I am right now).

Cheers.

PS. Where are you staying? I'll probably know a decent bar or two nearby.

> Try www.transmissionspace.com . They have a regular Tuesday event
> featuring Mozzer/Smiths, Synthpop, Glam, New Wave, Britpop. It's at a
> place called Cinema Classic on 11th street, between 1st. and 2nd. avenues.

> That's in the East Village ( St.Mark's Place area), which is the
> indie/punky/bohemian district. It's a great area. While you're there, pick
> up all the flyers from bars and wee shops. You'll find plenty of them
> promoting all kinds of nights at different venues in the area.

> Also, a wee bit further south ( on the Lower East Side) there's a place
> called The Arlene Grocery. It used to be a grocery and they couldn't be
> arsed changing the name. On Monday nights they have a karaoke with a live
> band. You tell them the song, and you're up there with your very own
> guitarists and drummer. Those guys must know about a million songs. It's
> actually owned by a guy called Owen from Birmingham ( England, not
> Alabama) and he often jumps up on stage to do back-up vocals.
> Have a great time ( I don't think I've ever been as jealous of anyone in
> my entire life as I am right now).

> Cheers.

> PS. Where are you staying? I'll probably know a decent bar or two nearby.
** i will be staying in a Hotel in Brooklyn. from what i heard it is "Jewish Town"--do you know the place?

For crying out loud... how I would love to go to New York and watch the footie... alas, surrounded by either Chelsea or Man Yooo fans would be too much for me.

At least there's no Le*ds supporters club there...

HUDDERSFIELD TOWN WILL RISE AGAIN!!!

Re: NEW YORK AREA HOTSPOTS?? (several...)

for the week that you're here, i would recommend "Trash" on Friday the 27th (see post from jess above), "Tiswas" at Don Hill's on Saturday the 28th, "200 Cigarettes", the New Years Eve party at Cinema Classics on Tuesday the 31st & "Girls & Boys" at Filter 14 on Wednesday the 1st. for the most part, they are all thrown by different DJs, but i think you would really enjoy them all.

-carlos

p.s. for the NYC locals there's actually a brand new party opening on January 06, 2003. see below link for details...

> I WILL BE VISITING NEW YORK ON DECEMBER 26TH THROUGH JANUARY 3. CAN ANYONE
> TELL ME ABOUT SOME CLUBS, BARS, COFFEE HOUSES, GIGS OR ANY PLACE OF THE
> SORT THAT MIGHT BE OF INTREST TO ME. I AM PRETTY OPEN MUSICALLY...FAVS.:
> MOZ (OF COURSE), NEW WAVE, SYNTHPOP, GLAM PUNK, PSYCHOBILLY, ROCKABILLY
> ...ANYTHING REALLY. HAS ANYONE EVER HEARD OF CLUB "TRASH"..HOW
> IS IT THERE?

> tHANKS
> s

New Weekly At Guernica...

Re: NEW YORK AREA NO-GO's

Ha ha SHARPS .... that's funny. Don't think you'll be finding too many two-tone listening, pork-pie hat wearing baldies down at St. Marks Place.
This crowd likes to fight pit bulls and jump people who look at them the wrong way.

My original suggestion to go there was a joke. Since you're oddly accustomed to skinheads who dislike racism and are friendly (?) then I strongly suggest you DO NOT go down to St. Marks Palce on the weekend at night.

More Shite - Huddersfield or Derby?

Huddersfield is shite. You know. I know it. And now every lonely Morrissey freak visiting this board knows it.

Re: Nevada Smiths - BETTER RED THAN DEAD.

> The Man u. connection is a bit

Spoken like a true Scouser scum.

> For crying out loud... how I would love to go to New York and watch the
> footie... alas, surrounded by either Chelsea or Man Yooo fans would be too
> much for me.

> At least there's no Le*ds supporters club there...

> HUDDERSFIELD TOWN WILL RISE AGAIN!!!
Leeds are shite!

Up the Boro!!!!

> ** i will be staying in a Hotel in Brooklyn. from what i heard it is
> "Jewish Town"--do you know the place?

I've heard Williamsburg and Flatbush both described as Jewish areas. Hopefully you'll be in Williamsburg. It's now a pretty cool area in itself and is also really close to Manhattan, and the Lower East Side of Manhattan at that.

A taxi across the Williamsburg Bridge will take you right into the L.E.S. just slightly south of Houston Street. As soon as you come off the bridge, you're really close to The Arlene Grocery which is on Stanton Street, between Ludlow Street and Orchard Street.

By the way , the weekly Tuesday thing at transmission space falls on New Years Eve this year and they're holding a big night they're calling '200 Cigarettes', playing the kind of stuff you listed as your favourites apart from maybe psycho/rockabilly. I'm sure you'll have a great time. Good luck. By the way, I'm seething with jealousy. Cheers.

Re: NEW YORK AREA NO-GO's

then I
> strongly suggest you DO NOT go down to St. Marks Palce on the weekend at
> night.

Nonsense. Don't listen to him. There are hundreds of all kinds of people milling about. God knows how many times I staggered around there and met nothing but friendliness and camaraderie.( I think I've spelt that wrong)

Back
Top Bottom