Morrissey's Most Underated Song

'Paint A Vulgar Picture' and 'The Hand That Rocks The Cradle' are pure poetry.
'At Amber', because the first line never fails to make me smile and the tune has an unforgiving way of getting inside your head.
And 'I'd Love To', because it's quite simply beautiful and breaks my heart every time i hear it.
But there are so many ... every time i think i've identified my favourite song off a Morrissey album, i'll listen again, notice something he does with a line, or the tone of his voice, or a section of the music, and change my mind.

"I Keep Mine Hidden" for The Smiths (although for me the real underrated gem of The Smiths doesn't fit the question: "The Draize Train").

For Morrissey I'd say "Lucky Lisp". Lots of people like the song, I know, but I still think it's underrated. One of his absolute best.

Oh dear i forgot Yes I Am Blind! i remember hearing it for the first time and being affected more by the 'little lamb on a hill' than the whole meat is murder song:(

Huge second on "Roy's Keen, Oh, Roy's Keen" and "Unhappy Birthday." I remember an interview with Johnny Marr in which he's asked what the Smiths' best album is, and he answers "Strangeways" and spends the rest of the answer enthusing about that track.

I think part of the "Unhappy Birthday" thing is that it's somehow read as a wholly serious lyric, because he sings it more or less straight...or that's how I hear it, anyway...

I also agree that "Reel Around the Fountain" occupies an odd space of being acknowledged as one of the best, but still somehow underrated. Incredible lyric, incredible delivery which I can't imagine being duplicated in any other take. I'd also be curious as to what he'd make of it live, right now...

"Paint a Vulgar Picture" is my favorite Smiths song on some days. Such an intellectualized song, and yet so tender.

As for actual original thought (I woke up twenty minutes ago, it seems cruel to ask...) um, I adore "He Cried," and I think "The Boy Racer" should be acknowledged as a bit of greatness. If it'd only been a single...

Huge second on "Roy's Keen, Oh, Roy's Keen" and "Unhappy Birthday." I remember an interview with Johnny Marr in which he's asked what the Smiths' best album is, and he answers "Strangeways" and spends the rest of the answer enthusing about that track.

I think part of the "Unhappy Birthday" thing is that it's somehow read as a wholly serious lyric, because he sings it more or less straight...or that's how I hear it, anyway...
Yes, thank you! I could never understand why Goddard hated the lyrics so much to call it "lazy" and "disappointingly one-dimensional". While Johnny Marr stated on the numerous occasions that it was one of his all time favourite Smiths tracks.

I remember reading Q&A on his site, where he says that Unhappy Birthday is a great example of the synergy between his music and Morrissey's lyrics.

I don't know if Morrissey shares the sentiment, but I live with a hope that one day he may bring this song from the dead.

Cause you're evil
And you lie
And if you should die
I may feel slightly sad
(But I won't cry)

Last edited:
I love Shakespears Sister.

I think a lot of music on Kill Uncle is forgotten about, but I quite enjoy the album, especially the music, I think it's really "in it"

You fight with your right hand....

The Operation

Yes, it has a drum solo for an intro and yes it goes on too long. But I still find this track one of the most exciting of Morrissey's solo work. Love the lyrics too.

Re: You fight with your right hand....

Yes I Am Blind
Born to Hang
Interesting drug
Father Who Must Be Killed - one of the best tracks on ROTT but never given justice in my opinion in reviews from fans and media alike. Mozz didnt play it a great deal either!
Disappointed - even lisliked by Mozz and Stephen Street apparently!
Wide to Receive - I know people recognise its a good song but for me it should feature in more peoples top 3/5 songs! :D Did Mozz ever play it live?

The Hand That Rocks The Cradle - for me the most mesmerically poetic lyrics Morrissey has written. Incredibly crafted.

Last edited:
Re: You fight with your right hand....

Yes I Am Blind
Born to Hang
Interesting drug
Father Who Must Be Killed - one of the best tracks on ROTT but never given justice in my opinion in reviews from fans and media alike. Mozz didnt play it a great deal either!
Disappointed - even lisliked by Mozz and Stephen Street apparently!
Wide to Receive - I know people recognise its a good song but for me it should feature in more peoples top 3/5 songs! :D Did Mozz ever play it live?

The Hand That Rocks The Cradle - for me the most mesmerically poetic lyrics Morrissey has written. Incredibly crafted.

"Father Who Must Be Killed!" I've been listening to that one a lot lately - a fabulous song, overlooked (I think) partly because it's the ROTT track that's most obviously fiction, and a lot of Morrissey writing/discussion tends to center around the directly personal stories.

Nonetheless, it's a great premise, beautiful tune and has Morrissey portraying two characters and a narrator without breaking his vocal stride. Deserves a lot more love than it's getting.

"With this broken voice I beseech youuu!"

Last edited:
Roy´s keen is his most underrated song !

But not Roy Keane, Long live Alfie Haaland! Come on City!

haaland2.jpg

1. it is SIR Roy
2. after all this time i only understood Shakespeares Sister after i heard the version 'live in Madrid' on youtube
3. Wonderful Woman is more 'Smithsy' than anything else, very rich, very deep

Roy´s keen is his most underrated song !

But not Roy Keane, Long live Alfie Haaland! Come on City!
I'm a City fan and whilst I think Roy Keane is a terrible c***, I thought Haaland was absolutely shite for us.
And to answer the question Well I Wonder and Lucky Lisp.

There are so many...but one that springs to mind is Lucky Lisp. It's hardly ever mentioned but surely I'm not the only one who considers this a great song?

"Paint A Vulger Picture" is one a lot of people have picked but I love it so much! I think "Strangeways" was very underrated as an album. I also think "I Like You", "To Me You Are A Work Of Art" and "The National Front Disco" are brilliant tracks.

Two Moz-songs that immediately came to mind were The Loop and Satan rejected my soul.

Smithswise I'd have to say You just haven't earned it yet, baby, Oscillate wildly and Unhappy birthday.

Back
Top Bottom