Morrissey will play a special show at Santa Ana Observatory (California) on May 8th.

Re: Morrissey will play a special show at Santa Ana Observatory (California) on May 8th.

Morrissey picks some strange support acts, I have warmed to kristeen Young, Tom Jones ??? Cliff Richard ????. I would love to see Chvrches support him, anyone agree?

Re: Morrissey will play a special show at Santa Ana Observatory (California) on May 8th.

I moved out of California years ago. What sort of venue is similar in size to the Observatory? The Fonda? The Knitting Factory? The Roxy?

I moved out of California years ago. What sort of venue is similar in size to the Observatory? The Fonda? The Knitting Factory? The Roxy?

Way smaller than Fonda. Bigger than Roxy. It's about the size of two Troubadours without a balcony. Or two and a half Roxy's. Maybe three. It's in an industrial complex area of Orange County, what we call the "clean" side of Harbor Blvd., the dirty side being where all the OC hookers walk on the other side of the freeway.

Maybe it's like the size of the House of Blues floor only. No...it's smaller. This question is wracking my brain. The thing that's cool about it is that it's scalloped. There's actually two stages in the venue, the second is the Constellation Room which is even smaller, saw Menomena there. That room maybe holds 100 people and has a really cool bottle installation art piece on the side wall. Sometimes they hold two concerts the same night. My friends just saw Suicidal Tendencies in the Observatory stage and it got pretty crazy. There's three bars, a tiny one when you first walk in next to the bathrooms, a larger full bar in the back and a tiny bar Jesse-side of the stage that only does cans of beer if I recall. But the scalloped part is nice because you can see over the heads of the people in the pit and it puts you at eye level with the performer and you have something to lean up against. It's mostly standing, there are a few booths. It HAS to be GA, there's no technical seats. It's all painted black, it's not a beautiful theater by any stretch, it's just very intimate. I saw Calexico, Pinback, Built to Spill, Cat Power...someone else, oh SKIPPED seeing Mason Jennings there the other night because it was raining cats and dogs and my tires have seen better days. It's a great venue. I really hope theres a ticket limit so rich scalps don't snap up 20 tickets to sell. Also parking is free, there's a parking lot right in front. And there's a basketball hoop in the "green room" area where they park the buses, the musicians are always shooting hoops when you walk in, it's fun to see.

Last edited:

Okay, this is Built to Spill there. I'm in the first row of the first raised area that maybe can hold three rows of people, but it wraps around like a C from one side of the stage to the other. Then there's another row behind that that can hold maybe five rows of people. Those heads in the photo? That's all the pit will hold. Add a moat which Built to Spill doesn't need and it'll be an even smaller area. There's no bad view in the Observatory. It's tiny.

946861_10200783268571678_1907526663_n.jpg

Cat Power from that raised area.

537112_10200134671437155_482132890_n.jpg

Last edited:
It's half the size of the El Rey. I'm going there tomorrow to see Steve Malkmus, I'll do some square footage surveying. :D Actually come to think of it, it's a THIRD the size of the El Rey.

Last edited:

Okay, this is Built to Spill there. I'm in the first row of the first raised area that maybe can hold three rows of people, but it wraps around like a C from one side of the stage to the other. Then there's another row behind that that can hold maybe five rows of people. Those heads in the photo? That's all the pit will hold. Add a moat which Built to Spill doesn't need and it'll be an even smaller area. There's no bad view in the Observatory. It's tiny.

946861_10200783268571678_1907526663_n.jpg

Cat Power from that raised area.

537112_10200134671437155_482132890_n.jpg

Nice pictures. I would like to go now. I saw him at a place just a little bigger than this and it was great.

Morrissey picks some strange support acts, I have warmed to kristeen Young, Tom Jones ??? Cliff Richard ????. I would love to see Chvrches support him, anyone agree?

Justin Bieber suports Morrissey in one date, they gonna sing "The Kid's a looker" in a duet

Anyway, CG must be in love with Kristeen Young, always talks about KY it's so f***ing boring

Special show? Two words...Smiths reunion.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

there's a parking lot right in front. And there's a basketball hoop in the "green room" area where they park the buses, the musicians are always shooting hoops when you walk in, it's fun to see.

Does anyone think Morrissey is actually going to be "shooting hoops" with the homies? This reminds of how all the Brits like to have this fantasy that Morrissey plays soccer and that he supports their team called Watson Town United or some other stupid Brit soccer team name.

Onservatory is a third the size of the El Rey. If Morrissey took his shirt off and timed the trajectory just right and tossed it casually overhand, the person tending the bar in the back of the room could catch it.

This concludes my analysis of The Observatory.

Does anyone think Morrissey is actually going to be "shooting hoops" with the homies? This reminds of how all the Brits like to have this fantasy that Morrissey plays soccer and that he supports their team called Watson Town United or some other stupid Brit soccer team name.

Fugazi shoots hoops.

1554501_10152391218754276_879084992_n.jpg

I guess they could cram 1000 people in there. Maybe I've never been to a sold out show. I didn't even know it had a balcony. :p I go in the zone at shows.

c79925d881fb116b4b9be0c535b92665.jpg

946771_469971263087489_214646629_n.jpg

I guess they could cram 1000 people in there. Maybe I've never been to a sold out show. I didn't even know it had a balcony. :p I go in the zone at shows.

c79925d881fb116b4b9be0c535b92665.jpg

946771_469971263087489_214646629_n.jpg

Dunoon 3 years ago, 800 capacity sold out amazing one of the best shows ever

Anyone who calls football "soccer" is a c***.

Team names are the names of the places, it's US sports teams that come up with daft names. Also i don't know anyone who is obsessed with wanting him to support their team, no one cares.

It's fun playing sports. It's fun trying to get the ball in the net, through the goal, out of the park. Everyone thinks Morrissey just drinks tea, reads Oscar Wilde and dreams about Italian dick. I bet he would if he wasn't nervous as f***.

Anyone who calls football "soccer" is a c***.

To f***ing true but hey that's the modern morrissey audience..American c***s.
He rep in the UK is shot pretty much.
It's only America and far shot out posts that really fall for his shit

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom